Come sail away!

Cainschams

I just recieved my 2 pairs of Ch. Cristatus earlier today. Ive been eyeing these guys for sometime and had a chance to get a few, so.

I decided to use screen only on the top and front doors of the enclosures to keep humidity in as best as possible. I bought a nice ultrasonic humidifier and plumbed scheduled 21 pvc to each of the cages. It comes apart easily in 3 pieces and all pieces will fit in the bath tub for easy regular maintenace/disinfecting. At the moment I am not using basking lights on these guys but temps are just a tad low so I may hook one up to each double cage to bump the temps up a few more degrees, although it has been quite cold the past few days while Ive been testing so Im kinda waiting to see how temps are when it warms back up a little. I made 2, 2 cage enclosures with a corregated pvc "sliding plate" so when its time (hopefully) I wont have to take the female out of her cage to mate. Here are a few pics of the set up.

Anyone who works with these guys please give me your input;) I am completely down for constructive critisizm.

Picture897.jpg

Picture865.jpg

Picture868.jpg

I cant wait till they settle in. These guys have some really nice colors that come out!!!!!

Male 1
Picture862.jpg

Picture864.jpg

Male 2. He is the bigger out of the 2 males.
Picture889.jpg

No pics of females. These girls are NOT HAPPY right now. The males seem to have the more relaxed attitude but still very skiddish and shy.

I was just eyeing some sailfins on reptile depot's kingsnake ad..different species though (I think)

more pics please!! please!!

Oh wow, that blue is great. Your scheffleras also look very nice --they're so tall! Ours seem to like getting bushier, but they are always such useful plants.

Thanks Nikki!

These are sailfins (come sail away ;)) However not from the same place. Im digging your reptile portfolio Royden!!!!! Where are you!!!! there are tavs hatching in maryland!!!!!:)

Then get me a plane ticket to Maryland from Seattle ;)

Sailfins are my new coveted cham!

If I had the extra cash I would spend it on a ticket FOR ME:p!!! to cali baby!!!! Then I would start looking for a job and place to live, arrrrr I cant stand cold. You have it a little worse I suspect.

These guys are definatly cool!!! Im sure you could capture the beauty of them much better than I!! My pics arent the most horrid but yeah, your the pro:)

Noice!! Glad they came in looking good for you. I've not kept this species before, but I've heard they stay lower in the cage. Perhaps there should be more vineage and cover down there?

caine you are a busy boy thats all i can say the new cages look great :Dand the chams are awesome !!!!glad to see where your taking this very cool lets try and keep those umbrella's alive:eek:hahaha

Nice grab, Jared.:)
I really want to get some new species, and these guys are on the top of my list.
The chameleon room is almost at max capasity with 12 adults and plenty of babies.
Very cool cages! They look really nice.
Best of luck.

I think the plants in that cage are Golden Cappella(spelling).
I use them in most of my cages, too.
They are much nicer then the standard scheffelera.
They do a lot better indoors, don't drop as many leafs, the leaves aren't all wrinkeled, less yellow with deeper greens, and just look better in general.
I've had better luck with them because they are an indoor plant.
They grow like mad under double flourecent fixtures with a Reptisun and Grow Lamp.

Thanks guys.

Kent, they look pretty good, all alert and drinking it up!! I did read they like to stay lower in the cages. I had the frames already built for tavs:eek: (which I hear are comming in soon) or I would have made them wider and not quite as tall, which I plan on doing very soon. I knew they would be big enough but I think a little different demensions would fit them better. As long as they keep doing well in those cages Im not going to move them right away. They did stay more to the upper middle part all day and are sleeping there now, however I do need to add a little more.

Do you think that they stay lower in the cages because of humidity issues? I know they stay lower to the ground in nature but one of the articles said that they have been known to burrow into substrate, again maybe seeking humidity? Ive got these guys hooked up on humidity and for reading they where quite the slow moving chams, they where pretty active.

Thanks for the input, Ill take as much as I can get because there isnt a whole lot on the net.

Phil, I am busy!!! If you want any of your eggs to start hatching just purchase a few more chams then 2 days later they will start to hatch!!! Just to think I was getting used to not having 30+ chams:rolleyes: Im not too shabby with keeping chams alive but yeah you saw all of my pots with dried up dead stumps:eek:

Nice grab, Jared.:)
I really want to get some new species, and these guys are on the top of my list.
The chameleon room is almost at max capasity with 12 adults and plenty of babies.
Very cool cages! They look really nice.
Best of luck.

I think the plants in that cage are Golden Cappella(spelling).
I use them in most of my cages, too.
They are much nicer then the standard scheffelera.
They do a lot better indoors, don't drop as many leafs, the leaves aren't all wrinkeled, less yellow with deeper greens, and just look better in general.
I've had better luck with them because they are an indoor plant.
They grow like mad under double flourecent fixtures with a Reptisun and Grow Lamp.

Hey Justin!! I hope everything is going well for you in Florida (lucky.........) LOL. The cages look better in the pics:eek: but hey, they do what they are supposed to;) Sounds like you got a room full!!! I still have a good bit work to do but the panthers are sectioned off in the other room that you can see in the first pic (white carpet). It will be easier to maintain the two species different needs. I was quite busy all day and actually have more done that what you see in the first pic, got those electrical chords hung up so I dont burn my place down ;) etc. Your right about the name. I do like these scheffs better, I just hope they dont trample them like Heathen does. Ive got them hooked up with a light set up like you. Cant beat those double 4 ft fixtures at walmart for 10 bucks!!!!

These guys where at the top of my list for Cameroon species, definatly kick :eek:. You should get some tavetanas!!!! Im going to get a nice group of them going soon to add to the babies. We could get a big CB ring going on LOL. These guys are cool little characters:cool:

These guys seem to be settling in nice. All of them are eating silkies and crix. I also often sneak up on them while they are soaking up the UVB. I snagged a few more pics today:rolleyes:

Small male
Picture926.jpg

Picture902.jpg

Picture903.jpg

Picture924.jpg

Large male
Picture919.jpg

Small female
Picture921.jpg

Large female
Picture909.jpg

Picture910.jpg

cainschams, very nice Cristatus you have!
I kept this species in the past, I prefer orizontal cage, all screen for a good ventilation. If I can suggest you, they prefer cage with more and more plants than yours, they are the most shiny chameleons I had.

Back
Top Bottom