Chameleon with multiple possible problems..

That probably means he is to hot I wouldn’t really recommend any repti dog system I would most more first and see if that does anything if not you could have a humidifier in it’s room. Do you know what the humidity level is for a veiled 60-70
For a veiled you want a daytime rh% of 30-50, and 100% rh at night during the coolest hours of the night.

He’s not in his enclosure right now, and their humidity requirement are 40-60 during the day. I’ve seen him gape from being hot and this isn’t it. He’s gasping for air I’m 90% sure.
If you can, I'd get him back in to the vet and see what they say about it. I think you'll probably end up putting him down, he sounds like he is struggling.
I would be going to see the vet as an emergency.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I know it isn't easy.

I have some bad news. Sometime last night Zenji passed away from unknown causes. He was at the bottom with his mouth open, pale, and dead. I am so upset and sad because he was eating and doing better and then he just didn’t make it...

Im so sorry for your loss! He is in a better place 🥺 we are here for you!

Ok so you have multiple things against you... You can tell he has MBD from his casque. The video is him trying to gasp for air. His body is shutting down. Eyes closed is extreme stress/illness. Either his body is just that stressed due to the compromised system that the antibiotics will kick in and help while he is being more calm like this or he will pass away.

When they pass they may turn blackish or hold their pale colors. Eyes will sink into the turrets.

You said he's holding his head up sometimes and sort of yawning...that is a sign of respiratory issues and if he's not doing it for that reason it can be a sign of impending death. Sorry.

Last edited:
You said he's holding his head up sometimes and sort of yawning...that is a sign of respiratory issues and if he's not doing it for that reason it can be a sign of impending death. Sorry.
I feel completely terrible for him. There’s no where open to put him to sleep for me hopefully I can find somewhere if he gets worse. He opens his left eye to look at me and sometimes holds himself up too.

If you can, I'd get him back in to the vet and see what they say about it. I think you'll probably end up putting him down, he sounds like he is struggling.
I would be going to see the vet as an emergency.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. I know it isn't easy.
I wish I had the money to go to an emergency vet. I will try to find one if he’s worse tomorrow. I have hope in him but I don’t want him to die suffering.

Im so sorry for your loss! He is in a better place 🥺 we are here for you!
I’m sorry I posted this before I saw him. My grandmother told me he passed away but when I got home he was alive, but struggling severely. He may or may not pass away now, I’m trying to nurse him to health.

Oh yes of course if not diluted correctly it could be bad! But if the natural rainwater dilution was bad then all chameleons (and other animals) would be dead.😅 I’m a little bit of an unorthodox person and I practice more holistic healing in my house so it’s just what I would do, but you don’t have to, I just feel like if there’s nothing more the vet can do then why not try as long as it’s done safely. Here’s some info if you decide to try..

https://www.the-natural-path.com/hydrogen-peroxide-therapy.html
I totally understand! I’m just scared of trying something that I have no idea about when he’s this fragile... :( I’ll think about it

I’m not quite sure what you mean by hospital bin but I think yes. He’s in a cardboard box on towels in a really warm room with humidifier going near him to help get the bacteria out of his lungs. He opens one eye sometimes to look at me.
Yes, that is basically a hospital bin. You could put a small branch or even a small plant in with him for his comfort. I’m not sure about adding both heat and humidity as that is usually a major contributing factor that causes respiratory infections in the first place. Cool and humid or warm and dry would possibly be better.

Yes, that is basically a hospital bin. You could put a small branch or even a small plant in with him for his comfort. I’m not sure about adding both heat and humidity as that is usually a major contributing factor that causes respiratory infections in the first place. Cool and humid or warm and dry would possibly be better.
I can’t remember where I found the links to posts on this site, but if I find them I’ll post them. They said that the temperatures should be warmer than usual and I should be using warm mist instead of cool mist even though you would normally only use cool. I’ll search for the links right now.

I was usually told to put the temperature up a little bit if the chameleon was sick because they can't develop a fever. i have no proof it's true though. Just be careful because the chameleon won't likely move away from an area that is too hot because when it's sick it doesn't feel well enough to move.

Humidity is another matter that I don't know enough about to tell you.

I was usually told to put the temperature up a little bit if the chameleon was sick because they can't develop a fever. i have no proof it's true though. Just be careful because the chameleon won't likely move away from an area that is too hot because when it's sick it doesn't feel well enough to move.

Humidity is another matter that I don't know enough about to tell you.
Yes that’s what I’m worried about is that he’ll get too hot. I have a temperature gun AND a probe that I have right next to his body in the hospital box that I’m monitoring temperatures with very closely. He’s only 75 right now but I’m going to go 5-10 degrees up

Back
Top Bottom