Chin rubs???

I don't get how or what chin rubs do... Do you rub the spiky part or the parts around the spiky Thingy??? Do chameleons like chin rubs? I don't get how to rub the chins :(

where did this question come from??? sometimes i slide my finger down their lower neck going the same direction as the spikes but i dont think thet enjoy it for the most part LOL

i rub my panthers chin to the side of his spikes and he will happily sit
still on my hand and look out the window :)

Both my chameleons and my beardie love there neck stroaked. I just rub my finger up and down the neck they love it and will put there heads up for you to do it my beardie actually falls asleep when getting his neck stroaked.

Eyes closed means stress... Not enjoyment.

Mine generally puff up if I go anywhere near their heads without food.

Chameleons don't like to be touched....

This is where i beg to differ My yemen now about a year old does not mind me stroking him under his chin and it is also how i get him out to handle him.But yes before you ask he has been handled most days since a baby. Read some of my other posts :D

How do you know he likes to be touched? Are you sure he doesn't climb onto your hand so that you will stop poking at him? Not reacting doesn't mean there is no stress.

very controversial, and i guess we will never know for sure.
my chameleon, a female yemen, seemingly loves getting chin rubbed. if she ever hisses at me, i try to get to her neck as quickly as possible and stroke her neck. she stops hissing, and just sits there, sometimes trying to climb onto me.
other times, when she is on my already and she has stress signs (especially as a juvie) i would stroke her chin and all the stress signs would go away and she will just sit.

How do you know he likes to be touched? Are you sure he doesn't climb onto your hand so that you will stop poking at him? Not reacting doesn't mean there is no stress.

I never poke him always aproach slowly when offering my hand. Hey i respect my animal why scare the shit out of him ??
And he does not just climb on my hand, he wants to come out explore the places he sees from enclosure.
Would you guys, Believe he will come to front of enclosure and sit motionless watching me eat my Dinner. Yes eyes watching me. Probably thinks my toungue is too short thats why i use a knife and fork ;)

Uh, okay. It's not a human. You dont know you aren't scaring him and you dont know if you are actually causing stress.

pssh, i agree with you, however i would like to point out some experiences i have had. As all of you probably know, chameleons can have periods of time when they get very pissy, and other times when they just mind their own business. One time, my chameleon was pissy for a couple days straight, i rubbed it's chin, and it went back to the "minding it's own business" mood after two days of being pissy. just a little piece of evidence that they might in fact like it.

More and more i read on these forums chameleons are unique creatures :D Every owner can tell a different story ;) The main thing is to care and make sure these fellas prosper, take good care of them, love them, and cherish them :D

Of course we wont ever know and we can only speculate. :) I have one who hangs out sometimes, so I know it can really seem like they are little tiny scaled people. I just dont want anyone to forget that they are still lizards and can still stress from seemingly nothing.

This is where i beg to differ My yemen now about a year old does not mind me stroking him under his chin and it is also how i get him out to handle him.But yes before you ask he has been handled most days since a baby. Read some of my other posts :D

There is a difference to tolerating it and 'enjoying it'. And I don't think you can really know if he feels either way..... if he even does....

hmm

I have never tried to stroke my jacksons under the chin... however if I did I would not get a favorable reaction that is why I have a ball python she curls up with me and everything.

I tried chin rubs on my chameleon today and he liked it :D every time I rub it for a minute or two he falls asleep an when I stop doing it for a while he wakes up and falls asleep when I do it again. :)

I've touched my female chameleons chin before just because its soft and feels funny. She doesn't react. Granted, as has been said, this doesn't mean no stress, but generally speaking she hates being handled. I only move her when I need to clean or put her outside in the sun on the few warm days we've had or give her a once over to make sure she's physically okay. I try to do all these things at the same time to minimize holding. She has no qualms about biting (my face and hands) and hissing and gaping and trying to commit suicide when I touch her regardless of how gentle I am, so I would ASSUME if she hated being touched there too much she would just rip my fingernails off. Or maybe it's so horrific to her she can't even formulate a response in her little lizard brain.

That, and she seems to be okay when I sit in the recliner and let her sit on my knee. She will sit there for a while and stay "happier" colors.

I definitely think it's possible that they enjoy the sensation of having their chin rubbed. I mean they're not mammals but they can still have the capacity to enjoy/not enjoy certain physical sensations. It's just much harder for us to understand what their responses really mean, since they're on a whole different emotional plane. I just assume when they turn dark colors and they're being aggresive/fearful it's bad and when they're lighter and being "friendly" it's good. I think that's really the best anyone can do at getting inside their little heads.

Back
Top Bottom