Chameleon with multiple possible problems..

Oh yes of course if not diluted correctly it could be bad! But if the natural rainwater dilution was bad then all chameleons (and other animals) would be dead.😅 I’m a little bit of an unorthodox person and I practice more holistic healing in my house so it’s just what I would do, but you don’t have to, I just feel like if there’s nothing more the vet can do then why not try as long as it’s done safely. Here’s some info if you decide to try..

https://www.the-natural-path.com/hydrogen-peroxide-therapy.html
I learned something today...thanks! (This does not mean I would do it for chameleons though without looking into it more because there can be issues with the peroxide if it's not done with knowledge.

I can’t remember where I found the links to posts on this site, but if I find them I’ll post them. They said that the temperatures should be warmer than usual and I should be using warm mist instead of cool mist even though you would normally only use cool. I’ll search for the links right now.
Sorry...I stand corrected. 👍

I learned something today...thanks! (This does not mean I would do it for chameleons though without looking into it more because there can be issues with the peroxide if it's not done with knowledge.
Yes absolutely! I’d do 1/3 the dilution or less for my chameleon. Honestly I add a little in all my humidifier water to help prevent mold growth but it’s only maybe 4-5 TBSP for almost 2gallons water. And I researched the h2o2 specifically for respiratory infections with the covid pandemic so I have yet to research its potential in chameleon RIs.

How should I keep him hydrated tonight because he hasn’t drank since 2 days ago and he won’t drink or eat now?

They can drink thru their lungs if you provide high humidity nights they can go a very long time without needing to drink, mine barely ever drinks, even with the misting and dripper. This video from Petr Necas may give you some reassurance:

He’s been a bit dehydrated and I don’t think he’s fully recovered, so I actually gave him .5 tsp of water with a syringe by gently pulling his mouth open. He lifted his head up and moved his tongue to swallow and I didn’t hear any choking or wheezing, just some hissing while I opened his mouth. Should I keep his humidity at night as high as I can even though he’s a veiled?

He’s been a bit dehydrated and I don’t think he’s fully recovered, so I actually gave him .5 tsp of water with a syringe by gently pulling his mouth open. He lifted his head up and moved his tongue to swallow and I didn’t hear any choking or wheezing, just some hissing while I opened his mouth. Should I keep his humidity at night as high as I can even though he’s a veiled?
Also, what a cool guy :) I liked his video

Does anyone have other links about force watering? Because my guy won’t drink at all and he’s on antibiotics. I just need some more advice so I don’t hurt him by overwatering or not giving him enough because he’s in a box as of today and not in his inclosure

Does anyone have other links about force watering? Because my guy won’t drink at all and he’s on antibiotics. I just need some more advice so I don’t hurt him by overwatering or not giving him enough because he’s in a box as of today and not in his inclosure
I heard 6 ml/1.35 tsp a day is good for an adult male

No no no! This is perfect as well :) I need all the resources I can get and this is great. Makes me feel a lot more comfortable about what I did because I know that aspiration is a huge problem with force feeding/watering
And that’s exactly how I did it, I think I may have seen this video and instinctively followed it. Instead of the cask I just grasped the side of his head softly so I could pull the skin under his mouth down

How should I keep him hydrated tonight because he hasn’t drank since 2 days ago and he won’t drink or eat now?
If you have an eye dropper or needleless syringe you can ease a little water into its mouth but make sure it goes far enough back that it doesn't go into the little hole at the front tip of the mouth and thus into the lungs.

How much water...
"
Water needs are based on metabolic rate (see my first column, March 2002). Once you have a weight on your chameleon, you can look up its metabolic rate from my charts. The charts give "calories per day". A useful approximation is that 1 (one) ml (cc) of water is needed for every calorie. If your chameleon needs, for example, 8 calories daily, it will be drinking about 8 ml daily. Another way to estimate water intake is to use an empirical equation of 10 to 30 ml/kg body weight.

For rehydration by mouth, one can use drinking water in the above dose. Divide the daily dose into many small dosages administered about 2 hours apart. Risks of overdosage are very rare when using this method. If there is any suspicion of electrolyte losses (diarrhea, vomiting, poor food intake, disease), then a product such as Pedialyte is better than plain water. For severe dehydration, intraosseous (within-bone) catheters work well. These can be placed by your veterinarian. Your chameleon will require an overnight hospital stay while fluids are given. Another technique involves giving fluids into the coelomic cavity. All fluids should be warmed prior to dosing."...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/02NovDonoghue.html

Calories...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/02MarDonoghue.html

Last edited:
If you have an eye dropper or needleless syringe you can ease a little water into its mouth but make sure it goes far enough back that it doesn't go into the little hole at the front tip of the mouth and thus into the lungs.
Hole at the front of the mouth?! Do you have an anatomy reference I can look at?

Found it! I didn’t know this. I’m hoping because I saw him swallow he’s okay. I assumed they were in the same place as mammals, this is very interesting.

Attachments

• 83996E0D-946F-4500-ABE1-3E67820C64AB.png
    83996E0D-946F-4500-ABE1-3E67820C64AB.png
    456.2 KB · Views: 76

How much water...
"
Water needs are based on metabolic rate (see my first column, March 2002). Once you have a weight on your chameleon, you can look up its metabolic rate from my charts. The charts give "calories per day". A useful approximation is that 1 (one) ml (cc) of water is needed for every calorie. If your chameleon needs, for example, 8 calories daily, it will be drinking about 8 ml daily. Another way to estimate water intake is to use an empirical equation of 10 to 30 ml/kg body weight.

For rehydration by mouth, one can use drinking water in the above dose. Divide the daily dose into many small dosages administered about 2 hours apart. Risks of overdosage are very rare when using this method. If there is any suspicion of electrolyte losses (diarrhea, vomiting, poor food intake, disease), then a product such as Pedialyte is better than plain water. For severe dehydration, intraosseous (within-bone) catheters work well. These can be placed by your veterinarian. Your chameleon will require an overnight hospital stay while fluids are given. Another technique involves giving fluids into the coelomic cavity. All fluids should be warmed prior to dosing."...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/02NovDonoghue.html

Calories...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/02MarDonoghue.html
So a 100 gram chameleon would need approximately 5.7 ml of water?

Back
Top Bottom