Coccidia Treatment + Respiratory Infection

Yep... You may need to take them all out and hook them to the outside of the cage. This way she feels like she has cover but can not eat them.
@Beman's suggestion is great.

Once I knew where Yoda pooped every day I put pothos in the coccidia quarantine cage - I put them in mason jars and drilled a hole in the lids so that the pothos roots could be in water and the cham couldn't get to the water. The pothos could easily drape over branches and give cover. Yoda didn't poop on the plants but I transferred them to my outdoor garden once quarantine was over. I didn't want to take chances. I think I got that advice from @JacksJill.
I’ll try both of those things! Thanks so much for the suggestions.

I took out all the plastic plants except for the silk one on the back wall and zip tied them to the outside of the enclosure. I also took the spider plant and pothos and attached them in the front of her enclosure (both times she pooped, it was near the back in the exact same spot). I didn’t have mason jars so I put tape over the top of the plants where the soil is exposed, but when I get home from work (which I’m rushing off to now) I’ll come up with a better solution. I just wanted her to have leaves to drink off of while I’m away.

02060665-0002-4EEA-BE13-31EAB9599F4B.jpeg

Remove the tape - they can get caught on it and really hurt themselves. There are horror stories in the archives if you want to know more. Use big rocks to cover the soil instead. If she's only pooping in one spot that's the area to focus on and keep clear. I love how they're little creatures of habit.

Remove the tape - they can get caught on it and really hurt themselves. There are horror stories in the archives if you want to know more. Use big rocks to cover the soil instead. If she's only pooping in one spot that's the area to focus on and keep clear. I love how they're little creatures of habit.
Alright, I’ll ask my mother to remove the tape when she gets home.

Injection #2 finished! Unfortunately we found her casque was too small to hold onto and she squirmed right out from under our hands, so I ended up holding her like the vet showed me. I gave her food before and after (and she took the food from a hand RIGHT after the injection) so hopefully it wasn’t as stressful as the first time.

Injection #2 finished! Unfortunately we found her casque was too small to hold onto and she squirmed right out from under our hands, so I ended up holding her like the vet showed me. I gave her food before and after (and she took the food from a hand RIGHT after the injection) so hopefully it wasn’t as stressful as the first time.
Great job!

Alright, good update and bad update. Good update first:

We went in and talked to the Petco where we bought her, and the manager forwarded us to corporate. We weren't expecting anything, but today in the mail we just got a check reimbursing us for her whole vet bill! Also, the woman who is in charge of animal care said she'd take the other chameleon Rosie was cohabiting with to the vet to get a checkup for the same issues.

Bad news: even though she's on antibiotic treatment, her respiratory infection seems to be progressing. She's sat with her nose up and mouth open a couple times even when I was in the room, which I understand is a pretty bad sign. I want to double-check my husbandry - nighttime is about 65 F, humidity about 80+ (variable, I have a fogger going that goes through most of the night but the edges are much lower humidity than the middle, which is probably closer to 100%) - daytime I have the headlamp at 84, since she was climbing on the screen trying to get to the heatlamp when it was at 81, bottom temperature at about 68, humidity between 35-45 (it's lower with the removal of the live plants - I've been misting once in the morning and evening, and then dripper midday).

Should I call my vet again?

Alright, good update and bad update. Good update first:

We went in and talked to the Petco where we bought her, and the manager forwarded us to corporate. We weren't expecting anything, but today in the mail we just got a check reimbursing us for her whole vet bill! Also, the woman who is in charge of animal care said she'd take the other chameleon Rosie was cohabiting with to the vet to get a checkup for the same issues.

Bad news: even though she's on antibiotic treatment, her respiratory infection seems to be progressing. She's sat with her nose up and mouth open a couple times even when I was in the room, which I understand is a pretty bad sign. I want to double-check my husbandry - nighttime is about 65 F, humidity about 80+ (variable, I have a fogger going that goes through most of the night but the edges are much lower humidity than the middle, which is probably closer to 100%) - daytime I have the headlamp at 84, since she was climbing on the screen trying to get to the heatlamp when it was at 81, bottom temperature at about 68, humidity between 35-45 (it's lower with the removal of the live plants - I've been misting once in the morning and evening, and then dripper midday).

Should I call my vet again?
Well that is fantastic that they reimbursed you. Kinda shocked and amazed lol.

Ok so how are you checking temps? How long has she been on the meds for the RI?

Husbandry above is correct although temps are higher then recommended for a female.

And yes, a call to the vet would be appropriate. With an RI waiting is dangerous if you suspect the gaping is due to that and not temps.

Well that is fantastic that they reimbursed you. Kinda shocked and amazed lol.

Ok so how are you checking temps? How long has she been on the meds for the RI?

Husbandry above is correct although temps are higher then recommended for a female.

And yes, a call to the vet would be appropriate. With an RI waiting is dangerous if you suspect the gaping is due to that and not temps.
I'll lower the temps again and see how she reacts. She's had 5 doses of the meds out of 10, or about 2 weeks. I'll definitely call.

also I have a temperature gun, plus the basking spot is attached to a thermostat with the probe at her back level at the highest basking branch, and one more thermometer lower down in the cage.

Humidity of 80% is high for daytime. You may need to work on airflow.
If you aren't seeing improvement or are seeing a worsening you need to let the vet know and you may need a different antibiotic.

Humidity of 80% is high for daytime. You may need to work on airflow.
If you aren't seeing improvement or are seeing a worsening you need to let the vet know and you may need a different antibiotic.
humidity 80% is nighttime, day time stays between 35%-55%, though it fluctuates depending on the outdoor weather.

Back
Top Bottom