Coccidia... Help and cleaning advice. Please..

Oh no Becca, so sorry to hear this. Just more stress added to you on top of taking care of a new chameleon.

It only spreads from reptile to reptile thru their fecal material correct? Or did he get it from feeders coming into contact with fecal material prior to you receiving them?

Thank you that makes sense cleaning and feeding Beman first washing up then taking care of Bahari.. This should help limit the exposure to Beman. My only concern with the ammonia is I heard it is really intense and since we live in a townhouse my neighbors may not like me using this. What was your experience with it?

Be really careful with amonia coming into contact with other cleaners/chemicals and definitely do it outside (ventillation!)

When I came first to the states, and didn’t know much about ammonia and bleach... I cleaned the bathroom with both of them at the same time. The idiot I was back then, I closed the bathroom door as well. I realized I did something wrong when my nose started bleeding. A couple less brain cells later... I was lucky I didn’t blew myself up

When I came first to the states, and didn’t know much about ammonia and bleach... I cleaned the bathroom with both of them at the same time. The idiot I was back then, I closed the bathroom door as well. I realized I did something wrong when my nose started bleeding. A couple less brain cells later... I was lucky I didn’t blew myself up
I was about to tell her not to mix those two wow your lucky

I will keep you updated on the fecal. With the 40 volume I bought a large spray bottle from Amazon and it seems to be ok in it. I spray everything (except the Cham). Wooden branches, plastic vines and leaves, even the real plants (before I took them out). It bubbles so I know it’s working, I leave it on at least 20 mins sometimes longer. Especially the bottom of the cage. He has one specific spot where he likes to poop. Not sure about the herpstat, you may have to just take your chances and spray it. :confused: As far as the info for clean up from my vet, my guy was so small when when all this started He said to just spot clean. I got all of my cleaning info from this forum.

You don't have to leave it that long. So peroxide when it's bubbling it's working, when it stops bubbling it's just water. You really don't even have to rinse it off, I don't on my plants. (Probably still should)

It's perfectly safe to use on live plants also, so no worries there. Lots of people use it for Orchids and such to kill rot, fungus, ect. However, they use 6% IDK about 12, that's like Bleaching hair levels of Peroxide, that might hurt the plants a little, but they probably be fine.

Yes don’t mix it with bleach!!! Those fumes are deadly

Chloramine Gas, is not pretty :). It can actually kill you, fairly quickly.

Oh no Becca, so sorry to hear this. Just more stress added to you on top of taking care of a new chameleon.

It only spreads from reptile to reptile thru their fecal material correct? Or did he get it from feeders coming into contact with fecal material prior to you receiving them?

No way it came from. The feeders she uses. I believe she buys dubia and silks, which don't carry it unless you're literally smearing poop on them. Dubia immune systems are powerful and resist pathogens. I guess it's possible, but God that would be so unlikely.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but do not all chameleons have parasites at all times but they are in manageable levels where the immune system of the chameleon take care of it? And that things like stress from shipping and/or new environment can trigger the immune system to drop causing the parasites to become out of control?

Becca please know we are all here for you and your chams! We love all of you and we will do anything to help you here in this moment. Don't lose hope! You're a fighter and so are your chameleons I know you will all get through this. Thoughts, prayers, and mad love coming your way!!!

Thanks hun... As the Vet explained it to me it comes in on crickets which is why I stopped feeding crickets months ago. Dubia and silks do not carry it and that is what I feed. The worry here is it is extremely contagious... Spreading via the fecal... So then the cham licks or bites where that fecal is and they reinfect themselves which is why you have to be cleaning like crazy while treating. I am very concerned about cross contamination to Beman just because I was putting feeders on Bahari's branches since he was not interested in the cup. When he would not take them after an hour of running around every where I would either throw them back in the dubia bin or feed to Beman directly. I possibly infected Beman doing this because the feeders running on possible branches could pick up the oocysts of the coccidia then Beman would have ingested it.

No way it came from. The feeders she uses. I believe she buys dubia and silks, which don't carry it unless you're literally smearing poop on them. Dubia immune systems are powerful and resist pathogens. I guess it's possible, but God that would be so unlikely.

Not saying her feeders have it, however Dubia (all roaches) are a carrier.

Scracth above, I had them mixed up, I googled it to be sure. So crickets are the carrier of Coccidia, Roaches carry pinworms not Coccidia.

The parasite doesn't use them as a host, like it would a Cham, so their immune system doesn't fight it off, the roaches are an intermediate host. It can live without a host for up to 2 years as well. It's scary stuff, I have never had to deal with Coccidia thank gosh, that is to me the scariest one.

Also Beman, you can look into F10 Vetrinary Santizor. This thread https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=235387, seems to say it works well, and also states Ammonia does not.

I have seen F10 as a cure for RIs in snakes, never tried with a Cham. However they put the snake in a bin with a fogger and fog the diluted F10 and it 3 times in a day will cure the RI I guess. So it is reptile safe, and may be nice to have around. It's expensive as heck though.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this Becca... You got this though. If any person on this forum has it in control it's you! May I ask if Bahari was acting different at all or did you just take the fecal in as a precaution me or came back positive?
His appetite was low only eating 2-4 feeders every other day at first... Now down to 1 feeder. He was having issues with his eye which we figured was just the fact that he was not used to an automated mister so I added misting sessions with a pressurized spray bottle to help him clear what was in it. The Vet asked me to bring in the fecal last week just because she is Beman's Vet and was aware that this was my 2nd cham. She wanted to make sure that Bahari was only stressed and nothing else. I just could not get one because he did not go for 11 days.

Wow that sucks! Im sorry you’re dealing with it. I have new chams coming next month and everyone’s going straight to the vets for fecals. Good luck, everyone will be ok!
Be really careful with amonia coming into contact with other cleaners/chemicals and definitely do it outside (ventillation!)
Get fecals and quarantine them... I am not going to use the amonia I am too scared of it. I am going to go buy peroxide today.

Not saying her feeders have it, however Dubia (all roaches) are a carrier.

Scracth above, I had them mixed up, I googled it to be sure. So crickets are the carrier of Coccidia, Roaches carry pinworms not Coccidia.

The parasite doesn't use them as a host, like it would a Cham, so their immune system doesn't fight it off, the roaches are an intermediate host. It can live without a host for up to 2 years as well. It's scary stuff, I have never had to deal with Coccidia thank gosh, that is to me the scariest one.

Also Beman, you can look into F10 Vetrinary Santizor. This thread https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=235387, seems to say it works well, and also states Ammonia does not.

I have seen F10 as a cure for RIs in snakes, never tried with a Cham. However they put the snake in a bin with a fogger and fog the diluted F10 and it 3 times in a day will cure the RI I guess. So it is reptile safe, and may be nice to have around. It's expensive as heck though.
Yeah I am pretty freaked out over here lol. Everything I have read says it is a nightmare. I am getting the peroxide. It seems like it would be the best route.

Yes, definitely always QT, with a cage in another room if possible and plastic plants.

No matter how reptuable the breeder, anything can happen to anyone. Or even to feeders, it's better to catch it in QT than spread infection or have to strip your cage down. 1 month 2 Fecals then to forever home :).

Obviously this is not a good thing to have to deal with but at least many other people can look to this thread if they ever have a Coccidia problem. So many great people on here with lots of good advice and tips!

This is why it’s so important to get annual fecals done on your animals! If Becca had not known Bahari had Coccidia she could have easily transmitted it to Beman. Now she at least knows Bahari has it and can try to contain it from Beman. I really hope Beman doesn’t get it as well. I’m praying for you all!!

Step one do not panic. This is not a death sentence but it will take some time and work. You caught it before you have a problem. Breath repeat as necessary.
I've been doing some research and will PM you.
Thank you... Honestly I am a total mess... I have been crying since I found out... And really not sleeping. I am so scared of this. I appreciate the help hun. Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom