Dehydration??? How can i help my chameleon to drink???

KalaiDaCham

Lately my jackson chams have stopped drnking? I mist them about 3-5 times a day for about 10 minutes. But none of them seem to drink.I have a couple drippers as well as a little waterfall thing. The only reason i think they are dehydrated would be because their eyes are sinking in a little. Any help would be appreciated.

Lately my jackson chams have stopped drnking? I mist them about 3-5 times a day for about 10 minutes. But none of them seem to drink.I have a couple drippers as well as a little waterfall thing. The only reason i think they are dehydrated would be because their eyes are sinking in a little. Any help would be appreciated.
Can you post a picture of him? sunken eyes sometime mean other than dehydratation! how is the poop?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Here are some pics of her.

Can you post a picture of him? sunken eyes sometime mean other than dehydratation! how is the poop?
And i cant really tell anything about the poop because i have about 4 , 2 babies and 2 adult females, all in a huge cage. So its kind of hard to tell anythin about the poop

They are all housed in the same cage? Based on your other thread, you are catching them all as well?

If that's the case, you need to put them in separate cages where they can't see each other. Imagine being out in the wild then thrown into a cage with three others, that's probably a huge stress factor on them.

Is there a reason why you're catching so many?

Last edited:
Like JacksJill said...

The female is usually the one intimidated. It can work, but its better if they are separate. Also, the waterfalls are troublesome. They harbor bacteria. They are ok to have in the closet in case your cham becomes dehydrated or youre taking a weekend away, but if left running all the time they will get bacteria. Since you are fighting dehydration, I recommend using it but clean the waterfall daily with hot water and a toothbrush until the hydration issue is taken care of then cleaning the waterfall with a 5 to 1 bleach to water solution, let it dry out completely, then put it away until needed.

You also can feed hornworms to help hydrate the chams. They have a lot of water in them.

Like JacksJill said...

The female is usually the one intimidated. It can work, but its better if they are separate. Also, the waterfalls are troublesome. They harbor bacteria. They are ok to have in the closet in case your cham becomes dehydrated or youre taking a weekend away, but if left running all the time they will get bacteria. Since you are fighting dehydration, I recommend using it but clean the waterfall daily with hot water and a toothbrush until the hydration issue is taken care of then cleaning the waterfall with a 5 to 1 bleach to water solution, let it dry out completely, then put it away until needed.

You also can feed hornworms to help hydrate the chams. They have a lot of water in them.
Ooo i think ill try to get some hornworms aswell !!! Wow i didnt know that they gave water aswell!! Thanks for the info.

If more cages aren't available try making dividers inside the cages and see if they don't perk up.
It takes an incredibly large cage to house any of them together. Pregnant females may refuse to have their clutch/litter in crowded conditions with dire consequences.

If more cages aren't available try making dividers inside the cages and see if they don't perk up.
It takes an incredibly large cage to house any of them together. Pregnant females may refuse to have their clutch/litter in crowded conditions with dire consequences.
Oh ok thats good to know. Ill do so now.

How big would the cage have to be to be able to fit 2 without them getting intimidated ?

How big would the cage have to be to be able to fit 2 without them getting intimidated ?
about 200cm by 200cm minimum with 2 basking, 2 uvb and 2 rest spot (to avoid competition for the "best territory" and there is no warranty at all, sometime ti work sometime no, I house all my melleri together in a freerange (well.. I got 3 (2 female 1 male) the space of the freerange is about 550cmx550cmx400 and they found a way to fight (no real fight.. just some "get away from my place")

Your girl look dehydrated and sick too, did she eat? they all are wc? she have a laying bin (belly look a bit big too me and nails are super sharp.. maybe she just carrying egg and getting egg bounded.. if its the case she will never lay in front of the other and need privacy ?

So with no doubt now you should house this girl separately with laying bin no waterfall, good misting, a fogger at night, good uvb and some peace.

that way you will be able to track the poop too.. but can you still describe me last poop (any adult poop on the cage) this can reveal parasite presence or dehydratation

I also forget one thing, it is possible too show picture of the cage and tell the temperature? Jackson need lower temperatures with the summer coming maybe your temperature getting too high

about 200cm by 200cm minimum with 2 basking, 2 uvb and 2 rest spot (to avoid competition for the "best territory" and there is no warranty at all, sometime ti work sometime no, I house all my melleri together in a freerange (well.. I got 3 (2 female 1 male) the space of the freerange is about 550cmx550cmx400 and they found a way to fight (no real fight.. just some "get away from my place")

Your girl look dehydrated and sick too, did she eat? they all are wc? she have a laying bin (belly look a bit big too me and nails are super sharp.. maybe she just carrying egg and getting egg bounded.. if its the case she will never lay in front of the other and need privacy ?

So with no doubt now you should house this girl separately with laying bin no waterfall, good misting, a fogger at night, good uvb and some peace.

that way you will be able to track the poop too.. but can you still describe me last poop (any adult poop on the cage) this can reveal parasite presence or dehydratation
If she was pregnant i wouldnt need a lay bin because jacksons give live birth...

But thanks for the info!!!

Back
Top Bottom