Chameleon with multiple possible problems..

So my grandmother had actually told me he died while I was at work but I’m here now and he’s not dead but he’s definitely dying

Attachments

• 038AB6E4-DD18-4D84-A72B-1CE9DB1167D4.jpeg
    038AB6E4-DD18-4D84-A72B-1CE9DB1167D4.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 102
Is there anything I should be doing? What will a vet do? Will they help him or should I have him put to sleep? :( I’m so upset I thought he was getting better but I was wrong

If he is opening his mouth that could be a sign or a defensive chameleon, gaping
He’s doing it intermittently. Even when I’m not close by and doesn’t hiss. Could I be making him too hot? I’m using a heat gun and it says the space around him is only 71-73. Trying to get him warm since when I came home he was on the bottom of his enclosure being dripped on by water. Should I have a humidifier on him?

That probably means he is to hot I wouldn’t really recommend any repti dog system I would most more first and see if that does anything if not you could have a humidifier in it’s room. Do you know what the humidity level is for a veiled 60-70

He’s like ‘yawning’ almost. Do you think the antibiotic he was given didn’t work or do you think I just caught it to late? There’s no popping or bubbles or anything like that

To tell you the truth it’s hard to know for sure the progression of the infection but I can tell you what I would do (whether it would help I’m not sure). I’d run my humidifier with a h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) dilution which should theoretically help with oxygen and hydration (I do this for myself and my family safely but I’d dilute a little more for a chameleon If I’m directing the fog right toward her) and if she’s eating I’d make sure to generously dust bee pollen for antifungal properties. I’d probably spray the cage and plants with a heavily diluted h2o2 solution. I’d make sure she is at a comfortable temperature (lower than basking temp/higher than lowest recommended ambient temp) and most importantly I’d try not to stress her at all. Someone on here may correct me but this is what I would do. 🥺

That probably means he is to hot I wouldn’t really recommend any repti dog system I would most more first and see if that does anything if not you could have a humidifier in it’s room. Do you know what the humidity level is for a veiled 60-70
He’s not in his enclosure right now, and their humidity requirement are 40-60 during the day. I’ve seen him gape from being hot and this isn’t it. He’s gasping for air I’m 90% sure.

I’m waiting for his vet to call me back 😢 if I can’t get him in today I will try to humidifier
If you can get ahold of “food grade hydrogen peroxide” would be best for humidifiers, but I’ve used the regular one. Also your chameleon will need less drinking water if you make sure to raise your nighttime humidity to 85-100. But at this point I’d be trying the h2o2 dilute humidifier cause it’s known to help kill bacteria, improve RI, and gives water. It’s also in natural rainwater, in higher amounts in unpolluted rainwater.

If you can get ahold of “food grade hydrogen peroxide” would be best for humidifiers, but I’ve used the regular one. Also your chameleon will need less drinking water if you make sure to raise your nighttime humidity to 85-100. But at this point I’d be trying the h2o2 dilute humidifier cause it’s known to help kill bacteria, improve RI, and gives water. It’s also in natural rainwater, in higher amounts in unpolluted rainwater.
I asked my vet when he called about the diluted h202 and he said definitely not because it can destroy lung tissue

I asked my vet when he called about the diluted h202 and he said definitely not because it can destroy lung tissue
Oh yes of course if not diluted correctly it could be bad! But if the natural rainwater dilution was bad then all chameleons (and other animals) would be dead.😅 I’m a little bit of an unorthodox person and I practice more holistic healing in my house so it’s just what I would do, but you don’t have to, I just feel like if there’s nothing more the vet can do then why not try as long as it’s done safely. Here’s some info if you decide to try..

https://www.the-natural-path.com/hydrogen-peroxide-therapy.html

Back
Top Bottom