DIY Rain system - will it work ?

jondavis30

I've seen this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVGz1FHNhuI&feature=related.

However, i cant seem to pick up any 2000 litre per hour pumps that the guy mentioned.

considering that i only need this for 1 flexarium for 1 chameleon, would it be possible to use a maxijet 600 to replicate ?

I've not owned a chameleon before, however have done plenty of research on what they like / don't like and researched their care plans.

It is a rain system that i'm after and i'd probably run it around 1-2 minutes every 4 hours for 12 hours and stop it overnight or something ?

Can anyone help out with this ? cheers.

MistKing

It will probably be simpler for you to just get a MistKing. All the jinks have been worked out for you.

The only problem i have with that is the cost associated wiith the MistKing, i do want to eventually get one, but with the set up and everything for the first time, it's difficult to budget for one.

I do agree that the mist king is ace, but i don't have the funds to get one just yet.

Ah. It's just that I inured the prices I've seen for pumps is pretty high, then when you factor in nozzles and joints & whatnot and trial and error and possible flooding & ruining things, lol! I would think the hundy would be worth all the fuss, for what I imagine would by then end be pretty minimal savings, if that pump costs anywhere near what I imagine it might.

I 've found a mister that will do a decent job.

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/rep...ile-misters-810/zoo-med-habba-mist-26151.html

Don't think it will be as good as the Mist King, but it will certainly do the trick, and definately works out cheaper than the home made system i was considering.

Does anyone have any tips on how i should arrange things inside the enclosure, i have a rough idea but i was wondering if there is anything required to meet specific needs of a chameleon other than making sure the basking area is of optiumum height and designing the main environment as high to the top as possible.

Thanks

I agree, with the cost of the pump and all you would need for this project, the final costs would be close if not even more money then just buying a mistking or aquazamp.

Aquazamp also offers a raindome system and my chameleons love it. nothing is closer to real rain then the raindome.
yet I also like the mistking timmer the best. so you can't go wrong with what ever you choose.

edit: oh, you do not want to get a habba spit. you really don't.

Harry

I agree, with the cost of the pump and all you would need for this project, the final costs would be close if not even more money then just buying a mistking or aquazamp.

Aquazamp also offers a raindome system and my chameleons love it. nothing is closer to real rain then the raindome.
yet I also like the mistking timmer the best. so you can't go wrong with what ever you choose.

edit: oh, you do not want to get a habba spit. you really don't.

Harry

Is the Habba Spit quite ineffective then ? At the minute i have a dripper which i was given with a complete set up that i bought, which will do for a bit, but need something a bit better than that, because i know chameleons like a lot of water and humidity.

I'm from the UK and it seems its very difficult to get hold of a mistking here anyway, seems to be that it's only available in the USA and Canada.

The Habba Mist seems the only option, but after reading a couple of other forums and posts on this forum, they're quite poor and the pump isn't powerful enough.

The only problem i have is that I commute around 20 miles to / from work and therefore, can't come back half way through the day to spray mist.

I'm going to have the flexarium running for at least a week before i get my chameleon, i want to make sure everything is running properly, i don't want the cham to drown and at the same time, have too little water.

I've just found a misting system similar to the Mistking : http://www.vivariumland.com/product_info.php?cPath=135&products_id=139

Was wondering if this will be just as easy to use ? Its 119 Euro, which is around £100 with the exchange rate as it is at the minute.

why not just handspray with a diy dripper setup? a rain system doesnt seem to be essential for 1 cham?

The only problem with doing that is i leave the house at 445 in the morning to get to work for 730, then dont get back till about 4.30 / 5.

thats a 12hr day period with no moisture which is the problem.

I'm just looking at all the options before i decide on doing anything.

your q about the pump

listen if you are lookding for a pump and cant find the exact pum just get a bigger one and use a little more tube. this will decrease the presure and give you the psi you need. you may have to test it a few times to get it rite but you will get it to work

I too do long shifts at work, and have had to rely on my family to hand mist Ringo. This is much easier for them now he is in his new (DIY) enclosure, but can still be difficult.

My Exo Terra Monsoon RS 400 gave up on me recently. The timer failed and ran itself dry, and all day :mad: Being the kind of person I am, I stripped it down. For the price I paid for it, the parts inside are 'poor' to say the least.... and no, i would not recommend them to anyone !

Sourcing a good system in the UK is a pain in the backside, and still fairly expensive. I have managed to find all the components and put them together. I tested it today and wow, its great. Much much better than the Monsoon, and much more flexible from a timing point of view (battery backed up 7 day 8 programme timer) !

Obviously I need to test this over the next few weeks, then I can install it in his new home ;)

Total cost of the project is a touch under £75. But, thats with approximately 90ft of hosing and 20 nozzles :eek: So far I've tested it with 8 nozzles running and it works an absolute treat.

If it stands the durability test, I will post some pictures and video of it :)

Back
Top Bottom