Govee Smart plugs - What do you use?

elizaann2

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello to all my fabulous chameleon friends.

I FINALLY got my Govee sensors hooked up to my WiFi (it only took me like 3 weeks lol), and now I would like to get some smart plugs so I can turn things off and on while traveling or out. What Govee smart plugs does everyone use? I see there are many different kinds on Amazon and I want to get the right kind.

Thanks!

Some smart plugs require a hub to operate and tell them what to do. Some plugs run off an app on your smart phone but only when your phone is connected to wifi and giving those plugs the instructions you set. AKA you leave the house with your phone and the schedules you set do not work, because your phone isn’t connected to wifi. The Kasa smart plugs don’t need a hub. They “remember” the schedule you set, even if you unplug them and plug them in again, even after a power outage, and they don’t need your phone telling them what to do

Some smart plugs require a hub to operate and tell them what to do. Some plugs run off an app on your smart phone but only when your phone is connected to wifi and giving those plugs the instructions you set. AKA you leave the house with your phone and the schedules you set do not work, because your phone isn’t connected to wifi. The Kasa smart plugs don’t need a hub. They “remember” the schedule you set, even if you unplug them and plug them in again, even after a power outage, and they don’t need your phone telling them what to do
Ugh does that mean my Govee sensors won’t tell me the temps when I am out of my house?

I
Kasa smart plug 100%. Don’t bother with anything else. I have used four different brands and they all had issues aside from the Kasa plugs. They were the best rated by the New York Times also.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-HS10...ocphy=9007220&hvtargid=pla-451135153585&psc=1
I Love the kasa smart strip. Easy to program each plug indivually. Comes with 3 or 6 plugs plus USB plugs which I use for the small computer fan at the top of the enclosure. https://a.co/d/4GvubwL

Ugh does that mean my Govee sensors won’t tell me the temps when I am out of my house?
Did it come with a box to plug into the wall? I don’t know what it’s called. But that’s how you get it to do Wi-Fi.

I use the kasa smart strip and that has worked well. I have literally just enough plugs for everything because I daisy chain my jungle dawn and my mister is usb plug.

If your Govee sensors are Bluetooth, they only send info when you are in range. If they are wifi, they send info thats accessed via the app. Most of the Govee sensors are wifi and includes a small hub. My Govee came with 3 sensors but it is expandable. I purchased a single sensor because I needed 4 total.

Last edited:
If your Govee sensors are Bluetooth, they only send info when you are in range. If they are wifi, they send info thats accessed via the app. Most of the Govee sensors are wifi and includes a small hub. My Govee came with 3 sensors but it is expandable. I purchased a single sensor because I needed 4 total.
Looks like this one is also Wi-Fi but it doesn’t have that gateway plug like the little rectangle ones. @elizaann2 try looking at it when you leave the house next. It appears they don’t all have that little wall plug in.

Attachments

• IMG_7498.png
    IMG_7498.png
    177 KB · Views: 41
Can you set timers on this?
Yes. Each plug can be individually timed/scheduled. My UVB, heat bulb,mister, and fogger are all on one strip. Each is set with its own off/on time. Programming the Kasa strip is easy. The six plug strip would be the way to go. Initially, I purchased the 3 plug- returned it for the six plug. I also have my shop vac plugged in but not on a timer. It's a strip but Each plug acts as an individual.

Hello to all my fabulous chameleon friends.

I FINALLY got my Govee sensors hooked up to my WiFi (it only took me like 3 weeks lol), and now I would like to get some smart plugs so I can turn things off and on while traveling or out. What Govee smart plugs does everyone use? I see there are many different kinds on Amazon and I want to get the right kind.

Thanks!

Be careful which plugs you get!!! Not all of them have the same features. For example, weeks back, I had a power outage. I have my mister and fogger hooked up to my smart plugs. This was early-late afternoon. When the power came back on.... everything turned on!!! The mister and the fogger. Middle of the day, forcing Spike to retreat lower in his enclosure (he was NOT happy about this lol.)

I noticed it immediately only because I was watching him on his camera at work as I always do. Otherwise, it would have just been misting and fogging on him all day until I got home!

With that being said, my plugs are actually really good. This was USER error on my part. There is a setting that tells the plugs what to do if they lose power, when the power kicks back on. Mine were set to "turn on" and they needed to be set to "remember last status"

Now that I know this, all is well even in a power outage. However, if the plugs you get do NOT have this setting, you may find yourself in a similar situation.

And it could obviously happen at night to, so IMO, the risk is kinda great IF you use the plugs to turn everything on/off.

Here are the plugs I am using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B8YQF7L4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will say that my home internet is kind of weird sometimes and there was a couple times where the lights didn’t do what they were supposed to and I had to unplug and plug it back in to make it go online again. Hasn’t done it in a long time and that’s an issue with the internet and not the smart strip.

Low key what I’m hoping for it took me so stinking long to hook the sensors up to the internet and figure out the app I just am not tech savvy like that…
These were easy to hook up to the app... You add them one at a time. There is a push button on the side of them to sinc them with the app. Label them for what they are hooked to.

So when you first get into the app this is what you will see. I have all my lighting on these except my basking runs off the herpstat.

IMG_8336.PNG

Then when you click into one

IMG_8337.PNG

These were easy to hook up to the app... You add them one at a time. There is a push button on the side of them to sinc them with the app. Label them for what they are hooked to.

So when you first get into the app this is what you will see. I have all my lighting on these except my basking runs off the herpstat.

View attachment 343581

Then when you click into one

View attachment 343582
Fantastic I need easy

Yes. Each plug can be individually timed/scheduled. My UVB, heat bulb,mister, and fogger are all on one strip. Each is set with its own off/on time. Programming the Kasa strip is easy. The six plug strip would be the way to go. Initially, I purchased the 3 plug- returned it for the six plug. I also have my shop vac plugged in but not on a timer. It's a strip but Each plug acts as an individual.
I wish I would have known Kasa had an outlet strip before I bought my plugs. It’s so awesome they can be individually programmed

Back
Top Bottom