Chameleon in a dire situation.

Before reading: keep in mind that that the chameleon is in a condition, specified below, that may or may not justify the unusual conditions. I also must stress that I cannot go to the vet for financial, location, and age reasons.

Type: Female Veiled chameleon, about a year to a year and a half old.

Handling: Haven't had her long enough to handle very much, but doesn't seem to mind or even move while I handle her . To me this is a bad sign since she should be somewhat alerted when i touch her . (he does change color with no noticeable movement.

Feeding: I am planning on feeding her through a syringe, I have given her food including crickets, horn worms, meal worms, and super worms. I have tried a few feeding techniques including force feeding, but to no avail. I plan on using crickets and mixing with the specified supplements after I figure out a plan. I am gut loading with carrots and some fluker's calcium.
Supplements: I am planning on putting calcium without D3 and vitamins when I syringe feed her . I don't know the ratio or if this is a good idea, so please, if you can, tell me how much of each i should have in the syringe when I feed her .

Watering: I mist her cage about every hour, there is always water on the leaves, but i do not know her previous situation.

Fecal description: Have not seen her poop yet. I am also not sure, since she can't move, how i will deal with her poop, since i don't want her to smear it on her self. (Some ideas would be gratefully appreciated.)

History: I was given this chameleon during an animal show and was told she was having some issues growing and eating, I was given her for free and after a few days of not eating and barely drinking, she started to have issues with walking (Though I am almost sure she has some form of gout on her back legs) she also spends a lot of her time with her eyes closed, and doesn't seem to flinch or move no matter what I do. Sometimes I wonder if she is dead. I understand, especially without access or money for a vet, she will probably die, but I want to do the best I can to try to save her . (I have had chameleons before and they lived to be happy, and healthy)

Cage Info:

Cage: Glass and about 8 inches by 18 inches by 11. I understand that this is not suitable for a chameleon, and I have a much bigger screen cage, but due to what i expect is dehydration, along with her inability to climb trees, it is the best option i have as it is shallow (in case of a fall) and it is glass so water is trapped much better.

Lighting: I have a UV bulb that is very close to her, I turn of the light at 8 and turn it on at 8 so I doubt it is an issue.

Temperature: currently I have a heat mat that, again, won't be used if I get her back to health. A heat lamp heats up the glass enclosure to much, and a heat mat is a lot easier to control and harder for her to burn herself on, the area she sits in is around 85 degrees, but since she can't move much at all, I don't think a higher temperature would be very safe for her.

Humidity: I spray her so often, and I see so much water, that humidity couldn't possibly be an issue, though before I received her I'm not sure what the conditions were.

Plants: No live plants because if she did climb I wouldn't want the risk of it breaking, though I do have live plants in her permanent cage I will put her in if she survives.

Placement: I place her about 3 feet off of the ground in my room in a very low traffic area, i do my best to maintain airflow using a slow fan since she is in a glass tank.
Current Problem:

1. I need to know how to deal with a few issues, she won't eat anything so I plan on syringe feeding her a mix of the calcium, vitamins, and crushed crickets. (If you have a better idea please tell me) I also need to know how to syringe feed.

2. How can I give her the ability to cleanly poop.

3. What might be causing her back legs to not work. (And if it is gout how to deal with it).

4. If being egg bound or pregnant could be causing the issues. (I have supplied her with a laying bin that was appropriately sized and I never saw her digging or showing any signs of pregnancy)

5. Does she look over/under weight. (i'm currently trying to get access to a scale and if I get one I will definitely post results.)

6. Does she possibly have MBD.

Something to consider: she can't walk or stand, so a hammock was the only way I could think of keeping her off the ground. When I hold her she always seems to play dead so that will explain the closed eyes while I hold her, you will notice when she is just sitting there she has her eyes opened. I will also do my best to update everyone on her status over the next few weeks.

The first 10 pictures are here:

Attachments

• IMG_1209.JPG
    IMG_1209.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1211.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    272.5 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_1212.JPG
    IMG_1212.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1213.JPG
    IMG_1213.JPG
    432.5 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1214.JPG
    IMG_1214.JPG
    291 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1215.JPG
    IMG_1215.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1216.JPG
    IMG_1216.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 282
the next 5 are here:

Attachments

• IMG_1208.JPG
    IMG_1208.JPG
    407.8 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1220.JPG
    IMG_1220.JPG
    229.8 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 212
My friend there is no way around it she needs a Vet like NOW! Either to properly diagnose her with MBD which I clearly think she has and possibly even egg bound by the looks of her. Either way an xray is MANDATORY! I don't say this easily or often but you may want to consider humanly euthanasing her depending on what said very says. Also the conditions you're keeping her in aren't helping but hurting her more! You might think you're helping by putting her in said conditions but sadly you'd be mistaken. I'm sorry for your poor girl. Just my 2¢

She is in dire condition. Nothing you can do can help her right now, with the exception of a vet visit.

I know this may sound harsh, but it's the truth: If you're not willing to take her to the vet, then the only other responsible thing you can do is find a reptile rescue to take the poor thing in. She needs a vet and will die without one.

And nothing enclosure-wise a healthy chameleon needs. A hammock and a heat mat? You say yourself that without a vet visit she'll probably die but if you don't set her up with a proper vivarium then she's for sure a goner.
What should we suggest Doc for the op?some flower n the black suit if the worst thing happen?

I legitimately cant, like I said. I understand that these are not good conditions, but I have no choice. All of the equipment that i have would be much more dangerous. If someone can answer these questions and stop repeating the same stuff that I have already responded too please do.

If you can't afford to have her treated, I'd suggest surrendering her to an experienced reptile rescue or having her humanely euthanized. Most vet clinics will have a form to fill out if you're unable to pay that will allow them to euthanize at no cost. She's in a really bad way. :( I'm sorry, and I know you're trying to help her, but I personally believe it'd be cruel to prolong her suffering.

I legitimately cant, like I said. I understand that these are not good conditions, but I have no choice. All of the equipment that i have would be much more dangerous. If someone can answer these questions and stop repeating the same stuff that I have already responded too please do.
There is nothing anyone can do here for her she needs the correct care. You can not provide it period . Find another home
For her please !.

And we're all telling you there's nothing YOU can do at home that's going to save this poor chams life. A vet experienced with chameleons is the only thing. You can research syringe feeding on this forum using the search bar (magnifying glass) and MBD and egg binding.

@SidneyJohnsonPhil please understand NO ONE here is trying to be harsh. She looks to have MBD... Casque is malformed, arch to her spine, and the tell tell signs her bones in her legs are miss shaped. Without Vet care you will not be able to rehab her. She should be turned over to a rescue that can provide the proper care or humanly euthanized by a vet. With a female having MBD to this extent you have additional issues rehabbing them due to them laying infertile eggs.

Honestly by the looks of her and the condition she is in I would be surprised if she could handle rehab at this point. I don't think she has long.

Frankly I am very shocked that this animal would be taken to a reptile show for others to see... It would not give me confidence buying a cham from a person that would have one in this poor of health.

Have you tried calling any of your local rescues or Vets and just asked for help?

If you can't afford to have her treated, I'd suggest surrendering her to an experienced reptile rescue or having her humanely euthanized. Most vet clinics will have a form to fill out if you're unable to pay that will allow them to euthanize at no cost. She's in a really bad way. :( I'm sorry, and I know you're trying to help her, but I personally believe it'd be cruel to prolong her suffering.
I would if I could. I probably should have elaborated better, but I was sold her knowing she was extremely unhealthy. The guy that sold her to me said he was gonna toss her if no one took her so I took her. I understand theirs health risks, but a few days of suffering followed by death is not nearly enough to outweigh the chance that she will have a happier life.

@SidneyJohnsonPhil please understand NO ONE here is trying to be harsh. She looks to have MBD... Casque is malformed, arch to her spine, and the tell tell signs her bones in her legs are miss shaped. Without Vet care you will not be able to rehab her. She should be turned over to a rescue that can provide the proper care or humanly euthanized by a vet. With a female having MBD to this extent you have additional issues rehabbing them due to them laying infertile eggs.

Honestly by the looks of her and the condition she is in I would be surprised if she could handle rehab at this point. I don't think she has long.

Frankly I am very shocked that this animal would be taken to a reptile show for others to see... It would not give me confidence buying a cham from a person that would have one in this poor of health.

Have you tried calling any of your local rescues or Vets and just asked for help?
There are no local rehabs or vets. The nearest one was pretty far and I don't think she would handle the drive.

Before reading: keep in mind that that the chameleon is in a condition, specified below, that may or may not justify the unusual conditions. I also must stress that I cannot go to the vet for financial, location, and age reasons.

Type: Female Veiled chameleon, about a year to a year and a half old.

Handling: Haven't had her long enough to handle very much, but doesn't seem to mind or even move while I handle her . To me this is a bad sign since she should be somewhat alerted when i touch her . (he does change color with no noticeable movement.

Feeding: I am planning on feeding her through a syringe, I have given her food including crickets, horn worms, meal worms, and super worms. I have tried a few feeding techniques including force feeding, but to no avail. I plan on using crickets and mixing with the specified supplements after I figure out a plan. I am gut loading with carrots and some fluker's calcium.
Supplements: I am planning on putting calcium without D3 and vitamins when I syringe feed her . I don't know the ratio or if this is a good idea, so please, if you can, tell me how much of each i should have in the syringe when I feed her .

Watering: I mist her cage about every hour, there is always water on the leaves, but i do not know her previous situation.

Fecal description: Have not seen her poop yet. I am also not sure, since she can't move, how i will deal with her poop, since i don't want her to smear it on her self. (Some ideas would be gratefully appreciated.)

History: I was given this chameleon during an animal show and was told she was having some issues growing and eating, I was given her for free and after a few days of not eating and barely drinking, she started to have issues with walking (Though I am almost sure she has some form of gout on her back legs) she also spends a lot of her time with her eyes closed, and doesn't seem to flinch or move no matter what I do. Sometimes I wonder if she is dead. I understand, especially without access or money for a vet, she will probably die, but I want to do the best I can to try to save her . (I have had chameleons before and they lived to be happy, and healthy)

Cage Info:

Cage: Glass and about 8 inches by 18 inches by 11. I understand that this is not suitable for a chameleon, and I have a much bigger screen cage, but due to what i expect is dehydration, along with her inability to climb trees, it is the best option i have as it is shallow (in case of a fall) and it is glass so water is trapped much better.

Lighting: I have a UV bulb that is very close to her, I turn of the light at 8 and turn it on at 8 so I doubt it is an issue.

Temperature: currently I have a heat mat that, again, won't be used if I get her back to health. A heat lamp heats up the glass enclosure to much, and a heat mat is a lot easier to control and harder for her to burn herself on, the area she sits in is around 85 degrees, but since she can't move much at all, I don't think a higher temperature would be very safe for her.

Humidity: I spray her so often, and I see so much water, that humidity couldn't possibly be an issue, though before I received her I'm not sure what the conditions were.

Plants: No live plants because if she did climb I wouldn't want the risk of it breaking, though I do have live plants in her permanent cage I will put her in if she survives.

Placement: I place her about 3 feet off of the ground in my room in a very low traffic area, i do my best to maintain airflow using a slow fan since she is in a glass tank.
Current Problem:

1. I need to know how to deal with a few issues, she won't eat anything so I plan on syringe feeding her a mix of the calcium, vitamins, and crushed crickets. (If you have a better idea please tell me) I also need to know how to syringe feed.

2. How can I give her the ability to cleanly poop.

3. What might be causing her back legs to not work. (And if it is gout how to deal with it).

4. If being egg bound or pregnant could be causing the issues. (I have supplied her with a laying bin that was appropriately sized and I never saw her digging or showing any signs of pregnancy)

5. Does she look over/under weight. (i'm currently trying to get access to a scale and if I get one I will definitely post results.)

6. Does she possibly have MBD.

Something to consider: she can't walk or stand, so a hammock was the only way I could think of keeping her off the ground. When I hold her she always seems to play dead so that will explain the closed eyes while I hold her, you will notice when she is just sitting there she has her eyes opened. I will also do my best to update everyone on her status over the next few weeks.

I'm not trying to be harsh here, and I haven't read the other comments, but this girl has MBD. I dont want to hurt any feelings, but if you were only using a deep dome with a single UVB on top of the screen this was probably the largest contributing factor outside of using the calcium on the feeders. A deep dome specifically for chams is dangerous on top of a screen cage. There a large distance between the bulb and the screen and the screen is already filtering a huge amount of uvb. Linear is used in general because it's a consistent uvb at an appropriate levels. Domes can be used but you need to be using meters to measure the uvb. I'm sorry that this has happened but MBD is almost completely preventable.

Back
Top Bottom