Chameleon Eye Development genetics ?

chamillion

Established Member
Hi everyone. I believe most of you have already know about my hatchling who has no eyes.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleon-with-no-eyes.151366/

Today my 10th hatchling just came out of the egg and I realized that it doesn't have one eye :( Actually I feel happy when I saw at least it has one eye.

So the question is what effects to eye development ? Why it happened that much at the same clutch ? And I definetely take care of these little babies. Please don't tell about euthanasia, I made my decision.

Black Beard

DSC_6304.JPG
DSC_6311.JPG

DSC_6314.JPG

0.60 gram

DSC_6317.JPG

Congratulations on another little baby. He is just precious. I'm not sure if there's anything proven that causes these eye defects but Chris Anderson might be able to shed some light on your question.

He should do fine with one eye. I have a chameleon now that's bind in one eye. He is getting old but has great vision and doesn't miss a thing with his one good eye. In the past I had one that had to have his eye ball amputated due to an eye injury when he was 4 months old. He adjusted very well and had no problems getting around, eating, drinking and so forth.

Last edited:
Poor little one. At least it has one eye so it can see. I wonder if the lack of eye/eyes was caused by a spike in the incubation temperature?

While genetics and toxins can affect the development of the embryo, I think the consensus of the veterinary community is that most deformities such as you are seeing are caused by incorrect temperatures at incubation.

Sorry you have another one, but his one has a much better chance of survival and having a normal life.

Didn't you have a lot of problems with death of eggs throughout the incubation period? What temps are you incubating at? Is there any chance the incubating medium might have fertilizers added to it? I know here in America some of the perlite (the white fluffy stuff) that many breeders use as an incubation medium often has plant fertilizer added to it.

Congratulations on another little baby. He is just precious. I'm not sure if there's anything proven that causes these eye defects but Chris Anderson might be able to shed some light on your question.

He should do fine with one eye. I have a chameleon now that's bind in one eye. He is getting old but has great vision and doesn't miss a thing with his one good eye. In the past I had one that had to have his eye ball amputated due to an eye injury when he was 4 months old. He adjusted very well and had no problems getting around, eating, drinking and so forth.

Thank you very much. I think so, it will be fine.

While genetics and toxins can affect the development of the embryo, I think the consensus of the veterinary community is that most deformities such as you are seeing are caused by incorrect temperatures at incubation.

Sorry you have another one, but his one has a much better chance of survival and having a normal life.

Didn't you have a lot of problems with death of eggs throughout the incubation period? What temps are you incubating at? Is there any chance the incubating medium might have fertilizers added to it? I know here in America some of the perlite (the white fluffy stuff) that many breeders use as an incubation medium often has plant fertilizer added to it.

I agree with that, it will be fine.. I put the eggs to the vermiculit and put them in a 24 Celcius degree incubator. My first baby hatched after 6 months 3 days later. I did what this forum said for the incubation.

Thank you very much. I think so, it will be fine.

I agree with that, it will be fine.. I put the eggs to the vermiculit and put them in a 24 Celcius degree incubator. My first baby hatched after 6 months 3 days later. I did what this forum said for the incubation.

Didn't you have problems with this clutch? The eggs shrinking and dying well before their due date? I just wonder what went wrong with them. Maybe it was the condition of the female before breeding. It is troublesome that you have had so much trouble with this one clutch. It might not be anything you are doing, but going over every single thing that you know happened to the clutch might help you find the answer. It might not, too, but most of this kind of deformity is not genetic as far as I know, so something went wrong with those eggs. If it was in your control, you might want to really try to find out what could have gone wrong so it doesn't happen again. Again, it might not have been anything you did--it might just be this particular clutch. Good luck.

Didn't you have problems with this clutch? The eggs shrinking and dying well before their due date? I just wonder what went wrong with them. Maybe it was the condition of the female before breeding. It is troublesome that you have had so much trouble with this one clutch. It might not be anything you are doing, but going over every single thing that you know happened to the clutch might help you find the answer. It might not, too, but most of this kind of deformity is not genetic as far as I know, so something went wrong with those eggs. If it was in your control, you might want to really try to find out what could have gone wrong so it doesn't happen again. Again, it might not have been anything you did--it might just be this particular clutch. Good luck.

It is not this clutch, the clıutch that you are talking about has already gone. All of them were dead. This is another clutch from same female another male.

It is not this clutch, the clıutch that you are talking about has already gone. All of them were dead. This is another clutch from same female another male.

Did all the eggs go to term? Is the only problem this lack of development of the eyes? I lived `11 years in Saudi Arabia and spent some time in Libya. I understand some of your worries. Stay safe.

Did all the eggs go to term? Is the only problem this lack of development of the eyes? I lived `11 years in Saudi Arabia and spent some time in Libya. I understand some of your worries. Stay safe.

Yes they all died before hatching. For this clutch, the only problem is 2 chameleon have no eyes.

Today, I got my second one eyed baby.. In total; 2 One Eyed, 1 Eyeless and 12 normal baby panther chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom