Coccidia Treatment + Respiratory Infection

Ok so my action plan is this: I’m taking her out of the enclosure and setting her on a potted tree on my deck outside, since it is currently sunny and warm. I’m going to sit on the other side of the deck and disinfect everything - spray with hydrogen peroxide, let sit 30 min (reapply after it stops bubbling), wash off with water. All the live plants and dowels are getting tossed except the schefflera, which is going to be sprayed, repotted, and returned to being a houseplant far away from her cage. I have fluker’s bend-a-vine and plastic plants to replace the plants and dowels with. I have goggles, gloves, a mask, and a lab coat (because why not go the extra mile if you have it lol). Anything missing?

Ok so my action plan is this: I’m taking her out of the enclosure and setting her on a potted tree on my deck outside, since it is currently sunny and warm. I’m going to sit on the other side of the deck and disinfect everything - spray with hydrogen peroxide, let sit 30 min (reapply after it stops bubbling), wash off with water. All the live plants and dowels are getting tossed except the schefflera, which is going to be sprayed, repotted, and returned to being a houseplant far away from her cage. I have fluker’s bend-a-vine and plastic plants to replace the plants and dowels with. I have goggles, gloves, a mask, and a lab coat (because why not go the extra mile if you have it lol). Anything missing?
So I would recommend putting her in a box inside while you do this. She should sleep. This stuff is really intense and if there is even a bit of wind blowing the fumes it could really hurt her. If you have any wind do not let this spray back on you. Like seriously harsh sh*t.

You want to consistently spray the cage with peroxide so it stays wet for a good 15 minutes or so. Wash off with soap and water. Do not spray the peroxide on any of the plants it will kill them off. You can take the plants and wash them off with water but I would not use them in the cage.

So I would recommend putting her in a box inside while you do this. She should sleep. This stuff is really intense and if there is even a bit of wind blowing the fumes it could really hurt her. If you have any wind do not let this spray back on you. Like seriously harsh sh*t.

You want to consistently spray the cage with peroxide so it stays wet for a good 15 minutes or so. Wash off with soap and water. Do not spray the peroxide on any of the plants it will kill them off. You can take the plants and wash them off with water but I would not use them in the cage.
I don’t have a good box for her at the moment (I tossed the vet box *facepalm*) would like 20 or so feet upwind of where I am be ok?

All done! Here's the new enclosure:

I did end up putting her in a box that I repurposed from storing old Christmas cards (and now there are Christmas cards all over my floor) since I had her out while I was setting up stuff and I realized that I need both eyes on her constantly while she was outside lol

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 78
One more question - she was asleep when I took her out of the box, and she was sitting with her eyes closed (kind of a slow, slow blink) after i put her in the cage. I’m guessing she was just sleepy and cold and waking up?

All done! Here's the new enclosure:

I did end up putting her in a box that I repurposed from storing old Christmas cards (and now there are Christmas cards all over my floor) since I had her out while I was setting up stuff and I realized that I need both eyes on her constantly while she was outside lol
Remember you need to spot clean all fecal daily.

Hello! Yesterday I went to the vet and found out my petco rescue chameleon, who I’ve named Rosie, has a respiratory infection and a coccidia problem. Fortunately I have already been kindly linked to some resources regarding how to handle the coccidia problem, but I have two questions going into this:

1. I ordered 12% peroxide off Amazon but it won’t arrive until next week. Sally beauty only has creme consistency peroxide. Will that work until I get the liquid stuff? Are there any ingredients I should avoid?
2. The vet tech showed me how to do injections since I have to inject the antibiotic, but I wondered if anybody had any tips or ways to make the experience easier on both of us. Injections go into her lower leg with the tiniest needle I’ve ever seen.
Can i ask how long you've had her?

Remember you need to spot clean all fecal daily.
When I spot clean, what should I disinfect with? Since there are no plants on the floor, could I just take the bottom out, use the peroxide, let it sit, and then put it back after I wash it off?

When I spot clean, what should I disinfect with? Since there are no plants on the floor, could I just take the bottom out, use the peroxide, let it sit, and then put it back after I wash it off?

I put 2 layers of paper towels down on the bottom and swapped that out every morning after my cham's daily (at the time) poop. Watch out for where your cham likes to go and adjust the cage configuration to allow for easier cleanup.

I also put a few layers of paper towel on the bottom panel. I would pull this and then take hot water and dawn mixture to wipe the panel and then lay more paper towels down.

If fecal landed on branches I was doing the same thing but cleaning the branches up top so that anything that fell would go on the paper towel then clean the paper towel out. Then replace with clean paper towel.

I also put a few layers of paper towel on the bottom panel. I would pull this and then take hot water and dawn mixture to wipe the panel and then lay more paper towels down.

If fecal landed on branches I was doing the same thing but cleaning the branches up top so that anything that fell would go on the paper towel then clean the paper towel out. Then replace with clean paper towel.
Fantastic, thank you!

@Beman's suggestion is great.

Once I knew where Yoda pooped every day I put pothos in the coccidia quarantine cage - I put them in mason jars and drilled a hole in the lids so that the pothos roots could be in water and the cham couldn't get to the water. The pothos could easily drape over branches and give cover. Yoda didn't poop on the plants but I transferred them to my outdoor garden once quarantine was over. I didn't want to take chances. I think I got that advice from @JacksJill.

Back
Top Bottom