Do Crepe Myrtle Branches Go Bad?

Hillary anne

Established Member
Hi there, my panther chameleon is currently at the vet being treated for foot liasons. I am wondering if the cause is the Crepe Myrle branch that he's had for 3 years in his enclosure? I bought the branch rep-safe from DFW Reptarium and wonder if they have a lifespan- as the branches dry out and are underneath UVB/Heat. After running my fingers along it this am i noticed some rough spots.

IF so, we have a tooon of Crepe Myrtle trees out front. I am wondering if there is a way I can cut these myself and treat/make them herpsafe (getting from the reptile store, they were NOT cheap).

I’ve got tons of crepe myrtles too, many beautiful variations. They don’t “go bad” in my experience. Just cut them to size, hit them with the water hose, let dry in the sun for a few days and install. Some people will advocate for sterilization and baking them but it’s not required. Won’t hurt but not required.
here in texas I imagine they may bake on their own XD Lol.

I am not familiar with Crepe Myrtle, but branches with roughness are preferred as climbing surfaces, as wood dowels and bamboo make the chameleon exert more force to navigate on the slick surface. A more typical problem with chameleon feet is infections which can result in sores, you might want to make sure your vet is aware of this information.

CHEERS!

Nick

I am not familiar with Crepe Myrtle, but branches with roughness are preferred as climbing surfaces, as wood dowels and bamboo make the chameleon exert more force to navigate on the slick surface. A more typical problem with chameleon feet is infections which can result in sores, you might want to make sure your vet is aware of this information.

CHEERS!

Nick
Yes, he is currently staying at the vet having his sores treated, which made me wonder if they came from sharper/rougher parts of the 3 year old branch. Or the mesh screen as he tends to be curious about that. I am redoing his whole habitat to prevent this in the future. I’ve been using fluckers to sterilize and am wondering if I should be using something different To clean his cage

to
Hi there, my panther chameleon is currently at the vet being treated for foot liasons. I am wondering if the cause is the Crepe Myrle branch that he's had for 3 years in his enclosure? I bought the branch rep-safe from DFW Reptarium and wonder if they have a lifespan- as the branches dry out and are underneath UVB/Heat. After running my fingers along it this am i noticed some rough spots.

IF so, we have a tooon of Crepe Myrtle trees out front. I am wondering if there is a way I can cut these myself and treat/make them herpsafe (getting from the reptile store, they were NOT cheap).

are they the same as Crape Myrtle? Lagerstroemia Indica?

Foot problems tend to come from unrelieved pressure in the same part of the foot constantly. I try to vary the size of the branches and the angle of placement so my chameleons use different parts of their foot as they move about.
A puncture would could be another source of the infection and it is spreading from that. There is nothing wrong with getting new branches periodically. generally cleaning may not be essential but because you don't want to introduce any new bacteria into those open wounds I would treat the branches.
Here is a link to some of the things I use to clean. Cage Cleaning • Sanitation it's sexier than you think (Part 1)

Foot problems tend to come from unrelieved pressure in the same part of the foot constantly. I try to vary the size of the branches and the angle of placement so my chameleons use different parts of their foot as they move about.
A puncture would could be another source of the infection and it is spreading from that. There is nothing wrong with getting new branches periodically. generally cleaning may not be essential but because you don't want to introduce any new bacteria into those open wounds I would treat the branches.
Here is a link to some of the things I use to clean. Cage Cleaning • Sanitation it's sexier than you think (Part 1)
I'll check this out! Thank you. He does have a wide variety of vines and branches in there but is due for a reboot.

Back
Top Bottom