Chameleon hissing without opening mouth

Chambran

So I let my Male Veiled Chameleon crawl on me and once in a while I would see him make a weird hissing noise (like a cat hiss) but his mouth wasn’t open and he didnt seem to have an angry pattern.

Hmm. It would be possible that he has an Respirstory infection. Have you ever heard it when he was in his enclosure?

This is out of my league--but I will tag some other members with more experience. I also will post a form for you to fill out. It's long but it's the best way to see what could be wrong and help. Welcome to the forums.

I just saw your last post--were you ever able to get him to a vet? If not, given the previous post and this one I would highly recommend you make an appointment. I am sure someone on here cam help find a reputable vet around you.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

My guys occasionally huff at me when they dont get their way. Like when I bring them inside from outside. Its not a hiss, and their mouths are closed... but sort of like a “ugh” letting me know they are annoyed with my decision.

Hmm. It would be possible that he has an Respirstory infection. Have you ever heard it when he was in his enclosure?

This is out of my league--but I will tag some other members with more experience. I also will post a form for you to fill out. It's long but it's the best way to see what could be wrong and help. Welcome to the forums.
I haven't heard it when he was in his enclosure but I just heard it a few days ago and he did it like 2 times. ill be taking him to the vet within a week or two to figure out what's the problem.

I just saw your last post--were you ever able to get him to a vet? If not, given the previous post and this one I would highly recommend you make an appointment. I am sure someone on here cam help find a reputable vet around you.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
I haven't yet but within this week or next week he's for sure going to the vet to get a checkup and make sure he's treated of any illness.

My guys occasionally huff at me when they dont get their way. Like when I bring them inside from outside. Its not a hiss, and their mouths are closed... but sort of like a “ugh” letting me know they are annoyed with my decision.
it was possibly that haha, he was sleeping on my window curtain and I had to wake him up to put him back into his enclosure since we have an inside cat.

Your Chameleon - Male Veiled Chameleon, 7-8 months old (very close estimation). hes been in my care for 6 1/2 months

Handling - once every 2 days, i only handle him if he comes to me when i open his enclosure.

Feeding - i feed him crickets mainly which i gutload with "Nature Zone Total Bites for Crickets" , he eats about 6 to 15 crickets a day and he doesn't eat if he's not hungry . once in a while ill give him one hornworm to munch on. i also stopped giving him mealworms since i read they are bad for chameleons.

Supplements - For calicum i use "Repti-Calcium without D3" and for vitamins i use "Zoo Meds Reptivite Reptile Vitamins" i dust the crickets with vitamins once every other feeding and i also dust 12 crickets with calcium once per week.

Watering -i use a dripper which i add 2 drops of reptisafe to remove chlorine and any other bad impurities. i mist 3 times a day for 1 minute. once in a while ill see him drink water.

Fecal Description - his poop was dark brown color and it had a light slime look, his pee color was white with a bit of yellow slime. he has not been tested for parasites yet.

History - got him from petco.

Cage Type - i use a screen enclosure which is 18x18

Lighting - the enclosure lighting is the " Zoo Med Tropical UVB and Heat lighting kit.

Temperature - His basking temp is 85 degrees and the temp on the bottom is around 70 degrees. The temp at night is around 65-75 degrees

Humidity - humidity levels are at 55-70. i measure humidity levels with the humidity gage.

Plants - the only live plant is a Schefflera Arboricola Green.

Placement - His enclosure is located near the window on top of a medium size dresser. its pretty quiet where their is low activity of people.

Location - California (central valley)

Mine does it when I get near her :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom