Chameleon with multiple possible problems..

I guess the vet forum member isn’t around, but Google showed me this.
https://www.reptilesmagazine.com/the-vet-report-fluid-therapy-in-reptiles/
From https://chameleonacademy.com/ep-30-introduction-to-chameleons/
Baths will help hydrate your sick chameleon. Some lizards are bathed with the idea that they absorb moisture through their cloaca or that it will help with a shed. This is done with bearded dragons and some other terrestrial lizards. Although there seems to be no conclusive proof that this is useful for hydration in those lizards, some people, and even vets, have extended this to chameleons and have decided what is good for bearded dragons is good for chameleons. If your vet tells you to do this then you have to follow his or her instructions over some guy with a podcast. But if you are deciding this on your own then know that putting a chameleon in puddle of water is not their natural comfort zone and the stress you cause by doing this is hardly worth any amount of hydration they may, but probably will not, get from splashing about. Chameleons should be hydrated the way chameleons are hydrated. Misting or gentle showers. If your chameleon has their eyes closed and will not drink then this requires vet care. At no point along the way, healthy or in rehabilitation, is a bath a good husbandry practice for a chameleon.
Thank you for this. I have found so much conflicting information that it’s hard to know. I can’t remember where but I found something on this site stating one of the vets fully indorsed bathing dehydrated chameleons because of the cloacal drinking. If I find it I will post it here but until then, I will probably just continue squirting small amounts of water into his mouth while he eats (to prevent aspiration as he’s already in the process of swallowing food), until signs of dehydration improve, ie:sunken eyes, and orange urates.

Thank you for this. I have found so much conflicting information that it’s hard to know. I can’t remember where but I found something on this site stating one of the vets fully indorsed bathing dehydrated chameleons because of the cloacal drinking. If I find it I will post it here but until then, I will probably just continue squirting small amounts of water into his mouth while he eats (to prevent aspiration as he’s already in the process of swallowing food), until signs of dehydration improve, ie:sunken eyes, and orange urates.
This is from 2014 so I’m not sure what to think but here’s a picture of the links and interaction.

Attachments

• 04ED166E-032E-49AB-97B3-EC30FE03E83A.png
    04ED166E-032E-49AB-97B3-EC30FE03E83A.png
    180.5 KB · Views: 88
This is from 2014 so I’m not sure what to think but here’s a picture of the links and interaction.
Interesting. I’ve met Dr O and do trust his chameleon expertise. However, our knowledge about chams is continuously growing. With all of that being said, I personally wouldn’t bathe my cham unless it was a last ditch desperate attempt when all other options were tried. The stress of it for the cham would be considerable.
For giving him fluids in his mouth, just keep in mind that the airway is in the front of the mouth, so aim towards the back of the throat. However you do it, I hope you get your guy back to good health quickly. :)

You said..."I use cricket food with calcium"...it would be better if you fed your crickets dandelion greens, kale, endive, collards, squash, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, zucchini and a tiny bit of fruit such as apples, pears, berries, papaya, etc.

Interesting. I’ve met Dr O and do trust his chameleon expertise. However, our knowledge about chams is continuously growing. With all of that being said, I personally wouldn’t bathe my cham unless it was a last ditch desperate attempt when all other options were tried. The stress of it for the cham would be considerable.
For giving him fluids in his mouth, just keep in mind that the airway is in the front of the mouth, so aim towards the back of the throat. However you do it, I hope you get your guy back to good health quickly. :)
Okay! Also, good news, he seems to have gotten hydrated pretty well from my attempt at giving him water. His urates were mostly white and a little runny so I think he is now well hydrated and I don’t have to worry about getting him extra water. I’ll post a picture in a second.

Here’s the urates I noticed today. I’m working on covering that dirt with large rocks. That’s on the to do list today :). Also his reptibreeze enclosure comes in January. And his fecal examination came back negative.

Attachments

• 1936527B-C2AF-45DF-985F-C934DBFE4CFF.jpeg
    1936527B-C2AF-45DF-985F-C934DBFE4CFF.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 88
The plant dripper isn’t running right now but when it is, I will cover the water basin with something to keep dirt, feces, and crickets out. I hand mist as well at the moment. I can’t find my reptirain. The bottom is a screen drainage area where the water flows into a bucket. I’m going to have to redo it once I get the 24x24x48 enclosure as I realized this one is only 17x17x36.... here’s a video of the enclosure right now, keep in mind I just redid the whole thing and am working on trying to figure out how to place horizontal branches for him. https://photos.app.goo.gl/6vQFKUSwsREJbw258

The plant dripper isn’t running right now but when it is, I will cover the water basin with something to keep dirt, feces, and crickets out. I hand mist as well at the moment. I can’t find my reptirain. The bottom is a screen drainage area where the water flows into a bucket. I’m going to have to redo it once I get the 24x24x48 enclosure as I realized this one is only 17x17x36.... here’s a video of the enclosure right now, keep in mind I just redid the whole thing and am working on trying to figure out how to place horizontal branches for him. https://photos.app.goo.gl/6vQFKUSwsREJbw258
Looking good. He does need more space and branches but I have no idea how to attach to glass. Until his screened enclosure comes, do make sure to keep your humidity levels no higher than 50% during the day.
For attaching branches, vines, plants and whatever else in screened enclosures, I swear by dragon ledges. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ Some have crafted their own version... @Klyde O'Scope could probably tell you more about that.

Looking good. He does need more space and branches but I have no idea how to attach to glass. Until his screened enclosure comes, do make sure to keep your humidity levels no higher than 50% during the day.
For attaching branches, vines, plants and whatever else in screened enclosures, I swear by dragon ledges. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ Some have crafted their own version... @Klyde O'Scope could probably tell you more about that.
I have seen dragon ledges! They look awesome. I was thinking of using floral wire to attach wood and other things like vines to the screen enclosure

Suction cups? Like tie the branches/vines to the little loops.

I have some bad news. Sometime last night Zenji passed away from unknown causes. He was at the bottom with his mouth open, pale, and dead. I am so upset and sad because he was eating and doing better and then he just didn’t make it...
I am SOO sorry for your loss! My heart and prayers to you and your chameleon..😞

I have some bad news. Sometime last night Zenji passed away from unknown causes. He was at the bottom with his mouth open, pale, and dead. I am so upset and sad because he was eating and doing better and then he just didn’t make it...

I'm sorry to hear he didn't make it :(

Back
Top Bottom