Disaster waiting to happen?

symphonica

This was a paludarium designed by Aquarium Design Group in TX. They've removed this photo from their website. It's a really neat set-up, and this company does amazing aquarium set-ups, but perhaps a chameleon wasn't the best choice as an inhabitant for this one...
ADG.jpg

That is a horrible set up for a chameleon! I hope they just put him in there for the picture and that was not his actual set up. The water hazard and there is no where for him to climb make it less than ideal. I was at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and they had a panther in a similar set up with water but the cage was like 8 feet tall and there were all kinds of branches and vines for him to climb on. He was way up at the very top, but it still made me very nervous!

My boyfriend and I were at one point thinking of a similar set-up, however we were going to put a mesh layer between the 'terrarium' part and the aquarium in case of falls.. decided it was too much maintenance, too risky, and didn't want the possibility of messing with cross-contaminations of bacteria between the two ecosystems!
Totally agree though, this system looks terrible, hopefully he's just up there for a few seconds for a nice view!!

I feel like that chameleon in the video would have eventually drowned if it ran out of energy before it reached a route to dry land.

In this paludarium, I wonder how the cham feels about the fish that are constantly moving below him? And the poor guy barely has anything to climb on.

I feel like that chameleon in the video would have eventually drowned if it ran out of energy before it reached a route to dry land.

In this paludarium, I wonder how the cham feels about the fish that are constantly moving below him? And the poor guy barely has anything to climb on.

Chameleons float; have you ever seen one get all angry and puff up? That's air, air floats.

I would be more concerned that the level of humidity along with any bacterial load in the water could cause some sort of RI, not to mention the lack of climbing area.

I do wonder how a cham would react to fish, would he shoot at them? I doubt they would cause much stress though, too small and non threatening.

LLL set up a terrarium with water for substrate for one of their customers in a very dry climate. (they posted it on their fb page a week or so ago). Similar idea but the water was shallow, very (obscenely well) filtered, and there is appropriate climbing area. In a very dry area this might be appropriate ( I'm on the fence). I would be interested in anyone's results from trying chams on a paludarium or other concerns.

Chameleons float; have you ever seen one get all angry and puff up? That's air, air floats.

For how long, though? For hours until he eventually gets to the shore? If what you're saying is 100% successful, there should be absolutely no cases of chameleons dying from drowning.

Was probably just put together for the photo for advertising.

Bad composition that does not reflect the needs of the chameleon, that's for sure.

But he was probably in there just long enough for the photographer to do his thing...

Bad composition that does not reflect the needs of the chameleon, that's for sure.

Can anyone think of an animal that would do well in such a set-up? I've been into aquarium keeping for years now, and have always wanted to set up something like this, but have yet to find an animal suitable for it. They'll either drown or eat the fish...

Can anyone think of an animal that would do well in such a set-up? I've been into aquarium keeping for years now, and have always wanted to set up something like this, but have yet to find an animal suitable for it. They'll either drown or eat the fish...

Mudskippers and some amphibians (some newts or chorus frogs or the like) would be okay as long as you weren't trying to breed them. Nothing else springs to mind but there probably are others.

And I'm sure you're right, with no immediate escape a cham would eventually drown in time. I've not heard of them drowning in captivity though. Maybe if it was startled while asleep and fell into water, or already really weak and sick (likely if being kept like this).

Back
Top Bottom