Chameleon Shed

Nrupaw

Established Member
Thaakur, my Jackson's Chameleon started shedding today. He is my first chameleon and this is the first time he started shedding in my care. Its absolutely fascinating to watch. The pics i have seen in the forum dont even come close to describing how "out of this world" the process looks. He is now chilling on his perch about to go to bed and is the limiest green i have ever seen!

The thing i am curious about is how do i go about cleaning his cage now? It looks like its been through a confetti ticker tape parade! White pieces of skin everywhere. Any ideas?

Sorry about the lousy pics. The iPhone camera isnt the greatest

esegavyr.jpg

u6u4avy4.jpg

enurugy3.jpg

etetaram.jpg

Sometimes they'll actually eat their skin remains. I don't know if it's bad for them or not. As far as I know, you shouldn't have to do anything different as far as cleaning the cage goes. Just wait until he is done shedding.

I once had 3 shedding at the same time. It was cute to see them all looking like little mummies. BUT.....what a mess!! I just wait until they are totally done shedding then I pick up what I can with my hands. If it's too bad, I'll take the cages outside and spray them down with a hose (while my chams are tanning on their favorite trees of course :D) to get the remaining bits. But most times I can just pick the pieces out of their cage becuase they are big enough and wipe everything down. Good luck!!!

I once had 3 shedding at the same time. It was cute to see them all looking like little mummies. BUT.....what a mess!! I just wait until they are totally done shedding then I pick up what I can with my hands. If it's too bad, I'll take the cages outside and spray them down with a hose (while my chams are tanning on their favorite trees of course :D) to get the remaining bits. But most times I can just pick the pieces out of their cage becuase they are big enough and wipe everything down. Good luck!!!

Right on. I can't start imagining how much work i'd be to clean 3 cages at the same time.

My Cham's a little dude so the pieces of shed are really small. managed the clean the floor of his cage easily but will have to figure something out for the pieces of shed on the vines and leaves in the cage. I think the dude was walking around rubbing himself on all the vines to get the skin off, so its spread all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom