Swollen under eye

plzhelp

Hello I just came home from work and noticed around my chameleons eyes there is swelling, he has had problems closing an eye “alternates” for about 4 months now. I’ve been supplementing with calcium plus lod ever since I’ve noticed. What do you guys think this could be from. Thank you guys for your help

Attachments

• IMG_0615.jpeg
    IMG_0615.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0616.jpeg
    IMG_0616.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0617.jpeg
    IMG_0617.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0618.png
    IMG_0618.png
    413.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0619.png
    IMG_0619.png
    420.6 KB · Views: 32
Oh now I see it. Good catch! What supplements are you using and what is your schedule with them?
I only used these for the first 8 months I had him, without d3 every feeding so every other day and with d3 twice a month maybe 3 times every 2 months. then he started closing one eye so I got told about calcium repashy plus lod and how it gives him the vitamin a he needs, so for the past 4 months my supplements have been that same calcium without d3 every other feeding and calcium repashy plus lod strictly twice a month i supplement 3 horn worms and he gets a good amount each time. He’s been eating a lot of crickets and hornworms lately I cut out discoid roaches because I’ve seen a few signs of gout

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 31
Yeah I see it in the bottom corner… could be something stuck down in under that came in via the eye. Could also be a sinus issue.

Yeah I see it in the bottom corner… could be something stuck down in under that came in via the eye. Could also be a sinus issue.
I think it’s a sinus issue I’ve seen him gaping after drinking water before. I took him to the vet like 2 months ago after seeing it a couple times and they did X-rays and his lungs were very clean. She still gave him antibiotics but i still see him gaping every so often nothing horrible but he opens his mouth and lifts head up and back for a couple seconds. Thank you for your help any suggestions

I think it’s a sinus issue I’ve seen him gaping after drinking water before. I took him to the vet like 2 months ago after seeing it a couple times and they did X-rays and his lungs were very clean. She still gave him antibiotics but i still see him gaping every so often nothing horrible but he opens his mouth and lifts head up and back for a couple seconds. Thank you for your help any suggestions
Then I would review husbandry overall for him. If he was treated and is having trouble again then something in husbandry could be off.

Then I would review husbandry overall for him. If he was treated and is having trouble again then something in husbandry could be off.
Sorry for the long response I don’t believe the medicine ever helped him, I was giving him this for 2 weeks and although he doesn’t gape too often after drinking I saw him gape like 2 days after the 2 weeks was over. When I first got him a year ago I never saw him drink but when I sprayed he would run up and stick his tongue out at the sprayer so I gave him water like that every time he would come up for like a month and I saw him gape 2 separate times back to back so I looked it up and realized that’s very bad. So 6 months later (which is a couple months ago) I see him tilting his head back pretty much every time after he drinks and sometimes does small gaping for a second or 2, so I took him to the vet they did X-rays said his lungs were very clean and they see nothing wrong with him but still gave me this medicine that was like 2 months ago and I still see him tilting his head back and closing eyes after drinking. I now give him water from slightly cracking open a water bottle and dripping it down the leaves next to him because he doesn’t drink unless the waters moving, I spent like 1300 dollars at the vet in just 2 trips with him I can’t afford to go back if you guys have any questions or might know any way to help that would be awesome thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 24
Sorry for the long response I don’t believe the medicine ever helped him, I was giving him this for 2 weeks and although he doesn’t gape too often after drinking I saw him gape like 2 days after the 2 weeks was over. When I first got him a year ago I never saw him drink but when I sprayed he would run up and stick his tongue out at the sprayer so I gave him water like that every time he would come up for like a month and I saw him gape 2 separate times back to back so I looked it up and realized that’s very bad. So 6 months later (which is a couple months ago) I see him tilting his head back pretty much every time after he drinks and sometimes does small gaping for a second or 2, so I took him to the vet they did X-rays said his lungs were very clean and they see nothing wrong with him but still gave me this medicine that was like 2 months ago and I still see him tilting his head back and closing eyes after drinking. I now give him water from slightly cracking open a water bottle and dripping it down the leaves next to him because he doesn’t drink unless the waters moving, I spent like 1300 dollars at the vet in just 2 trips with him I can’t afford to go back if you guys have any questions or might know any way to help that would be awesome thanks
Ok so since you have had quite a few posts and I believe you have multiple chams lets do a husbandry review just on the specifics of this boy. So copy and paste the below info into your reply then fill it out with as much detail as possible. Add pics of the entire cage set up as well and the cham. This will help me understand the overall husbandry and if that is effecting health. :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Ok so since you have had quite a few posts and I believe you have multiple chams lets do a husbandry review just on the specifics of this boy. So copy and paste the below info into your reply then fill it out with as much detail as possible. Add pics of the entire cage set up as well and the cham. This will help me understand the overall husbandry and if that is effecting health. :)

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male panther chameleon I believe he’s about 2 I got him when he was about 1
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Everyday he loves coming out of cage so whenever I can he’s out
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets roaches silkworms and sometimes hornworms. Feedings every other or the day after.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use zoo med repti calcium every feeding and on the first and 14th I use repast calcium plus lod
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Hand sprayer twice sometimes 3 times a day for 2 minute sessions and when I see him drinking crack open a water bottle to it dripping and I drip them on the leaf he’s drinking from.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never been tested for parasites and he has pretty healthy looking poop
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I see him rubbing his eyes every so often

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 48x24 screen cage
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hour schedule I use a 75 watt heat lamp about 10 inches from basking stick and the 5.0 t5ho bulb about 8 inches away from other stick been replaced a couple months ago
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Umbrella plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Air vent about 5 feet above the cage
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Florida I found the chameleon outside

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Puffy under his eyes I’m thinking sinus problem as I’ve seen him gape a couple times

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male panther chameleon I believe he’s about 2 I got him when he was about 1
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Everyday he loves coming out of cage so whenever I can he’s out
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets roaches silkworms and sometimes hornworms. Feedings every other or the day after.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I use zoo med repti calcium every feeding and on the first and 14th I use repast calcium plus lod
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Hand sprayer twice sometimes 3 times a day for 2 minute sessions and when I see him drinking crack open a water bottle to it dripping and I drip them on the leaf he’s drinking from.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never been tested for parasites and he has pretty healthy looking poop
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I see him rubbing his eyes every so often

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 48x24 screen cage
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hour schedule I use a 75 watt heat lamp about 10 inches from basking stick and the 5.0 t5ho bulb about 8 inches away from other stick been replaced a couple months ago
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Umbrella plant
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Air vent about 5 feet above the cage
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Florida I found the chameleon outside

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Puffy under his eyes I’m thinking sinus problem as I’ve seen him gape a couple times
Do you have info on your humidity levels or temps?

Can you post a picture of the entire cage so I can see if anything stands out?

Do you have info on your humidity levels or temps?

Can you post a picture of the entire cage so I can see if anything stands out?
I just got this set up a couple minutes ago idk if it needs to sit in there for a while to check but this is what it says

Attachments

• IMG_0902.jpeg
    IMG_0902.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0903.jpeg
    IMG_0903.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 30
This is all I have it’s located here in the cage
Ok so that is not going to give you an accurate basking temp. You need a gauge with a probe to hook in with a zip tie on the branch right below the heat. This way you know exactly what your temps are running. If it is too hot this may be why the cham is opening its mouth. Zoo med makes one... They are like 10-15 bucks at petco or petsmart. Maybe a bit cheaper.

Ok so that is not going to give you an accurate basking temp. You need a gauge with a probe to hook in with a zip tie on the branch right below the heat. This way you know exactly what your temps are running. If it is too hot this may be why the cham is opening its mouth. Zoo med makes one... They are like 10-15 bucks at petco or petsmart. Maybe a bit cheaper.
Ok I’ll get one of those, although it’s not so often the only time he gapes is directly after drinking do you think it would be from that

Ok I’ll get one of those, although it’s not so often the only time he gapes is directly after drinking do you think it would be from that
How is he drinking when he does this? Like are you spraying into his mouth or pouring water so it moves fast? This is the only reason I could think of him gaping when drinking and it being caused by the drinking... Because their airway is in the front of their mouth so they can actually aspirate the water.

How is he drinking when he does this? Like are you spraying into his mouth or pouring water so it moves fast? This is the only reason I could think of him gaping when drinking and it being caused by the drinking... Because their airway is in the front of their mouth so they can actually aspirate the water.
I spray the cage for like 2 minutes then I drip water out of a water bottle pretty fast and he drinks it while it’s running off the leaf so pretty much yes I am pouring water so it moves fast

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 30
I spray the cage for like 2 minutes then I drip water out of a water bottle pretty fast and he drinks it while it’s running off the leaf so pretty much yes I am pouring water so it moves fast
And this is when you are seeing him do it when you do this with the bottle? If this is pouring quickly down the leaf and into his mouth too fast then he could be aspirating himself.

Back
Top Bottom