Chameleon Eye Infection

olala

Hi Everyone,

My 2 years old Panther has eye infection on both eyes.

#1 Vet Visit: Only one eye was closed. We did blood work and result was normal. Doctor gave him fluid shot and flushed his eye and put ointment in there. He said the ointment would keep his eye open for 2-3 days but his eye closed in a few hours. Doctor prescribed Gentamicin Sulfate Eye Drops. We used up all the drop and it did not help. (I don't think the liquid got into his eye because it was closed)

#2 Vet Visit: Both eyes are closed now with scab covering one of his eye. Doctor gave him Vitamin A shot, washed off the scab and flushed his eyes and examined the scab. He said there were large quantity of bacteria. He then prescribed two bottles of Gentamicin Sulfate Eye Drops. He also prescribe TWO PLASTIC NEEDLE SYRINGE for me to stick the needle in his eye opening and shoot the medicine drops in there. I have been doing this for 6 days and his eyes are not getting better. Now I am out of the drops, so I have been using saline wash.

Before I have a #3 Vet Visit with another doctor.

Anyone know what is a better medicine I can use?

Last edited:
Were you cleaning his eyes with the saline before using the eye drops? It's possible that his eyes were so dirty with drainage from the infection that when you put the drops in that they were not effective.

Were you cleaning his eyes with the saline before using the eye drops? It's possible that his eyes were so dirty with drainage from the infection that when you put the drops in that they were not effective.
That's great suggestion which doctor did not tell me! Thank you!

I had a Cham with eye infections similar to yours. He was even bling for a bit with the scab over one of the eyes. The drops the vet gave me did nothing. I did some research and asked the vet on this forum. I found several different Meds that I turned around and specifically asked my vet for. I'll look up what it was. It did help clear out the infection when I used both the drops and the ointment she suggested.

ok, so.....vet had given me ofloxacin drops. And then I asked specifically for Polly B Sufate ointment. I would do the drops first then apply the ointment with a q-tip 4 times a day for a few weeks.

ok, so.....vet had given me ofloxacin drops. And then I asked specifically for Polly B Sufate ointment. I would do the drops first then apply the ointment with a q-tip 4 times a day for a few weeks.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the med's names. I was desperate for them. I wonder if the ointment can is too thick to travel through the plastic needle, I want to shoot them into his eyes.

Thanks for reminding, Matt! It's interesting I found this post you created a few hours ago and was reading it. I found a lot of wisdom in it. Unfortunately it has gone too far from just Vitamin A Deficiency.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the med's names. I was desperate for them. I wonder if the ointment can is too thick to travel through the plastic needle, I want to shoot them into his eyes.
The ointment is thick and it stays on the eye for a while so with the heat from his lights it will slowly melt and get is his eyes pretty well on its own. I think it would be too thick to put a glob into the eye turret.

The ointment is thick and it stays on the eye for a while so with the heat from his lights it will slowly melt and get is his eyes pretty well on its own. I think it would be too thick to put a glob into the eye turret.
Do you apply the ointment on top of the eye lid? If it's not in the turret, I am not sure how it can kill the bacteria...

Do you apply the ointment on top of the eye lid? If it's not in the turret, I am not sure how it can kill the bacteria...
You can kind of push it into the eye a bit by rolling the q-tip. After you put it on he will open his eye and the heat will melt it and get it in there.

Back
Top Bottom