vivarium in vegas

sketchtone

So I have been looking into getting a cham for a while longer than a year, but have recently started a move to Nevada, Vegas specifically. I will be looking into getting a Jacksons or a Veiled because humidity is really low there and Panthers just need too high humidity for me to be comfortable as a first time cham owner. I think the best idea for a vivarium would be a hybrid and I would mist extra if need be. I haven't set up a viv yet because it would be a pain to set up and then take apart for a cross-country move, and don't know how much (if any) extra misting will need to be done. has anyone else had success keeping chams in Nevada? if so, are there any tips to making it comfy for them?

Night time humidity is going to be an issue for you no matter which of the three popular species you get. You may have to mist overnight or use a fogger depending on your household conditions. I agree that a hybrid cage will be necessary.

I live in AZ with virtually no humidity. I have a full hybrid enclosure, lots of live plants, and I run a mistking with longer sessions and then a few short sessions at night. I have to run an air conditioner in the room at night to get the temps down to 65.

Biggest challenge in hot no humidity areas is setting up the cage properly to support the health of the chameleon. Too hot and humid and you deal with respiratory infections.

Veileds are the most tolerant but still have to have a minimum of 30-40% daytime humidity. Ambient temps for a Veiled daytime are low 70's.

I would wait to look into getting one until after you move. I have done a move to another state and it was not easy and very stressful for the cham.

I live in AZ with virtually no humidity. I have a full hybrid enclosure, lots of live plants, and I run a mistking with longer sessions and then a few short sessions at night. I have to run an air conditioner in the room at night to get the temps down to 65.

Biggest challenge in hot no humidity areas is setting up the cage properly to support the health of the chameleon. Too hot and humid and you deal with respiratory infections.

Veileds are the most tolerant but still have to have a minimum of 30-40% daytime humidity. Ambient temps for a Veiled daytime are low 70's.

I would wait to look into getting one until after you move. I have done a move to another state and it was not easy and very stressful for the cham.
I'm 100% waiting until after I get settled there to start a vivarium and get it working and ready. I am a first time cham owner and would not want to put a brand new cham under the stress, or any cham, really. I am worried for temperature and keeping plants alive, but I think I can get that under control and make it work correctly before I get the cham. My plan is to get there and then start setting up the enclosure, and when it's fully thriving, then look into getting one. That's really smart with the aircon at night, I was thinking about getting a portable one for night.

Night time humidity is going to be an issue for you no matter which of the three popular species you get. You may have to mist overnight or use a fogger depending on your household conditions. I agree that a hybrid cage will be necessary.
I'm going to get a fogger for sure. I'm also going to check humidity levels at night and make sure it's good (and consistent) before I look into getting a cham.

I'm 100% waiting until after I get settled there to start a vivarium and get it working and ready. I am a first time cham owner and would not want to put a brand new cham under the stress, or any cham, really. I am worried for temperature and keeping plants alive, but I think I can get that under control and make it work correctly before I get the cham. My plan is to get there and then start setting up the enclosure, and when it's fully thriving, then look into getting one. That's really smart with the aircon at night, I was thinking about getting a portable one for night.
So as long as you are able to control your household temps that is the biggie... Plants do really well with led plant light options like Jungle dawns. Start reading through this husbandry program and ask questions here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom