Chameleon subreddit... is it for real?

I see your point, however, that doesn’t address the fact that it becomes a bacteria cesspool.
No it doesn’t, we’ll not if it’s changed daily. A dripper is also standing water for the most part until it drips, which would still contain the bacteria. Changing and cleaning a glass would be much easier than a dripper too. TBH I’m not even that concerned with bacteria to begin with as long as it’s not obviously disgusting… chams eat insects after all. Many of these insects are eating rotten flesh and feces lol.

I’m not saying these mods are right, they come off as the authoritative types that try to make a name for themselves by doing something unconventional. Not on their side at all. But if a Cham is willingly drinking from a fresh glass of water each day, who am I to say that’s wrong?

They always say use a glass so the chameleon can drink as much as they want... Why can't they drink as much mist and dripper water as they want? Complete lack of logic. Also I would hate to see someone try their methods on a Parsons or more advanced species and see how wrong they really are.
Having experience with a parsons, this is what I bring up regarding drippers or really anything that doesn’t spray water straight into their mouth lol whether it’s fog or mist. Parsons are from extremely humid rainforests though so their reaction to water won’t be the same as the more common species.

No it doesn’t, we’ll not if it’s changed daily. A dripper is also standing water for the most part until it drips, which would still contain the bacteria. Changing and cleaning a glass would be much easier than a dripper too. TBH I’m not even that concerned with bacteria to begin with as long as it’s not obviously disgusting… chams eat insects after all. Many of these insects are eating rotten flesh and feces lol.

I’m not saying these mods are right, they come off as the authoritative types that try to make a name for themselves by doing something unconventional. Not on their side at all. But if a Cham is willingly drinking from a fresh glass of water each day, who am I to say that’s wrong?
I see what you mean. The big difference with a drippers “standing water” vs a glass, is that the dripper is covered and outside the enclosure, the water bowl or glass is inside the enclosure and is open, exposed to poops, bugs, etc…I am opposed to the suggestion of water bowls because unless it’s cleaned daily, it’s not necessarily the best idea. For beginners, a dripper is better. Many people think they can put a bowl of water in the enclosure and leave it until it’s empty, when they hear that a water bowl can be used.

Not to mention, for the most part, chameleons rarely go to the ground unless to lay eggs or if they fall out of a tree. It is, like I said, for the most part safe to say that it isn’t really natural for them to drink from standing water at the bottom of their enclosure. It does not mimic their natural environment. In the wild chameleons drink water in trees that is dripping onto leaves. The reason why a dripper is so much more preferred (besides the fact that it is generally cleaner) is that it allows us to mimic dripping water onto leaves in captivity. The whole goal of Chamaeleon husbandry is to replicate their natural habitat as closely as possible, and using a water bowl does not do so.

Please by all means, you do you, if what you do with your chameleons works for you and them, great! But like I said, for beginners, I wouldn’t recommend it.

I did not mean to hijack the thread and turn it into a dripper vs bowl post. We can move on now lol

Last edited:
If you have bioactive they go down to bottom more then you think. I've got a female parson that weighs around 310 gram just shy of a year old she was eating cuc. Same with my 2 panthers. So if there some thing down. There they want they will.
Doesn't mean u should force them to drink out a cup. There's no cups in wild. I think chameleon better off with mister dripper or both. My parson never liked her dripper. But loves mister.

I see what you mean. The big difference with a drippers “standing water” vs a glass, is that the dripper is covered and outside the enclosure, the water bowl or glass is inside the enclosure and is open, exposed to poops, bugs, etc…I am opposed to the suggestion of water bowls because unless it’s cleaned daily, it’s not necessarily the best idea. For beginners, a dripper is better. Many people think they can put a bowl of water in the enclosure and leave it until it’s empty, when they hear that a water bowl can be used.

Not to mention, for the most part, chameleons rarely go to the ground unless to lay eggs or if they fall out of a tree. It is, like I said, for the most part safe to say that it isn’t really natural for them to drink from standing water at the bottom of their enclosure. It does not mimic their natural environment. In the wild chameleons drink water in trees that is dripping onto leaves. The reason why a dripper is so much more preferred (besides the fact that it is generally cleaner) is that it allows us to mimic dripping water onto leaves in captivity. The whole goal of Chamaeleon husbandry is to replicate their natural habitat as closely as possible, and using a water bowl does not do so.

Please by all means, you do you, if what you do with your chameleons works for you and them, great! But like I said, for beginners, I wouldn’t recommend it.

I did not mean to hijack the thread and turn it into a dripper vs bowl post. We can move on now lol
Yeah trust me I get where you’re coming from and I’m with ya. I don’t like the sounds of these mods at all. And I’m definitely in agreement that it’s not for beginners for sure(I went into detail about this in the last Reddit thread several weeks back). I was mostly just giving someone(hypothetical) a break that may have years of experience and quietly lets their Cham drink from a fresh glass each day without telling others they need to go do that. I am all about striving for the natural way, that’s definitely how I set it up for my animals. I can also accept that for some things it doesn’t matter much as long as it’s safe and effective. I mean, many things are unnatural, even if we have a fully planted bio with flashing lights and thunder for every mist session to simulate a rainstorm lol. Then there have been many veiled have lived long lives off pinky mice and plastic plants(not that I’d recommend that!!). I think it shows that the animals can adapt within reason to do well as long as their needs are met. Also, I agree with @Jpeff about chams going to the ground, mine always did way more than I’d expect. My parsons even did on the rare occasion.

What it comes down to me, I’m all for having beginner guidelines. I just don’t like to attack someone who isn’t pushing their ways if they have success to back it up. So my issue is more of how these Reddit mods go about it than what they’re actually doing(assuming they’ve had some amount of success and experience with it)

Yeah trust me I get where you’re coming from and I’m with ya. I don’t like the sounds of these mods at all. And I’m definitely in agreement that it’s not for beginners for sure(I went into detail about this in the last Reddit thread several weeks back). I was mostly just giving someone(hypothetical) a break that may have years of experience and quietly lets their Cham drink from a fresh glass each day without telling others they need to go do that. I am all about striving for the natural way, that’s definitely how I set it up for my animals. I can also accept that for some things it doesn’t matter much as long as it’s safe and effective. I mean, many things are unnatural, even if we have a fully planted bio with flashing lights and thunder for every mist session to simulate a rainstorm lol. Then there have been many veiled have lived long lives off pinky mice and plastic plants(not that I’d recommend that!!). I think it shows that the animals can adapt within reason to do well as long as their needs are met. Also, I agree with @Jpeff about chams going to the ground, mine always did way more than I’d expect. My parsons even did on the rare occasion.

What it comes down to me, I’m all for having beginner guidelines. I just don’t like to attack someone who isn’t pushing their ways if they have success to back it up. So my issue is more of how these Reddit mods go about it than what they’re actually doing(assuming they’ve had some amount of success and experience with it)
Totally in agreement! The entire subreddit is sadly just a terrible environment all around :/

Totally in agreement! The entire subreddit is sadly just a terrible environment all around :/
Yeah man that’s why I don’t even bother getting into all the social media platforms. This and a couple other animal related forums are the only social media I do. Not like I’m above it all, But I get heated too easily over dumb things I see on the internet so I have to limit it haha.

Honestly at the end of the day if someone wants to put a water cup in there enclosure *with misting and other hydration methods* there is 100% no issue!

I feel it’s the same attitude you see in a lot of social media circles these days. Hell, I got attacked on the rabs bio group a few years back on Facebook because a person asked about putting a weed plant in an enclosure. I pointed out that they’re toxic to animals if ingested and all of the sudden they made me out to be some reefer madness type.

I feel it’s the same attitude you see in a lot of social media circles these days. Hell, I got attacked on the rabs bio group a few years back on Facebook because a person asked about putting a weed plant in an enclosure. I pointed out that they’re toxic to animals if ingested and all of the sudden they made me out to be some reefer madness type.
Probably want to mellow out their cham

I was in like 3 FB general cham advice groups (along with some cage building and other more specific groups, too) where I was constantly harassed for correcting info from mainly mods and some other people, almost getting banned multiple times for correcting, with proof and scientific evidence, people there. It was like Reddit where the mods' ways are the only ways, no matter the proof for better practices. My FB did get hacked a few years ago, so I'm no longer on there

I was in like 3 FB general cham advice groups (along with some cage building and other more specific groups, too) where I was constantly harassed for correcting info from mainly mods and some other people, almost getting banned multiple times for correcting, with proof and scientific evidence, people there. It was like Reddit where the mods' ways are the only ways, no matter the proof for better practices. My FB did get hacked a few years ago, so I'm no longer on there
Not surprised. I left years ago as well.

Back
Top Bottom