Chameleon enrichment

I’m a new chameleon owner with a baby male veiled chameleon named Felt. He’s about two months old and lives in a 18-18-36 screen cage. I mist the cage three to four times a day and he
eats about 10-15 crickets a day. While I have been updating his cage and making it more dense I wanted to know what is the best product for a chameleons cage. What is the most enriching toy/environment add on I
2F34AB85-914A-43FB-8C33-9C182D8B52E9.jpeg
can give him?
My little boy —->

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Yeah that's definitely not a two month old chameleon, 2 years old is more likely.

A larger cage is definitely needed as the one you have now is too small for an adult male veiled chameleon.

Last edited:
Definitely not 2 months old, but I'd need to see a few more pics to give a better estimate. As for toys, not applicable for chameleons. Enrichment? Yes...

The best way to provide enrichment for your chameleon is to have a somewhat densely planted enclosure with lots of vines and pathways to explore. He will be able to create a territory and hunt food and protect it from outsiders. A natural type situation. Free ranging can also add some exploring but should be done carefully.

Definitely not 2 months old, but I'd need to see a few more pics to give a better estimate. As for toys, not applicable for chameleons. Enrichment? Yes...

The best way to provide enrichment for your chameleon is to have a somewhat densely planted enclosure with lots of vines and pathways to explore. He will be able to create a territory and hunt food and protect it from outsiders. A natural type situation. Free ranging can also add some exploring but should be done carefully.
Thank you.

In the first pic posted, he's sitting on the door of the 18"x18"x36" exoterra cage. Using that as a scale, he looks pretty much full grown already, if not close to it.

Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Male baby veiled chameleon who is about two months only and have been in my care for one month.

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

He’s not comfortable with me handling him yet so I don’t push it.

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

10-15 medium crickets everyday and maybe a couple wax worms. But the wax worms aren’t given often due to their lack of nutrients.

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

I give him Repti Calcium with D3 twice a week and Reptivite once a week as directed from the store I got him.

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

I mist his cage about 3-4 times a day, and I have a drip system. I take a couple minutes to mist and I see him drink every once in a while.

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

He has really large healthy looking poops everyday, sometimes twice. He hasn’t been tested for parasites.

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

When I got him along with his brothers he was the biggest there even though they all hatched on the same day. From then on he has continued to be bigger than then despite his age. (I got back to the store often for supplies)

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

18-18-36 screen cage

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

I do 12 hours of the UVB and 12 hours of the heating lamp. The UVB is a reptisun 5.0 UVB. The basking lamp is a Moonlite Reptile Bulb with 60w.

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

Temperatures during the day range from 78-84 during the day and range from 76-73 at night.

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

I live in an extremely humid area so there isn’t too much need for any help with that but I do have a digger just in case.

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

I am not using live plants but I would once he upgrades to a larger cage.

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

The cage is located
In my dear next to giant wall size windows. I usually have a window open at all times to create airflow. I live in a major city but in a newer development so there is barely any traffic or people around. I have high ceilings so the cage is on a fest but it’s still about 6ft from the ceiling.

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

I’m located in California by the beach.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

I just want to get him the best items for him cage.

--------------

I’m a new chameleon owner with a baby male veiled chameleon named Felt. He’s about two months old and lives in a 18-18-36 screen cage. I mist the cage three to four times a day and he
eats about 10-15 crickets a day. While I have been updating his cage and making it more dense I wanted to know what is the best product for a chameleons cage. What is the most enriching toy/environment add on I View attachment 243629can give him?
My little boy —->
That Cham is damn near a full grown adult, not a baby.

Attachments

• 83A0A97B-EAF0-4E18-BE24-5DD6D5CEDE57.jpeg
    83A0A97B-EAF0-4E18-BE24-5DD6D5CEDE57.jpeg
    261.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 1933F7C6-31A9-419F-87EB-26B57C9A5CC5.jpeg
    1933F7C6-31A9-419F-87EB-26B57C9A5CC5.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 102
I got max June 06th, and FLChsms told me was 2 month old then. He looks just like the this one now (size) ... and he would be about 4 1/2 month old now.
When I got him he was the biggest of the group even though they all hatched at the same time from a breeder. Ever since he’s outgrown them significantly.
image.jpg

6-7 months rough guess.

Needs proper UVB rather than the compact coil UVB you have in the dual dome... If you fill out and post the help form that Brody posted above, we can help you more with any possible husbandry issues, if any.

Enrichment, you can buy black soldier fly larvae and let them pupate into flies and let him hunt.

6-7 months rough guess.

Needs proper UVB rather than the compact coil UVB you have in the dual dome... If you fill out and post the help form that Brody posted above, we can help you more with any possible husbandry issues, if any.

Enrichment, you can buy black soldier fly larvae and let them pupate into flies and let him hunt.
I filled out the questionnaire. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom