Chameleon died

Johnekg

Hello
One of my chameleons died not sure why? Any idea from the pictures why? I fed him with crickets and sometimes grass hoppers from my back yard.

Attachments

• IMG_8489.jpeg
    IMG_8489.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8490.jpeg
    IMG_8490.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 5
Welcome to the forum! He looks horribly thin so maybe parasites? I’m not sure why he died and we here are not veterinarians but I’ll tag a couple people in to see if they can help. I’m so sorry for your loss!
@MissSkittles @Beman

This is 2 of them so far. I’m assuming he died few days ago so maybe he’s dry or something because I feed them regularly every 2 days with crickets

Attachments

• IMG_8491.jpeg
    IMG_8491.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8493.jpeg
    IMG_8493.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 10
All of them now

Attachments

• IMG_8497.jpeg
    IMG_8497.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8498.jpeg
    IMG_8498.jpeg
    129.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8494.jpeg
    IMG_8494.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 9
Do you have them all in separate enclosures? You can’t keep them together because they stress each other out as well as you shouldn’t hold them all at the same time for the same reason. The one looks like a female veiled and she looks like she could be gravid. Does she have a lay bin available to her?

Do you have them all in separate enclosures? You can’t keep them together because they stress each other out as well as you shouldn’t hold them all at the same time for the same reason. The one looks like a female veiled and she looks like she could be gravid. Does she have a lay bin available to her?
Ok no basket for her. No idea she’s gravid. I keep them in same enclosure because I got them together from one enclosure in store. They don’t seem to be stressed but I’m not an expert. Can you suggest any baskets for her please. Any other suggestions? Probably keep them separated will be the first one

Hello! Please copy and past this form and fill it out so we can try to find out what went wrong

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem-

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. May I clarify that you have been keeping four veiled chameleons in one enclosure? If so, the stress of that alone could have caused the one’s death. Chameleons are solitary animals, not social ones and need to be kept one per enclosure and not even have a view of others. Also, they would be competing for food and the weakest one would likely get little to nothing. The pet stores do keep them together and is just one of the many things which they should not be doing. Depending on where you live, another possibility is that the crickets and grasshoppers that you caught in your yard had been exposed to a toxin or poison. Some grasshoppers, known as lubbers are deadly toxic to chameleons. We can most definitely help you to take steps to save your remaining chameleons. However, one of them does not look well at all - the paler one with the eyes closed and dirty legs…1st pic of the three. It hopefully isn’t too late to save that one, but it may be. Can you post a pic of the entire enclosure please, including lights? Answering the questions provided above will enable us to help you get everything perfect for your chameleons.

Hi and welcome. May I clarify that you have been keeping four veiled chameleons in one enclosure? If so, the stress of that alone could have caused the one’s death. Chameleons are solitary animals, not social ones and need to be kept one per enclosure and not even have a view of others. Also, they would be competing for food and the weakest one would likely get little to nothing. The pet stores do keep them together and is just one of the many things which they should not be doing. Depending on where you live, another possibility is that the crickets and grasshoppers that you caught in your yard had been exposed to a toxin or poison. Some grasshoppers, known as lubbers are deadly toxic to chameleons. We can most definitely help you to take steps to save your remaining chameleons. However, one of them does not look well at all - the paler one with the eyes closed and dirty legs…1st pic of the three. It hopefully isn’t too late to save that one, but it may be. Can you post a pic of the entire enclosure please, including lights? Answering the questions provided above will enable us to help you get everything perfect for your chameleons.
I agree with you the one doesn’t look healthy. My problem is that I’m completely new with chameleons. The other problem is that I can’t get proper information because every one is saying different things. Once the mesh cage is great in another the glass is perfect. My glass enclosure is dedicated for chameleons and it’s around 20x20x24 and it’s on the floor directly
I have got 2 mesh cages 24x24x48 that I want to put outside so they can be in the sun mostly. I’m located in south Florida. I really like to get proper insulation but have no clue who says the truth what should be done. Thank you
Different forums/websites different opinions

Hi again, these people here are going to give you great advice on how to keep your chameleons so listen to them. If you want to save the remaining 3 chameleons you have to separate them into individual enclosures. They require enclosures that are at least 24x24x48 inches. It sounds like you have two of them already. The one you are keeping them all in is too small for even one chameleon. Please fill out the form above for each of your remaining chams and we will help you to get set up for success for them! I know there’s all kinds of opinions out there about keeping chameleons but the people who’ve answered you here are the pros. Please listen to them!

I agree with you the one doesn’t look healthy. My problem is that I’m completely new with chameleons. The other problem is that I can’t get proper information because every one is saying different things. Once the mesh cage is great in another the glass is perfect. My glass enclosure is dedicated for chameleons and it’s around 20x20x24 and it’s on the floor directly
I have got 2 mesh cages 24x24x48 that I want to put outside so they can be in the sun mostly. I’m located in south Florida. I really like to get proper insulation but have no clue who says the truth what should be done. Thank you
Different forums/websites different opinions
There is a ton of misinformation out there about keeping chameleons and while I’m sure everyone says that their way is the right one, ours is what will not only keep your chameleons alive, but thriving. For the most part, we follow the standards that can be found here https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/. The man who has created that website, videos, podcasts and an e zine has spent his life learning how to properly keep chameleons. If you listen to his podcasts, he speaks to experts in varied fields who explain why we want to do things a certain way and as we learn more about their natural lives in the wild, and as technology changes, the husbandry standards are kept updated. If you want the help, we’re here.

Welcome to the forum! Sorry you’re having problems with the chameleons. Hopefully we can help you with them.

You said…”I keep them in same enclosure because I got them together from one enclosure in store. They don’t seem to be stressed but I’m not an expert. Can you suggest any baskets for her please. Any other suggestions?”…did they say where the chameleons came from? From the condition, I’m wondering if they are caught in Florida. Do you live in Florida? The stress of keeping them together in the same cage, can definitely cause death. As @MissSkittles said…the insects could have been poisonous to the chameleon or been subjected to toxins that would affect the insects.

As for a”basket” for the chameleon to lay eggs in…here you go…

We recommend that females approaching sexual maturity be put on a “diet” and the basking temperature be kept at no more than 80F. More about that later…remind me if I forget.

You said…”Once the mesh cage is great in another the glass is perfect.”…
Do you have air conditioning where they are kept? Your situation would dictate the best type of cage to use.

IMHO you need to separate them asap and quarantine them from other reptiles and each other until you make sure what’s going on with them.

Glass cages and screen cages both have their uses. If you live in an extremely dry climate a glass cage with a lower vent and a small fan can provide proper air flow and humidity. In a humid area like Florida screened cages are best.
I’m seeing the beginnings of MBD in your remaining animals. Metabolic Bone Disease comes from improper lighting and a lack of proper supplements. If you don’t have linear UVB light then sunlight can make the difference. Get those screen cages set up ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom