Chameleon Species Photographs & Highlights

NHenn

Avid Member
Although breeding and raising chameleons is by far our favorite thing to do, photographing and documenting the different species, especially some of the rare chameleons in the hobby is a very close second. I thought it would be something different and special to start posting all the species that we have photographed here at Canvas Chameleons. It has always been our goal to share these amazing creatures with the world so we hope you enjoy seeing all the different species that we have photographed!

First up is the Trioceros cristatus or Crested Chameleon. T. cristatus is endemic to Africa and is distributed in west and central Africa from Nigeria eastwards into the Congo basin. It is most commonly associated with Cameroon as it was typically the country of origin for past imports of this species.

Sexual dimorphism in T. cristatus is very obvious with the males colors being shades of browns, oranges and tans where the females have varying shades of green. Additionally, the females tend to be larger than the males which is different from most of the common species we see in the hobby.

Trioceros Cristatus - Crested Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (1) w.jpg
Trioceros Cristatus - Crested Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (2) w.jpg
Trioceros Cristatus - Crested Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (3) w.jpg
Trioceros Cristatus - Crested Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Female (1) Small.jpg
Trioceros Cristatus - Crested Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Female (2) Small.jpg
Trioceros Cristatus - Crested Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (1) Small.jpg
Trioceros Cristatus - Crested Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (2) Small.jpg
Trioceros Cristatus - Crested Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (3) Small.jpg
Trioceros Cristatus - Crested Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (4) Small.jpg

Thank you everyone, I appreciate all your support. I hope to create a great thread to showcase all the different chameleons and specific species that I've photographed.

The next species on our journey is the Werner's Chameleon, Trioceros werneri. This incredible species is endemic to the forests of the Udzungwa, Uluguru, Ukaguru, Nguru and Rubeho Mountains in Tanzania’s Eastern Arc Mountain Range. Males exhibit three horns where the females possess a single horn extending from their snout. Both male and females have fused occipital lobe that are typically displayed when in an aggressive or defensive state.

This pair was born in captivity (females are ovoviviparous) by our good friend Carl Cattau in September of 2014 and we had the honor of picking out these two just a few weeks after being born. It has been our goal ever since to breed this pair and produce F2 offspring but to date no breeding activity has occurred. Hopefully after another winter season the female will be receptive and ready for matting in the spring.

Trioceros Werneri - Werner's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (1) Small.jpg
Trioceros Werneri - Werner's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (2) Small.jpg
Trioceros Werneri - Werner's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (3) Small.jpg
Trioceros Werneri - Werner's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (4) Small.jpg
Trioceros Werneri - Werner's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (6) Small.jpg
Trioceros Werneri - Werner's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (7) Small.jpg
Trioceros Werneri - Werner's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Female (1) Small.jpg
Trioceros Werneri - Werner's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Female (2) Small.jpg
Trioceros Werneri - Werner's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Female (3) Small.jpg

Jumping from Tanzania back to Cameroon we have the beautiful Trioceros montium or the Cameroon Two-horned Mountain Chameleon or Cameroon Sailfin Chameleon. T. montium is endemic to Cameroon and can only be found in the Cameroonian highlands around Mount Cameroon.

The two defining and unique characteristics for males of the T. montium species is their two front horns and their sail like dorsal crest that runs the entire length of their back and onto the base of their tail. Males can exhibit a wide range of colors from deep forest greens to bright yellow greens and even shades of blue and white at times. White and blue spots on their faces as well as a black horizontal line across their eye lids are typical.

Females on the other hand posses no horns and their dorsal sail is much lower in profile than the males. Females typically display varying shades of green with larger green spots spreading from their faces onto portions of their bodies. Burnt oranges can be seen breaking up small patches of green scales along the sides of their bodies. They also contain the same black horizontal line across their eye lid as the males do.

Trioceros Montium - Two Horned Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male -2 (3) Small.jpg
Trioceros Montium - Two Horned Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male -2 (2) Small.jpg
Trioceros Montium - Two Horned Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male -2 (1) Small.jpg

Trioceros Montium - Two Horned Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male -1 (5) Small.jpg
Trioceros Montium - Two Horned Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male -1 (4) small.jpg
Trioceros Montium - Two Horned Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male -1 (3) Small.jpg
Trioceros Montium - Two Horned Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male -1 (2) Small.jpg
Trioceros Montium - Two Horned Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male -1 (1) Small.jpg

Trioceros Montium - Two Horned Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Female (3) Small.jpg
Trioceros Montium - Two Horned Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Female (1) Small.jpg

Fantastic photos Nick!

Your patience is more impressive than anything!!! I know getting those pics was not a fast venture. Keep them coming!

Just amazing photos, those montiums are SO gorgeous- those big white scales- my goodness - I would so love them! Thanks for sharing your wonderful animals - it's such a treat to see such images.:love:

Thank you everyone, I appreciate all your support. I hope to create a great thread to showcase all the different chameleons and specific species that I've photographed.
Nick, thank you for introducing me to new species.

I'm endlessly fascinated to learn all I can, and here you have them all photographed and ready to showcase. Awesome!

The female looks at times, like a perfect leaf.

Nick, thank you for introducing me to new species.

I'm endlessly fascinated to learn all I can, and here you have them all photographed and ready to showcase. Awesome!

The female looks at times, like a perfect leaf.

You are very welcome! Thank you for all the support, I can't wait to post some more :)

We are back to our species highlights with a very special and Endangered chameleon. Up next is the beautiful Trioceros perreti or Southern Peacock Chameleon. T. perrerti is considered Endangered because of its small distribution consisting of only three known locations within the montane savannah grasslands of Cameroon. To make matters worse, all three of these locations are under threat from the ongoing decline of these montane grasslands they call home.

T. perreti is listed as a Class A species under Cameroonian law which in turn grants them full protection and restricts them from being collected. However, despite this legal protection this species is still removed from the wild and exported for the international pet trade from both Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea.

Both males and females typically posses a lime green coloration across their entire body but some females have been shown to develop more of a brown / tan body tone. The dorsal crest on males will have a defined scalloped composition where the females will be much less pronounced.

Trioceros Perreti - Petters Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (1) w.jpg
Trioceros Perreti - Petters Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (2) w.jpg
Trioceros Perreti - Petters Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (3) w.jpg
Trioceros Perreti - Petters Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (4) w.jpg
Trioceros Perreti - Petters Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (5) w.jpg
Trioceros Perreti - Petters Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (6) w.jpg

Trioceros Perreti - Petters Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Female (1) w.jpg
Trioceros Perreti - Petters Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Female (2) w.jpg
Trioceros Perreti - Petters Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Female (3) w.jpg
Trioceros Perreti - Petters Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Female (4) w.jpg

In our last post, we featured an endangered chameleon from the montane savannah grasslands of Cameroon, the Trioceros perreti. Today we will want to highlight another endangered species from the highlands of Cameroon, the Trioceros pfefferi, aka the Pfeffer’s Two-horned Chameleon or just simply the Pfeffer's Chameleon.

The T. pfefferi has been found in primary submontane to montane forests in the Southwest and Northwest regions of Cameroon. It is considered an Endangered species because despite it having a relatively large distribution, it is also restricted to primary forest habitat in a narrow elevation range. This results in various populations of the species being spread out from each other over large distances.

As shown in the pictures, the male T. pfeffero is absolutely stunning with a wide range of colors and patterns. Males will possess two horns that extend from their rostrals where the females only have minor rostral projections. Males and females both have similar head shapes and body structures with large defining conical scales (spikes) on their gular.

As with the T. perreti, the T pfefferi is also listed as a Class A species under Cameroonian law which in turn grants them full protection and restricts them from being collected. However, despite this legal protection this species is still removed from the wild and exported for the international pet trade from both Cameroon and Equatorial Guinea.

Trioceros Pfefferi - Pfeffer's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (1) w.jpg
Trioceros Pfefferi - Pfeffer's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (2) w.jpg
Trioceros Pfefferi - Pfeffer's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (3) w.jpg
Trioceros Pfefferi - Pfeffer's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (4) w.jpg
Trioceros Pfefferi - Pfeffer's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (5) w.jpg
Trioceros Pfefferi - Pfeffer's Chameleon - Canvas Chameleons - Male (6) w.jpg

Back
Top Bottom