Coccidia Treatment + Respiratory Infection

annefirth12

Established Member
Hello! Yesterday I went to the vet and found out my petco rescue chameleon, who I’ve named Rosie, has a respiratory infection and a coccidia problem. Fortunately I have already been kindly linked to some resources regarding how to handle the coccidia problem, but I have two questions going into this:

1. I ordered 12% peroxide off Amazon but it won’t arrive until next week. Sally beauty only has creme consistency peroxide. Will that work until I get the liquid stuff? Are there any ingredients I should avoid?
2. The vet tech showed me how to do injections since I have to inject the antibiotic, but I wondered if anybody had any tips or ways to make the experience easier on both of us. Injections go into her lower leg with the tiniest needle I’ve ever seen.

Chameleons should not be injected in the back legs but in the upper half of the arm...alternating each time you do another injection. The medication will go straight out to the kidneys and not help the chameleon if you do it in the lower leg or the lower half of the body.

This explains it...

You want liquid 40 volume peroxide. Sallys should have it. It can be their generic brand and you might as well get the gallon size. You can order this via amazon as well.

You want gloves and eye protection along with a spray bottle that you will use just for the peroxide. ( then this would be thrown away when you no longer need it)

I can not stress enough the need for having the gloves and eye protection. This stuff will eat at your skin and is extremely strong.

Chameleons should not be injected in the back legs but in the upper half of the arm...alternating each time you do another injection. The medication will go straight out to the kidneys and not help the chameleon if you do it in the lower leg or the lower half of the body.

This explains it...

Alright. The vets told me lower half of the front two legs, alternating, but I’ll try upper half. Thank you for the resource!

For the injections, make sure to get everything ready before you pull your chameleon out of its cage. You want to minimize the overall stress. While the medication in the syringe is unthawing, get a beach towel (or any towel) and crumple it up (method courtesy of @kinyonga). This crumpled-up towel is where you will place your chameleon when everything is ready and will provide your cham a surface to grab onto. If they aren't grabbing onto anything, the more likely they will try to scratch at the syringe with their back feet or run away. Additionally, the crumpled-up towel should be the highest spot in the general vicinity so your cham is not tempted to run away and climb some other object like window curtains or a lamp.

For me, I found it helpful to place the towel on my bed. And when I went to do the injection, I kneeled alongside the bed so I'm not towering over my cham. In general, predators (e.g. birds) approach from above, so to mitigate a fear response, I came in from the side. Additionally the bed was a helpful location (for me) because there is not anything close to my bed that my cham might be tempted to climb.

Another tip is to aim in between the scales. The syringe won't naturally find its way through. It may sound obvious, but I didn't know this until the second injection.

Also, make sure to massage the area for a good 10 seconds. If you don't massage the area, the medication has a high chance of squirting back out through the syringe hole. They aren't like humans where the skin is super elastic.

I have to go, but feel free to ask as many questions as you need. I'll hop back on later to answer your questions. Oh yeah, and make sure to wash your hands before, during, and after lol. You can't wash your hands enough.

And in response to your most recent reply. I found it easier to go in the top half of the arm. There is a little more meat there. Essentially, you pinch the arm to hold it in place. This also raises up the skin/scales in the area. This is when you aim between the scales. Also, you don't need to pull back on the syringe to check for blood vessels. I consulted the resident veterinarian of the forums and she said that it was unnecessary for such small animals like chameleons.

I've never been too to do it in the lower half of the front legs...always between the shoulder be elbow. The main point is not to do it in the back legs.
Are you just holding them in your hand like in the video? How do you get them to hold still for the injection?

Here's a picture of the towel I used. Nothing special. You just want it to create a little "island/mountain" for your cham to hold onto.
20210428_151453.jpg

Kinyonga places the towel on her lap. Do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable because if you are nervous, the whole process is going to get more difficult.

Here's a picture of the towel I used. Nothing special. You just want it to create a little "island/mountain" for your cham to hold onto.
View attachment 310690

Kinyonga places the towel on her lap. Do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable because if you are nervous, the whole process is going to get more difficult.
I’m a little worried that if I do that she will either whip around and bite me or squirm and end up injuring herself.

Thank you so much for all the help, though! I really appreciate it. I’m definitely a little stressed about having to give her injections since she’s so little.

You want liquid 40 volume peroxide. Sallys should have it. It can be their generic brand and you might as well get the gallon size. You can order this via amazon as well.

You want gloves and eye protection along with a spray bottle that you will use just for the peroxide. ( then this would be thrown away when you no longer need it)

I can not stress enough the need for having the gloves and eye protection. This stuff will eat at your skin and is extremely strong.
Sally’s does not have any liquid peroxide. :( would this work?
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 90
If you are able to have someone help you, that would make it all much easier. I only had to give oral medication and did as Mendez does and put my cham on my bed. I gently but firmly held her casque with thumb & forefinger and used the rest of my hand to hold her body against the bed. This will prevent her from whipping her head around and going in for a bite. If you can have someone help to hold her, it would then be much easier and quicker to give her the injection.

Back
Top Bottom