Dark 4 month old Panther.

raven1139

Established Member
I believe the temps are good...basking is 82, room temp 70's (75 watt heat bulb/Reptisun 5.0 linear). I had a veiled under a 100 watt but he was gaping, should I use this instead? But he is dark, almost black most of the time, and feces/ urates are healthy. Unless he is stimulated with food/water or handling. Is this ok/normal? He is eating and drinking great, and seems very healthy overall. His color are coming in well when they show.

Attachments

• photo (16).jpg
    photo (16).jpg
    238 KB · Views: 147
  • photo(14).jpg
    photo(14).jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 196
  • WP_20140406_002.jpg
    WP_20140406_002.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 194
If you havn't had him long could just be the stress . It can take months for them to settle. One of my males was very dark for about 2 months when I first got him but I would notice If I was sitting quite a distance away he was nice and light. Your temps sound fine but you could try raising them a little bit (basking to around 85) see if there is any change the 100watt might be too hot unless you can raise it up somehow. I dont think this is the issue though.
He is lovely by the way can definately see his colours coming in the second photo.

Welcome to the forums!
chameleons are sometimes dark when they are basking. He looks perfectly normal and healthy in the pictures. I wouldn't worry too much. As long as he isn't really dark when in the shade, and he is eating good, and his urates are white, then you don't have anything to worry about. New chams will also be a little stressed for a couple of weeks or so. Good luck!

If you have any questions about your husbandry, then fill out the how to ask for help form located in the health clinic section of our forums, and we can let you know if you are doing everything right.

Thanks for the help. I ended up using the 100 watt heat bulb and moved the dome forward. He looks better so far...

I would also add some more plants in there. It is kinda sparce. They like alot of foilage, especially in the beginning when they are more timid about everything around them.

hey hun

lovely new cham.

his home looks real nice.a bigger bushy taller plant to the back right of his home would finish it off nicely.its still a little sparse higher up.somewhere he can hide and be out of sight if he wants to, so hes not always exposed.the more comfortable he is will help him settle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom