Considering a breeding project

bradburyesqu

I know basic breeding advice gets asked all the time. But that’s not what this is about. I’m thinking of starting a couple breeding projects. The first is going to Australian water dragons. They are in pretty high demand and frankly we need more breeders in the US but I don’t see a viable path to a full time bussiness with them alone

I’ve been thinking of trying to turn my love for reptiles into a bussiness. First I’m thinking as a side hustle, but I’d like the possibility of making it full time in 5-8 years.

I do have some experience breeding sliders in the late 90’s/early 00’s. Over the years I’ve kept sliders, day gekos, Australian Water Dragond and dart frogs. So I’m not new but a lot had been learned since those days.

Anyway I’ve been considering a few species that I’d like to breed. I really like Jackson’s chameleon’s but there really isn’t any money to be had there. I’ve considered trying my hand at Parson’s but I don’t think I’m there yet and Millers don’t seem to sell for much.

I‘be thought about beardies. I normally fined them pretty boring but some of the morphs would be okay. I think getting into Panther chameleons. I think they would be rewarding. I have a detached gauge with AC and I could add a heater as well. Possible a large room humidifier as well. I’ve been seeing people saying the market is overly saturated. I just wanted to see what people here suggested before starting to set up something

Thank you everyone.

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like you’re having a hard time deciding what to breed! Hope you figure it out! I just wouldn’t jump into too many projects at once…take it a bit slow!

Yes. I have a male AWD and a couple females hopefully next week. But they won’t be mature for a couple years still. I’m thinking of starting with that and a more regular selling species. But that would also start with one male and 2 females and I would grow the business over time. I have no thoughts about making it full time in the next 5 years. In fact it will likely be all reinvestment for a while.

But your advice is well received. At one point I was consider jumping in with more species. But I’m sure that would be a big mistake.

Yes. I have a male AWD and a couple females hopefully next week. But they won’t be mature for a couple years still. I’m thinking of starting with that and a more regular selling species. But that would also start with one male and 2 females and I would grow the business over time. I have no thoughts about making it full time in the next 5 years. In fact it will likely be all reinvestment for a while.

But your advice is well received. At one point I was consider jumping in with more species. But I’m sure that would be a big mistake.
Welcome!! I would encourage you to listen to the Reptile Enrepreneur podcast and YouTube channel. They have really good advice on what to breed and why and how to advertise to the reptile community so you are known there before you have juveniles to Sell.

I know basic breeding advice gets asked all the time. But that’s not what this is about. I’m thinking of starting a couple breeding projects. The first is going to Australian water dragons. They are in pretty high demand and frankly we need more breeders in the US but I don’t see a viable path to a full time bussiness with them alone

I’ve been thinking of trying to turn my love for reptiles into a bussiness. First I’m thinking as a side hustle, but I’d like the possibility of making it full time in 5-8 years.

I do have some experience breeding sliders in the late 90’s/early 00’s. Over the years I’ve kept sliders, day gekos, Australian Water Dragond and dart frogs. So I’m not new but a lot had been learned since those days.

Anyway I’ve been considering a few species that I’d like to breed. I really like Jackson’s chameleon’s but there really isn’t any money to be had there. I’ve considered trying my hand at Parson’s but I don’t think I’m there yet and Millers don’t seem to sell for much.

I‘be thought about beardies. I normally fined them pretty boring but some of the morphs would be okay. I think getting into Panther chameleons. I think they would be rewarding. I have a detached gauge with AC and I could add a heater as well. Possible a large room humidifier as well. I’ve been seeing people saying the market is overly saturated. I just wanted to see what people here suggested before starting to set up something

Thank you everyone.
I would personally love to see someone go into meller's just so we had a good trustworthy breeder out there. I know they sell for less than others but if your doing it for the love of the animals isn't that what counts. Meller's is what I want my next cham to be but I personally have not found a breeder that I would buy from right now. I want a breeder that hand raises and hand feeds all his babies and for that I would be willing to pay a little more. Because if they are hand fed and handled as babies then they are going to be that much better of a cham when you get them.

Hahaha. Didn’t take it that way at all. I think Miller’s would be a lot of fun. But AWDs are already a passion project that takes up a lot of space with out huge returns. (They have a couple Clutches of about 14 a year and sell for about $450).

I’m looking for something to supplement that. So while I do love many reptiles, I need my 2nd species to be something that sells and produces well.

I might consider a Meller’s project down the road. I’m just not sure If I can make a viable business that lets me live in CA with Meller’s and AWD.

My concern with moving into a large scale breeding operation is also a similar concern wirh Miller’s and AWD. That is there are no large scale breeders that I’m aware of. I’d be a little concerned with flooding the market and tanking the value of the animals. It’s a lot to think about. But I would love to do Meller’s. And they do have huge clutches. But I’m not sure I’d that is an advantage or disadvantage.

Hahaha. Didn’t take it that way at all. I think Miller’s would be a lot of fun. But AWDs are already a passion project that takes up a lot of space with out huge returns. (They have a couple Clutches of about 14 a year and sell for about $450).

I’m looking for something to supplement that. So while I do love many reptiles, I need my 2nd species to be something that sells and produces well.

I might consider a Meller’s project down the road. I’m just not sure If I can make a viable business that lets me live in CA with Meller’s and AWD.

My concern with moving into a large scale breeding operation is also a similar concern wirh Miller’s and AWD. That is there are no large scale breeders that I’m aware of. I’d be a little concerned with flooding the market and tanking the value of the animals. It’s a lot to think about. But I would love to do Meller’s. And they do have huge clutches. But I’m not sure I’d that is an advantage or disadvantage.
I totally understand it's just so hard to find good reputable breeders. It will be quite a while before I purchase one I'm just hoping there will be a good breeder when I'm ready. If you do decide to go into them be sure to post here because this is one of the first places I will check when I start looking.

You have me thinking about it I have to say. Maybe I start with the fun stuff like AWD and Miller’s. And then get into something like Hognoses to fill in the gap.

You have me thinking about it I have to say. Maybe I start with the fun stuff like AWD and Miller’s. And then get into something like Hognoses to fill in the gap.
I love hog nose they are so frickin cute! I have never owned one but I have definitely thought about it! I've only had boa's, a red tail it was actually my oldest daughter's and a Rainbow.

My mother is afraid of snakes. So is my wife. Hognoses would be all on me and have to live in the garage lol
My husband is too he just made me put a lock on my Viv so it couldn't get out lol this was my Rainbow Boa set up it was a bioactive but if you zoom in on the front on each end you will see the locks lol

Attachments

• 20221218_123421.jpg
    20221218_123421.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom