Chameleon not eating, not drinking enough, eyes closed during the day and gapping a lot

Xemarvelous18x

I have a male veiled chameleon. And recently he hasn’t been eating nor drinking enough. He’s been less active. He has also been gapping a lot more than usual. I am starting to think he has an upper respiratory infection. I have an appointment for Wednesday at the vet because that’s the soonest they can do. I’m just worried and need advice on what to do.

Maybe you could fill out the husbandry form if you want, to get feedback if there is anything wrong that could be causing this

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Every 3 hours for 65 seconds. Temps are usually 85 and humidity lately has been the issue it’s been too high and I haven’t figured
Out how to lower them.

Maybe you could fill out the husbandry form if you want, to get feedback if there is anything wrong that could be causing this

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled, male. 3/4 months of age and has been about 2 months in my care
  • Handling - Twice a week for handling
  • Feeding - crickets, black soldier larvae/flies, hornet worms(treat), silk worms (when available), wax worms (monthly)
  • Supplements - Calcium 6x a week, I flip flop every other week with multivitamin and calcium with d3
  • Watering - I have a dripper, and automatic mister every 3 hours for 65 seconds and then I do it manually sometimes when needed
  • Fecal Description - Lately his droppings have been small and black. He has not been tested for parasites
  • History -

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen and 16x48x16 I believe it was the reptile one from the pet store I plan on getting a different one soon
  • Lighting - I have the T5 HO 5.0 UVB and a blue heat lamp for the day
  • Temperature - Usually 85 or so depends on when the mister goes off, and I have two different temp gauges
  • Humidity - Lately they have been too high and I’ve been trying to fix that. I have a humidity gauge
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a potho and still getting more
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? In my room by a window, it has a fan above it because it’s in my room. It’s kind of in a high traffic area, just depends
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I am in Illinois

Current Problem - He hasn’t been eating nor drinking much. His eyes have been closed during the day I’ve noticed yesterday. And he’s gapping a lot. I am going to the vet Wednesday because that’s the soonest I could get in

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

I have to get more real plants and I plan on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 101
I have to get more real plants and I plan on it
You need to call the vet and tell them it is an emergency. Hopefully they are a vet that works with reptiles/chameleons or they will not have the experience needed. He needs to be started on antibiotics. He is in a classic pose to try to breathe in that pic. Eyes are sunken in due to the RI. An RI will take them down fast when it gets to the point of not being able to breathe.

https://xjz.96f.myftpupload.com/chameleon-medical-respiratory-infection/

You need to call the vet and tell them it is an emergency. Hopefully they are a vet that works with reptiles/chameleons or they will not have the experience needed. He needs to be started on antibiotics. He is in a classic pose to try to breathe in that pic. Eyes are sunken in due to the RI. An RI will take them down fast when it gets to the point of not being able to breathe.

https://xjz.96f.myftpupload.com/chameleon-medical-respiratory-infection/
The soonest I can get him to a vet is Wednesday..

Call them and say it is urgent... My vet will see me on an emergency appointment even if she is booked out weeks. It costs about $50 more but I get in when I need to.
It would be 300 for emergency and I personally do not have that.. but I’m going to find another place

It would be 300 for emergency and I personally do not have that.. but I’m going to find another place
WOW well not what my vet does. Call around and see if you can find someone that works with reptiles and has chameleon experience to get him in today. He may be fine until Wednesday but but when it comes to an animals life I tend to go with caution over waiting. The eyes being closed during the day and the extension of the gular nose up are not good. Are you hearing wheezing?

Back
Top Bottom