Countries at your line of latitude

jacksonchamnew

Avid Member
This is interesting. I am in Mobile Alabama and have a Yemen chameleon. Are these the ones in Morocco? My outdoor climate may be similar at the same latitude. Does not account for elevation.

Attachments

• world.jpg
    world.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 73
No, that would most likely be the Common or Mediterranean chameleon (Chamaeleo chamaeleon).
1602079105573.png

The Yemen chameleon is found on the Arabian Peninsula.
1602079148350.png

Regardless, latitude isn't the best way to compare habitats, which can differ due to variables such as rainfall, proximity to ocean currents, mountains (and elevation), and many other factors.

About the only thing at the same latitude is the intensity of solar radiation, but the amount of that can vary depending on the rest of the climate, cloud cover, vegetation, weather, etc.

1. They are invasive, not introduced
2. They live, don't thrive
According to Wikepedia..."
An invasive species is a non-native species that spreads from the point of introduction and becomes abundant. The invasive species label attaches only to populations of species whose impact upon introduction has altered their new environment"... So they have to be introduced before they can be considered invasive....and to be invasive they have to be altering their environment.

According to Wikepedia..."
An invasive species is a non-native species that spreads from the point of introduction and becomes abundant. The invasive species label attaches only to populations of species whose impact upon introduction has altered their new environment"... So they have to be introduced before they can be considered invasive....and to be invasive they have to be altering their environment.
Thanks, I didn't know that... So how would you call burmese pythons in florida? I hear them referred to as invasive usually?

I don't know enough about what the pythons are doing to the environment and other wildlife there...but I suspect/expect they are invasive.

I don't know enough about what the pythons are doing to the environment and other wildlife there...but I suspect/expect they are invasive.
Yet they were never introduced purposefully to me knowledge, I thought you said for a species to be invasive they have to first be introduced? I understand a species has to have a bad ecological impact for them to be considered invasive, what I'm questioning is that they would first have to be introduced.

Here's the other half of the story...

"An introduced species, alien species, exotic species, foreign species, non-indigenous species, or non-native species is a species living outside its native distributional range, but which has arrived there by human activity, either deliberate or accidental" ...according to Wikipedia

Thanks, I didn't know that... So how would you call burmese pythons in florida? I hear them referred to as invasive usually?
IMO (and the opinions of MANY...) YES, Burmese pythons are definitely an invasive species in Florida. Whether "introduced" intentionally (e.g. former pet owners who released them into the wild rather than re-homing or euthanizing) or accidentally (e.g. escaping captivity due to and following a hurricane, fire, etc.) they have wiped out (depending on the source) 92% to 98% of certain native species in the Everglades & vicinities.

How have invasive pythons impacted Florida ecosystems?

Burmese pythons in Florida — Wikipedia

Back
Top Bottom