Chandler's Cage 2.0

Jevin

Chameleon Enthusiast
In the midst of building a new cage for Chandler since his original sprang a leak. This new one will be slightly larger, collapsible, lighter, stronger and most importantly, leak proof.
15567506419185624913096776453737.jpg

Not sure what exactly the white tray is that I repurposed but I built a frame underneath the corrugated plastic. This created a basin that drains incredibly quick using a flush mount shower drain with mesh secured underneath the drain cover.
20190728_142212.jpg

Unfortunately I determined that the frame underneath the plastic would be too difficult to hit with screws to secure the cage sides to the bottom. My solution was to make a banked frame on top of the corrugated plastic that is attached to the hidden frame underneath. Sealed with silicone. 20190728_142219.jpg
Also realized with some testing, that the ridges the tray had interfered with the shape of the drainage basin so I cut them out.
20190728_142300.jpg

Here is one side of the cage.
20190728_142306.jpg

And the other side of the cage.

I'll update this post as I build it.

Well, build is on hold till tomorrow, underestimated the amount of wood required. Sides frames are built and drilled for attachment to the base and the top. Should be starting to seal the wood frames sometime tomorrow, once I have everything drilled and fitted. Also will be covering the bottom of the drainage tray with linoleum sheeting to ensure it's waterproof.

Straight 1"x2"s is what I'm using, wood type is up to personal choice, I would recommend cedar. I'm using spruce as it's a better than pine, but cheaper than cedar. For the dimensions of my cage, I found the 8 foot lengths gave me the least wasted material.

Straight 1"x2"s is what I'm using, wood type is up to personal choice, I would recommend cedar. I'm using spruce as it's a better than pine, but cheaper than cedar. For the dimensions of my cage, I found the 8 foot lengths gave me the least wasted material.
Yeah I am allergic to cedar so that would be a no go for me.

The spruce wood be the best for you, it's not as strong as cedar and it's lighter, but stronger and straighter than pine. Is it just cedar you are allergic to?
Cedar is the big one. I can walk into a house with a cedar chest and instantly start sneezing. I am still toying with the idea of building it lol.

It's for a cage I'm building for my cham, my first build which my father helped build isn't waterproof anymore so I need to replace it. Building it solely by myself this time.
No I know that but the flat piece on the right and the roll on the left what are you using them for. I am following your build hun. :)

The roll was vinyl, the black flat piece is metal to fix the floor pans in a vehicle and the lumber is for framing. Should hopefully be able to start sealing the wood tonight or tomorrow.

Tools used:
Electric Drill
Tape measure
Square
Clamps (when needed)
Scrollsaw
Countersink drill bit
Caulking gun
Sandpaper
X-acto knife
Scissors
Staple Gun