Critic my Pygmy tank.

c81kennedy

I'm working on one of tanks for my new pyg's. I think i'm on the right track but Id love some advice. The plants i'm using will fill in the tank in a few months.
pygtank1001.jpg

pygtank1002.jpg

pygtank1003.jpg

pygtank1004.jpg

My wife and I just started building ours today too! Yours is a bit further along than ours but looks good!

Iv got about 2 inches of hydro balls in the bottom. The plant grow root down to the bottom and soak up water. If the water starts to get high you can stick a tube in the bottom and suck out the water. Iv got about 8 dartfrog tanks and it works great for them.

the drainage is perfect. the exact same as how i have both of mine. it looks gr8. needs to grow in a little but does look pre darn good. goodluck with the piggs!

wow! that's really nice, it looks great! One question, are there plants growing out of that moss? where did you get the moss from?

I got the moss out of some ten gallons I had for froglets. Yes there are some plants growing out of it. I use a mixture of redart clay and stick it to the back of the tank then i add the moss and plants overtime it takes over the top layer of clay.

The tank looks good. I would suggest adding a little more foliage until the plants grow in more. Also make sure the females can get to the soil to lay eggs.

That's a beautiful little male you have!

So One of the girls was at the bottom of the tank digging a hole. The male was starting at her a good 10 mins then pounced on her garbing at her the second female was at the top and started bobbing back and forth. Then the male stated to run the first female followed him and started grabbing him. Is this something to worry about should i separate them? Why would he interrupt her from laying eggs?

Thats a pic of the male and female fighting . I separated them for now but the male is looking dark and depressed Im worried about him. I just got a 18x18x24 exo Do you think they will fight In a bigger tank?

My pygs fought when I first introduced them. I separated them again and put their cages right next to each other so they could see each other without fighting, and still be able to be out of sight if they wanted. I had them that way for a week and they were relaxed when in sight of each other so I put them back together. After a few minutes they started heading towards each other so I fed them and they got distracted. They've been fine since then!

I have a trio in 18x18x18" and a pair in 12x12x18". I have a 40 gal I'd love to make into a pyg tank one day. Keeping them well planted is key so they have lots of places to hide when they feel stressed.

Back
Top Bottom