Coccidia... Help and cleaning advice. Please..

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Hi everyone I really need help and I do not want this to turn into some sort of drama thread so please just advice for what I need to do and what I can expect...

I am very very overwhelmed and freaking out. I have not slept much since I found out yesterday that Bahari has coccidia.

The Vet has called in a prescription to the compounding pharmacy for Ponazuril. I will get it tomorrow. She has given me a needle to try to inject the medicine into a feeder since Bahari is still taking about 1 feeder a day and she does not want to stress him with forcing the meds. I believe she said it would be a dose then 48 hours later another dose then two weeks later a dose then 48 hours after that a dose... She will retest a fecal in 4 weeks. Does this sound right?

I have pulled his plant and trashed it and used hot water and antibacterial soap to clean the floor of the cage really well. I was told to buy Hibiclens to clean the cage after using the soap and then I rinsed the cage bottom back out with boiling water. Will this work? Should I spot clean with this on the branches? I was scared to do that.
If this is not adequate what should I spot clean with?

I bought hand sanitizer as well. A second wet vac for Beman's cage so I do not cross contaminate. I can't quarantine him in a separate room because I do not have anywhere I can do this. So I have them about 16 inches apart but there is no chance of over spray from one cage to the other. There is a high chance of contamination as I was tossing the dubia that Bahari would not eat from his branches back into the bin and when he would not eat the silkworms from his branches I would feed it directly to Beman rather then put it back in the container. I killed all the dubia by freezing them so I would not chance feeding one that may have it on it. I bought new ones until I get in my order and I bought horn worms to inject the meds in and provide extra hydration. Should I be doing anything additional here?

So Beman will get a fecal done in two weeks. He had one 3 weeks ago for his 1 year exam and was fine.... The Vet said since I did this with the feeders Beman is high risk for getting it as well. Should I do a fecal sooner than 2 weeks for Beman? She said the coccidia takes a few weeks to show up in the fecal....

As I said I am sleep deprived so if I missed an important question please tell me... I have searched the forum for 24 hours now and there is so much info and so much that differs from one thread to another... I do not know what is effective or what is old information or even what is correct information.

Again PLEASE just advice with this situation no drama. I am at my breaking point emotionally and really can not handle much more. Thank you in advance for your help.

So sorry to hear this. My main concern is only 16 inches apart. Is there anything at all you can do to get them more separated? I would consider cleaning both enclosures and all the supplies if possible. Just make sure to thoroughly clean your hands constantly. There are some good threads here about treating this. I’ll see if I can find them. In the mean time I am sending prayers your way...

Sorry to hear this! I am currently treating my Cham with ponazuril. That was the same dosing regiment I did. He has had no side effects from the medication. He was stressed from me administering meds but is fine now. He is doing very well and growing like a weed. But I am waiting the month to take another fecal in. From what I have read ponazuril is very effective with no side effects. I bought some 40 volume peroxide from the beauty store to spray and clean plants and spot clean. From what I read it kills the cysts. I did read a study about the different disinfectants and how they are effective. I believe it was 6% peroxide did very well at killing the cysts. The 40 volume is 12% and pretty cheap. I did take out a majority of the live plants, the ones that he has pooped on. :confused: Hope this helps:)

Hi everyone I really need help and I do not want this to turn into some sort of drama thread so please just advice for what I need to do and what I can expect...

I am very very overwhelmed and freaking out. I have not slept much since I found out yesterday that Bahari has coccidia.

The Vet has called in a prescription to the compounding pharmacy for Ponazuril. I will get it tomorrow. She has given me a needle to try to inject the medicine into a feeder since Bahari is still taking about 1 feeder a day and she does not want to stress him with forcing the meds. I believe she said it would be a dose then 48 hours later another dose then two weeks later a dose then 48 hours after that a dose... She will retest a fecal in 4 weeks. Does this sound right?

I have pulled his plant and trashed it and used hot water and antibacterial soap to clean the floor of the cage really well. I was told to buy Hibiclens to clean the cage after using the soap and then I rinsed the cage bottom back out with boiling water. Will this work? Should I spot clean with this on the branches? I was scared to do that.
If this is not adequate what should I spot clean with?

I bought hand sanitizer as well. A second wet vac for Beman's cage so I do not cross contaminate. I can't quarantine him in a separate room because I do not have anywhere I can do this. So I have them about 16 inches apart but there is no chance of over spray from one cage to the other. There is a high chance of contamination as I was tossing the dubia that Bahari would not eat from his branches back into the bin and when he would not eat the silkworms from his branches I would feed it directly to Beman rather then put it back in the container. I killed all the dubia by freezing them so I would not chance feeding one that may have it on it. I bought new ones until I get in my order and I bought horn worms to inject the meds in and provide extra hydration. Should I be doing anything additional here?

So Beman will get a fecal done in two weeks. He had one 3 weeks ago for his 1 year exam and was fine.... The Vet said since I did this with the feeders Beman is high risk for getting it as well. Should I do a fecal sooner than 2 weeks for Beman? She said the coccidia takes a few weeks to show up in the fecal....

As I said I am sleep deprived so if I missed an important question please tell me... I have searched the forum for 24 hours now and there is so much info and so much that differs from one thread to another... I do not know what is effective or what is old information or even what is correct information.

Again PLEASE just advice with this situation no drama. I am at my breaking point emotionally and really can not handle much more. Thank you in advance for your help.
So I didn’t use that med for Larry but 4 weeks sounds right to retest the fecal. I injected my feeders with the meds since larry would still take food but would get really sluggish after the meds

I had to keep larry and Imelda in the same room, when my vet advised was take care of the healthy one first then handle the sick one and wash up really good after

When I cleaned the cage I used ammonia and hot water. I let it heat up for at least 30 mins. I did this in a storage bin outside. I would use nothing but fake foliage for now that you don’t mind throwing out.

Spot clean even poop you see.

Oh no Becca, I'm so very sorry to hear about this happening with your beautiful boy. Hang in there, you'll get through it. I really hope Beman doesn't catch it though it sounds like a possibility. I don't really know anything about parasites, did he get it from his feeders somehow?

So sorry to hear this. My main concern is only 16 inches apart. Is there anything at all you can do to get them more separated? I would consider cleaning both enclosures and all the supplies if possible. Just make sure to thoroughly clean your hands constantly. There are some good threads here about treating this. I’ll see if I can find them. In the mean time I am sending prayers your way...
The Vet said at this point to not take apart Beman's cage.. She is worried about me exposing him inadvertently. She said as little contact as possible with him until I get a clean fecal on Bahari. Now if Bemans comes back positive after being negative then I have to deal with not reinfecting Bahari... Soooo Yeah this one is tough. I have washed my hands so much since yesterday they are actually dry and sore. I am trying to figure out if there is a way to get more distance between them. Right now it is really hard. I do not have an open wall I can put him on. We are supposed to be moving next month so if I am still fighting this then I will have options.

Sorry to hear this! I am currently treating my Cham with ponazuril. That was the same dosing regiment I did. He has had no side effects from the medication. He was stressed from me administering meds but is fine now. He is doing very well and growing like a weed. But I am waiting the month to take another fecal in. From what I have read ponazuril is very effective with no side effects. I bought some 40 volume peroxide from the beauty store to spray and clean plants and spot clean. From what I read it kills the cysts. I did read a study about the different disinfectants and how they are effective. I believe it was 6% peroxide did very well at killing the cysts. The 40 volume is 12% and pretty cheap. I did take out a majority of the live plants, the ones that he has pooped on. :confused: Hope this helps:)
Thank you hun. I would love to know how his fecal comes back after the 4 weeks... With the 40 volume I heard about this being extremely effective as well from my vet... Did you just put it straight in a spray bottle? Are you able to also spray the branches with this? What is the contact time that it has to be wet? I have a probe from my herpstat thermostat. This is all adding up quickly and I am trying to figure out if I can save it or if I am going to have to replace it. Not sure if 40 volume can be used on something like that. I want to pull apart his cage this weekend to do this but I would love more info on what you were told to do. :)

So I didn’t use that med for Larry but 4 weeks sounds right to retest the fecal. I injected my feeders with the meds since larry would still take food but would get really sluggish after the meds

I had to keep larry and Imelda in the same room, when my vet advised was take care of the healthy one first then handle the sick one and wash up really good after

When I cleaned the cage I used ammonia and hot water. I let it heat up for at least 30 mins. I did this in a storage bin outside. I would use nothing but fake foliage for now that you don’t mind throwing out.

Spot clean even poop you see.
Thank you that makes sense cleaning and feeding Beman first washing up then taking care of Bahari.. This should help limit the exposure to Beman. My only concern with the ammonia is I heard it is really intense and since we live in a townhouse my neighbors may not like me using this. What was your experience with it?

Oh no Becca, I'm so very sorry to hear about this happening with your beautiful boy. Hang in there, you'll get through it. I really hope Beman doesn't catch it though it sounds like a possibility. I don't really know anything about parasites, did he get it from his feeders somehow?
Thank you hun... I am hoping for the best it is all pretty stressful and scary right now.

Thank you that makes sense cleaning and feeding Beman first washing up then taking care of Bahari.. This should help limit the exposure to Beman. My only concern with the ammonia is I heard it is really intense and since we live in a townhouse my neighbors may not like me using this. What was your experience with it?
Since your doing a 50/50 it shouldn’t be so bad in open air spaces,don’t be like me and forget that, if it was an intense smell believe me my family would have made sure I knew. Unless your shoving your face into it you’ll be fine. They have a lavender scented one at target I’ve never used it so idk if the smell is less or not

Thank you hun. I would love to know how his fecal comes back after the 4 weeks... With the 40 volume I heard about this being extremely effective as well from my vet... Did you just put it straight in a spray bottle? Are you able to also spray the branches with this? What is the contact time that it has to be wet? I have a probe from my herpstat thermostat. This is all adding up quickly and I am trying to figure out if I can save it or if I am going to have to replace it. Not sure if 40 volume can be used on something like that. I want to pull apart his cage this weekend to do this but I would love more info on what you were told to do. :)
I will keep you updated on the fecal. With the 40 volume I bought a large spray bottle from Amazon and it seems to be ok in it. I spray everything (except the Cham). Wooden branches, plastic vines and leaves, even the real plants (before I took them out). It bubbles so I know it’s working, I leave it on at least 20 mins sometimes longer. Especially the bottom of the cage. He has one specific spot where he likes to poop. Not sure about the herpstat, you may have to just take your chances and spray it. :confused: As far as the info for clean up from my vet, my guy was so small when when all this started He said to just spot clean. I got all of my cleaning info from this forum.

Back
Top Bottom