chameleon dying ?

I forced fed him 5 last night to see if he would take it and he didn't. Gave a gave him a 30 minute bath as everyone said cause he looks dehydrated so I did then 30 minutes later he passed

The fact that he died from that, is likely signs he was too far gone that a vet could do anything (but I am not going to lie) he should have seen a vet long before this happened as you as the keeper should have realized the issue far before now. You don't have to be an expert of chameleons or reptiles in general to know when an animal you have had for 2 years is not healthy. He died from stress. The vet trip would have killed him. You should not get another animal of any kind until you or your family can afford to take them to the vet at a moment's notice. Sorry if this sounds harsh, it's true. I have numerous animals, most of them rescues, some of them I paid nothing for and yet spent hundreds of dollars to get them healthy. I don't take animals on lightly. They all deserve the best. That includes a vet fund, and research.

This is wrong. I don't think he "hates" his pet. But I also don't think he should have gotten it if he couldn't take it to the vet. You never get ANY animal of ANY kind if you can't take it to the vet. Even if they never need the vet, they always have the RIGHT to be taken to a vet. So, it's your responsibility to somehow pay for it since you are taking them on, willingly.
Thank you and your right I didn't have him. I loved him and everyone loved him too. And thought he was Beautiful and gorgeous for his colors. And yes I know every animal has the right to be taken to a vet. and also at the same time the petstore gave me the wrong information the entire time. Untill I found this forum. Which is very helpful.

The fact that he died from that, is likely signs he was too far gone that a vet could do anything (but I am not going to lie) he should have seen a vet long before this happened as you as the keeper should have realized the issue far before now. You don't have to be an expert of chameleons or reptiles in general to know when an animal you have had for 2 years is not healthy. He died from stress. The vet trip would have killed him. You should not get another animal of any kind until you or your family can afford to take them to the vet at a moment's notice. Sorry if this sounds harsh, it's true. I have numerous animals, most of them rescues, some of them I paid nothing for and yet spent hundreds of dollars to get them healthy. I don't take animals on lightly. They all deserve the best. That includes a vet fund, and research.
and i know they deserve the best but my mom didn't want to take him to the vet. because it would cost too much. as in (this might sound harsh) she said " it's gonna cost too much to take him to the vet then to get a new one" i wanted to take him to the vet but my mom didn't want to.

also it's not the fact that i couldn't afford it. it's the fact that my mother didn't want to take him because she said it wouldn't be worth it. so if anything she's cruel because she just considers them just animals that can be thrown away and buy another one so it's not my fault she didn't want to take him. but she didn't

If you were following the same advise from a pet store for 2 years and it did this to that poor creature then im honestly shocked he made it even 2 years.. sorry my friend please next time you consider getting an animal get a job first and definently do your research

Please do not get another pet until you have a way to make enough money to do what is needed so you don't have to rely on someone else like your mom to help you and please do lots of research on its needs before you get one too. This was a lesson that I hope you learned from...sad thing is that your chameleon had to suffer for you to learn the lesson.

You could easily make enough money off a part time job for your chameleon (just depends how old you are). What you would do, is put almost all of it towards chameleon care. Every pay time you would keeping about maybe half? if that much, for yourself? Depending on how much you are actually getting paid, when I had a part time job I was getting paid about 400 every pay period, sometimes more sometimes less, if it was 400, I put 100 into savings and didn't touch it. if it was more, likely 125, if it was less, around 80. That was just for vet, everything else was spent on food (though I don't buy many feeders at all, if I bought feeders it was likely 60 dollars every other month if that), I usually kept 150 dollars just for me (gas, food for me, etc.).

Please do not get another pet until you have a way to make enough money to do what is needed so you don't have to rely on someone else like your mom to help you and please do lots of research on its needs before you get one too. This was a lesson that I hope you learned from...sad thing is that your chameleon had to suffer for you to learn the lesson.
yeah i know it's sad the thing also i thought they were telling me the wrong things until i notice something 2 weeks ago

Please don't wait ,do it now . He relies on you for his care .:love:
Avoid Feeding Meal Worms Yuk
well he died already :( never go to petco or petsmart the next time i get a new one it will be from some where else. i hate petco and petsmart now they killed him :(

Okay maybe that was a little harsh. I apologize sincerely if you felt offended by it. I was just disturbed by your "it would cost more money than I already paid for him" comment. I just personally think that isn't the correct outlook of a living thing. That's all I'm saying. Sorry your boy died. Hopefully next time you can save up money and such and better take care of it. They need ALOT of time and dedication. If you can't make that comment just wait until you can. Best of luck next time. And again so sorry he died.

If you were following the same advise from a pet store for 2 years and it did this to that poor creature then im honestly shocked he made it even 2 years.. sorry my friend please next time you consider getting an animal get a job first and definently do your research
i have money. but my mom wanted him to die in peace. now i know where to get advice for next time. and to not listen to the big pet stores. and to get anther some where else that actually cares.

Okay maybe that was a little harsh. I apologize sincerely if you felt offended by it. I was just disturbed by your "it would cost more money than I already paid for him" comment. I just personally think that isn't the correct outlook of a living thing. That's all I'm saying. Sorry your boy died. Hopefully next time you can save up money and such and better take care of it. They need ALOT of time and dedication. If you can't make that comment just wait until you can. Best of luck next time. And again so sorry he died.
i didn't say that my mom did sorry for not clarifying

and thank you very much i shall never listen to pet stores ever again and get my info on here :) i balme my pet store to be honest

Good grief!!!! Spray him with water...give him calcium...force feed him....etc....etc...IT NEEDS MORE THAN THAT. From the last photo posted he is on deaths doorstep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention, the LAST thing a very sick chameleon needs is more stress. Sometimes the stress of handling an ill animal makes it that much worse. Well meant advice can sometimes do more harm than good.

There is no magic home remedy that can fix some health problems. Some of them need medications that only can be provided by the vet. Infections need antibiotics prescribed by someone that understands the bacteria they can be used against and how much and how often it should be given. Parasites need to be diagnosed, and the proper medication and dosage given.

You need to learn to watch for signs of illness before they hit the crash. They can seem subtle if you don't know what your looking for, but once the signs are incredibly obvious it can be too late.

Not to mention, the LAST thing a very sick chameleon needs is more stress. Sometimes the stress of handling an ill animal makes it that much worse. Well meant advice can sometimes do more harm than good.

There is no magic home remedy that can fix some health problems. Some of them need medications that only can be provided by the vet. Infections need antibiotics prescribed by someone that understands the bacteria they can be used against and how much and how often it should be given. Parasites need to be diagnosed, and the proper medication and dosage given.

You need to learn to watch for signs of illness before they hit the crash. They can seem subtle if you don't know what your looking for, but once the signs are incredibly obvious it can be too late.
yeah and now i know because big pet stores are stupid and don't know anything

Dear Spike3565, sorry to hear about your loss. You didn't know for one ,and you relied on the So called knowledge Staff of Petco ,or Petsmart.
They are strictly a Bulk Store for one , look at this way the people that work there work for Minimum wages for one and are trained during hiring.
Last week ,I just help out one there employees understand the care that goes in to looking after a Chameleon health. I mentioned to the employee if you want the best in knowledge direct yourself to CF ( Chameleon Forums)(y)
All the folks here take the extra steps in all levels of Care for Chams.
Myself I am so thankful for being here ,and with the additional help I get from my Breeder.:)

Dear Spike3565, sorry to hear about your loss. You didn't know for one ,and you relied on the So called knowledge Staff of Petco ,or Petsmart.
They are strictly a Bulk Store for one , look at this way the people that work there work for Minimum wages for one and are trained during hiring.
Last week ,I just help out one there employees understand the care that goes in to looking after a Chameleon health. I mentioned to the employee if you want the best in knowledge direct yourself to CF ( Chameleon Forums)(y)
All the folks here take the extra steps in all levels of Care for Chams.
Myself I am so thankful for being here ,and with the additional help I get from my Breeder.:)
well thank you for understanding unlike the other people that commented at me getting mad. i will definitely come here for any questions ever again :)

Back
Top Bottom