Does anyone know what kind of chameleon this is?

MeruJack

Avid Member
I received my new chameleon today. Can you guess what kind it is?
Guess the Chameleon.PNG

Definitely a Trioceros. I'd like to say Trioceros nyirit because of the red dorsal crest but I don't believe any of those have ever been in collections stateside so I'll go with Trioceros hoehnelii.

He's so cool!

Thanks! I think so too! I have a female (and I had a male) but they're just greenish teal. This one has a yellow head, a cute yellow "beard", reddish eye lids AND I didn't even notice the red spikes on his back until after I put him in his new enclosure. I had wanted to get a good shot of him in his new home but all I got was his back end before he disappeared in the greenery. I didn't want to manhandle him just to get a better shot. When I was looking at the pic later, I noticed the red and enlarged the pic to get a better look. I was amazed! I'd never noticed red spikes on any other Hoehnelii. It's so cool! Does anyone know if they have different colors based on their original locale? I saw one on Chameleon Central that has a red head (it actually looks a little gruesome) and another one with a yellow head. Before seeing those two earlier this month, I had only seen green ones like my female (and deceased male). I LOVE MY NEW LITTLE GUY!

I am not so sure on everyones' identification, with the concentration of reds, blues, yellows and greens, I think it might be a Trioceros Guttahaveone. Please send to me...

CHEERS!

Nick

I am not so sure on everyones' identification, with the concentration of reds, blues, yellows and greens, I think it might be a Trioceros Guttahaveone. Please send to me...

CHEERS!

Nick

Guttahaveone, huh?! I'm looking at pics in the book Mountain Dragons. It says that the dorsal crest is "typically black in specimens from the central highlands and bright red in specimens from the western highlands." After my little guy settles in I'm definitely going to take some more detailed pics of him. Here he is entering his new home. If I hadn't snapped this one photo I wouldn't have noticed his great coloration. Wow!
image.jpeg

You are a fortunate keeper! I would say Montane species like living st your house...I'm just saying'

CHEERS!

Nick

Back
Top Bottom