Concerns for my female Panther?

I wouldn't force feed yet. JMO... I would just monitor weight to see where she is and if she looses weight. It may just be a hunger strike (I know odd at 4 months, but my boyfriend has a female who is also unusually small who, like Hyperion, would occasionally not eat much. She didn't eat for almost 2 weeks when she had first gotten to her new home (3 months old then.) On the day we were going to stick a few crickets in her mouth while she hissed, she started to really hog down on the food.)

Ok so on Saturday she was given Panacur and Pyrantil (that was the name I forgot). So it was not for Coccidia.

Still no change today with eating. She is alert and seems fine.

He now wants to put her anti-biotics. He said Baytril. I have to give it orally daily.

Should I wait a couple of days to do this or start it today?

He also said to increase her temps which I did Saturday. Her basking temp is now 94-95 and she was under it this AM.

How well do you know this vet and his/her experience with chameleons?

He is a member of the reptile vets group and speacializes in reptiles including Chameleons. I got the group name from the "Understanding Reptiles Parasites" book. His name was in that group.

He knew alot about husbandtry and such. I let him tell me as much to see if he knew what he was talking about and he did. I trust him but I this is the first time for me working with him.

He thinks my temps got too low one night here in NJ but I had my heat on to not go below 64 and it usually does not get that cold. Its stays at around 70-72like the rest of the house at night.

Looks like it is a URI.

My wife took a look at her again today and she sees little bubbles now today for the first time.

Good thing I am getting the Baytril today.

Will keep you all posted.

My guess is from too much humidity. I shut off the humidifier Saturday also.

Looks like it is a URI.

My wife took a look at her again today and she sees little bubbles now today for the first time.

Good thing I am getting the Baytril today.

Will keep you all posted.

My guess is from too much humidity. I shut off the humidifier Saturday also.

If you are seeing her blow bubbles, you are dealing with a LRI or pneumonia, same thing. You will want to increase her temps and add a WARM MIST humidifier to her 24/7. The warm mist will help to loosen the mucus in her lungs so she can expell it and breathe easier. You want to keep the mucus cleared out of her mouth as best you can. The Baytril may work. If it does not, you will want to have the vet do a culture and sensitivity test to see exactly what medications the infection is susceptible to. Also, the best thing you can do is get her into the sun as much as possible. Offer her juicy feeders such as silks, if she will take them. I hope this helps. Good luck!

If you are seeing her blow bubbles, you are dealing with a LRI or pneumonia, same thing. You will want to increase her temps and add a WARM MIST humidifier to her 24/7. The warm mist will help to loosen the mucus in her lungs so she can expell it and breathe easier. You want to keep the mucus cleared out of her mouth as best you can. The Baytril may work. If it does not, you will want to have the vet do a culture and sensitivity test to see exactly what medications the infection is susceptible to. Also, the best thing you can do is get her into the sun as much as possible. Offer her juicy feeders such as silks, if she will take them. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Not really blowing bubbles just small bubbles inside her mouth she said. I have not seen it yet.

I thought the humidifier would make it worse because I think that is how it happened. Too much humidity.

I am going to clean her with a Q tib when I get home and give her the Baytril. I did increase the temps. It gets up to 95 now at basking is that enough?

Not really blowing bubbles just small bubbles inside her mouth she said. I have not seen it yet.

I thought the humidifier would make it worse because I think that is how it happened. Too much humidity.

I am going to clean her with a Q tib when I get home and give her the Baytril. I did increase the temps. It gets up to 95 now at basking is that enough?

Yes, the temps should be fine. Basically the reason behind the increased temps is that a reptile can not produce a fever (like we can) to help the body naturally fight infection. So by increasing the temps you are helping them raise their body temp to help fight the infection. The sun is better for this than any artificial light.

There are cool mist humidifiers and warm mist humidifiers. I don't know which one you are/were using, but the warm mist is the one you want if she has LRI. Check out these links:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/theres-no-such-thing-uri-14277/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/back-vet-medication-questions-39302/

Ok so got home and cleaned her mouth out with a Q Tip and was very careful to just wrap it around. It was mostly saliva but I got it all and she was happy.

I then gave her the Baytril and also gave her some water after the baytril. Finally I tried to give her a butterworm and she actually was being so good and opened her mouth for me. I dropped the worm in and she chewed it and tried to split it out but then managed to eat it.

So at least she has something.

Finally, I got her in the warm mist humidifier and she is just chilling in the middle of all the mist loving it.

So hopefully she will start doing better this week. I will keep you all posted.

bridgofaith,

Wanted to send this so everyone can see.

THanks for you help in this post. It should serve as a good learning experience for all with similar issues.

My female is LOVING the warm mist humidifier and hangs out right in the smoke it makes. She no longer has any bubbles going on in her mouth.

She is doing alot better this AM and hope to have her eating on her own soon.

Just wanted to say thanks!

Anthony

bridgofaith,

Wanted to send this so everyone can see.

OTHanks for you help in this post. It should serve as a good learning experience for all with similar issues.

My female is LOVING the warm mist humidifier and hangs out right in the smoke it makes. She no longer has any bubbles going on in iiher mouth.

She is doing alot better this AM and hope to have her eating on her own soon.

Just wanted to say thanks!

Anthony

Awesome!

That is exactly what she should be doing, she figured out that the warm mist helps her to breathe easier. Great job Anthony!

I have a very dehydrated female panther about 8 months old. Eyes are severely sunken in. I got her a whole new set-up yesterday with a timed mister going for 60 seconds on the hour. I have a drip system going constantly. I was giving her warm baths under the sink and letting water drip from my finger into her mouth. After the mister turns off it stimulates her to drink so I have been giving a 1:1 ratio of pedialyte from a dropper in her mouth until she is done drinking. Just got a whole variety of veggies cut up and put into the cricket cage to cutload them for her. I also got some type of worm that the serpentarium employee recommended due to its high calcium content. She pooped earlier and her urate is orange. She is keeping her eyes closed under her basking spot currently and opens them when the misters come on. Color is good currently but was getting grey/ Brown when I took her out for baths. Not sure what else I can do. Temp and humidity is good. I got a uvb light and heat lamp. I will post pictures if someone could please respond and give me any kind of feedback they can. I want a personal opinion of if chameleons in this condition have come back from this..... Please help

Could your female be gravid?
Please post a recent photo and answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum so we can help you better.

Back
Top Bottom