Daytona 2010 August 20 - 22nd......

PardalisGirl

Avid Member
AJA's post about a new reptile show in Seattle got me thinking about Daytona. This year I have a perfect opportunity to go. I adjusted all my breeding/egg laying activity so I won't have any eggs hatching or babies to take care of for several months around the Daytona show time period. My Hubby can mist and feed chameleons, but eggs and babies are out of his depth.

I talked to him again today and he says I'm going to Daytona for sure. He's the one working, paying the bills and mostly paying for the reptile expenses, so I don't just make plans to do something like that on my own. We also had a lot of things go wrong with the house in the last few months and I was feeling guilty about wanting to spend money on a trip. The Hubby travels a lot and builds up airline miles that are transferable to the airlines that service Daytona. Says he will have enough miles to send me first class round trip :) So the cost will be minimized quite a bit.

It's never too early to plan for this....I'm going to book the flight and hotel next week. I'd like to keep this thread going and have other people chime in if they plan to attend......as an attendee or a vendor. I'm willing to help vendors during the show if they need a break to take the show in for themselves.

Well, I'm all jazzed up now. Got to get off this computer and clean some chameleon poop!

I will certainly be there and look super-forward to meeting you! This year I plan to be there for both days. If you can get in the Hilton-it is directly accross the street and on the water-and a very nice place to stay. I guess I should be seeing if I can book there myself!

That's awesome Catherine! You can help me at my booth if you would like! (...and I can always use the help at Daytona because it gets quite busy!) I will actually have 2 booths this year - I have partnered up with an unnamed forum member (to be revealed closer to show time) and we are planning to have some pretty cool stuff (aside from my own). AND, I have some new gecko designs that you will like.....:D

That's so great that you will be able to come! (now you just need to drag Elliot and Sandy with you....) Keep me updated.

I am goign to for sure. I cant wait to meet you. Last year was amazing and im sure this year will be a lot better.I think i should start saving money to get something there:)

Is there any more details about the show?

I'd love to help!

I'd love to help you! And I can't wait to meet you, Juli, in person. Both of you have at least one of my offspring. I actually went to Daytona three years ago. I met a few forum members there. I spent a lot of time with a good friend Scott Corning who does the Daytona show every year. He had a cover of Reptiles Magazine last year with a monster Hydrosaurus dragon (mine all went to him for breeding in the Florida sun) and he had another great article on Frilled Dragons in the same magazine later in the year. He always wows people with his animals. I've known him (and his lovely wife) for a long time.

I will probably arrive on setup day and leave the day after the show. I stayed at the Daytona Hilton last time. It is SO convenient. They have a shuttle from the Daytona airport too. I booked in the February before the show last time and got a room there. They fill up with vendors fast.

This is super exciting. I know a lot more people from the forum now :)

I was sure I was going to get a few booths there, but I still think this year I'm just going to go and walk around (buy) all weekend. It's still a show where tortoises sell for very low prices, so not a huge incentive for me to vend there (I would either go there and sell nothing, or go there and sell everything for nothing). I still think I'm going to just go - probably will also be booking everything in the next month or two just so I don't change my mind in the meantime. Hotel rooms are always very in demand that weekend, so anyone even thinking about getting one should sign up ASAP, and just cancel or transfer it to someone else if you don't end up going.

Now the real question.... Bring the wife, or don't bring the wife?

I'll be there with my hubby and we'll be staying at the Hilton across the street. Looking forward to meeting you. We'll have to shared cell phone numbers a little closer to time so we can meet up. This show it big and last year C F members were there that I never could find. :eek:

I'll be there but I'll leave my money at home so I don't impulse buy like I would have had I brought some last year ( parson's ) :D

I am pretty sure chad and I are going and also probably Ryan and Lisa with us. And Tyler, YES bring sarah!!!!!! Then we can all hang out and it'll be a fun time. We can take the same flight too! :)

Problem is, if I bring her, then I'm stuck walking down the beach at night with her. I'm stuck spending $60 per night for a dinner for 2. I'm stuck probably shopping for clothes and shoes, and I'm stuck paying for 2 flights into there instead of 1. If I go alone, I can do a I want, hang out with who I want, spend the money on something productive, and won't get stuck anywhere I don't want to be. I would also need a babysitter for the kid (and no, we're not going to bring a baby on a 4 day trip to FL). Plus, alone, I could probably find someone to split the room with 50-50, which would also save money. If I was going to vend at the show, she would go for sure because it would be justified and I'd need her help. If I go alone, I want to keep it a lean, low cost trip to go have fun for 4 days and spend any money I can come up with on something from the show. Decisions, decisions.....

I'd like to meet her......

Problem is, if I bring her, then I'm stuck walking down the beach at night with her. I'm stuck spending $60 per night for a dinner for 2. I'm stuck probably shopping for clothes and shoes, and I'm stuck paying for 2 flights into there instead of 1. If I go alone, I can do a I want, hang out with who I want, spend the money on something productive, and won't get stuck anywhere I don't want to be. I would also need a babysitter for the kid (and no, we're not going to bring a baby on a 4 day trip to FL). Plus, alone, I could probably find someone to split the room with 50-50, which would also save money. If I was going to vend at the show, she would go for sure because it would be justified and I'd need her help. If I go alone, I want to keep it a lean, low cost trip to go have fun for 4 days and spend any money I can come up with on something from the show. Decisions, decisions.....

I wish she would come just so I could meet your "other half". She married a smart guy :) Didn't know you had a baby now. Belated congrats! I met you at the show I attended (three years ago, or was it four? I need to look that up.) and you were such a young guy that seemed not to have a care in the world. Now you are "all grown up" with a wife, baby, etc. Makes me feel so old Tyler! Can't wait to see everyone. Last time I sat and drank beer with friends at a table next to the beach at the Daytona Hilton until morning. I laughed so hard I was hoarse the next day. Never went to sleep. Had a blast. I'm not too old to drink some beers and laugh a lot. I'm booking my room tomorrow. And looking at the flight situation too! Not sure what I'm going to be in the market for......I may have to have hubby put a limit on the credit cards :)

I am really looking forward to meeting the Tiki crew and Tyler!:D:D and everyone else thats going. i plan on meeting a lot more people then the last year

I wish she would come just so I could meet your "other half". She married a smart guy :) Didn't know you had a baby now. Belated congrats! I met you at the show I attended (three years ago, or was it four? I need to look that up.) and you were such a young guy that seemed not to have a care in the world. Now you are "all grown up" with a wife, baby, etc. Makes me feel so old Tyler! Can't wait to see everyone. Last time I sat and drank beer with friends at a table next to the beach at the Daytona Hilton until morning. I laughed so hard I was hoarse the next day. Never went to sleep. Had a blast. I'm not too old to drink some beers and laugh a lot. I'm booking my room tomorrow. And looking at the flight situation too! Not sure what I'm going to be in the market for......I may have to have hubby put a limit on the credit cards :)

Well, I have a 7 year old also, so I'm not just getting to this parenting thing nowadays (it just took me 2 tries to find the right wife).... My boy "Hunter" had been in tow with me at a few shows this year selling stuffed lizards and other reptiles. At the Vegas show, I think he made more than I did (his website is www.StuffedReptiles.com). The baby "Mack" just hit 10 months old a few days ago, and has been walking for 2-3 weeks now.

We'll see about Daytona.... If tortoise money is flowing well this summer, we may just do the show (vend) to say we did the show. I'll be there either way. I remember meeting you (at the FLChams booth), but if I remember right, you had a "friend" with you that is/was a certified "Tyler Hater," so it was a little weird at the time....

Your story reminds me of Daytona in 2008.... We were up all night, laughing the whole time. I think I got back to my room at 5AM. Josh Boysen, Chris Carter, Chris Anderson, and a few others were there. I think Mike brought his wife with him, so he had a mandatory 10:00 bedtime. Good times.

My boy "Hunter" had been in tow with me at a few shows this year selling stuffed lizards and other reptiles. At the Vegas show, I think he made more than I did (his website is www.StuffedReptiles.com).

So that's where the stuffed animals come from? That's too cute!

but if I remember right, you had a "friend" with you that is/was a certified "Tyler Hater," so it was a little weird at the time....
I haets yoo Tylur! :cool:

Your story reminds me of Daytona in 2008.... We were up all night, laughing the whole time. I think I got back to my room at 5AM. Josh Boysen, Chris Carter, Chris Anderson, and a few others were there. I think Mike brought his wife with him, so he had a mandatory 10:00 bedtime. Good times.

LOL, 2010 repeat? That was such a fun show. You missed a good one last year too though. As much as I want to meet Red finally, I heard she holds a tight leash and we already have one 10pm bedtime in the group.

Chris

Problem is, if I bring her, then I'm stuck walking down the beach at night with her. I'm stuck spending $60 per night for a dinner for 2. I'm stuck probably shopping for clothes and shoes, and I'm stuck paying for 2 flights into there instead of 1.

Bahahahaha Tyler I can always expect a good laugh out of your comments on here.

Back
Top Bottom