Cross Breeding

redlupin

I know that a lot ya'll on here are against two cham species hookin up, but I am very curious to know if it has ever happened or could be possible for a veiled cham and a jackson to successfully breed. Any thoughts? I just think it would be awesome to see a cham with a large veil and some horns popping out. Let me know what you guys think. And its been a while since I've been on here so for anyone that doesnt know me...Sup?

It is impossible. There are 20+ threads on this same topic-so you should be able to find lots to read. Welcome back!

Yea cross breeding locales is one thing, because Panthers are all Panthers. But A jackson and a veiled are completely different species.

So it wouldn't be possible even if it were like a test tube setting? Maybe some crazy biologist would do it....hmmm

Heres how it goes, chameleons of the Furcifer complex can interbreed, there have been cases of F. oustaleti x F. pardalis, just like Ch. calyptratus x Ch. arabicus can interbreed. If a chameleon is of the same genus then they will probably be able to interbreed, otherwise their genitalia are uncompatable.

Man this is gonna bug me, I'm sure theres a way to play God and get something to happen. I'll have to contact my bio buddies...

Maybe some crazy biologist would do it....hmmm

Why would they want to?

Hybridization of these two taxa is not possible. The genus Chamaeleo has a karyotype 2n=24=12M+12m while Trioceros have a karyotype 2n=36=12M+24m in the T. cristatus complex and 2n=24=20M+4m in the T. bitaeniatus complex. They simply are not compatible.

Chris

Why would they want to?

Hybridization of these two taxa is not possible. The genus Chamaeleo has a karyotype 2n=24=12M+12m while Trioceros have a karyotype 2n=36=12M+24m in the T. cristatus complex and 2n=24=20M+4m in the T. bitaeniatus complex. They simply are not compatible.

Chris

As always, Dr. House clears all confusion. Thanks Chris

Back
Top Bottom