Chameleon Coming!!

Alastair&Anna

Established Member
Hi! My veiled chameleon is coming in the mail tomorrow and I was wondering if there is anything major I need to know. I have done LOADS of research, but I want to make sure I am doing everything I need to be doing. If you have any tips, I would love to have them! Thanks!

Hi! My veiled chameleon is coming in the mail tomorrow and I was wondering if there is anything major I need to know. I have done LOADS of research, but I want to make sure I am doing everything I need to be doing. If you have any tips, I would love to have them! Thanks!
This is something you should ask before actually buying a chameleon lol but fill out the form below and the more experienced members will go over everything and make sure your new member is good to go. A lot of helpful people here

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

• Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

• The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

• Photos can be very helpful.

Open box
place in fluffy plant, to the point it looks like you have a "pet tree"
Hydrate hydrate hydrate

Make a judgement call 4-5 hours later on feeding. Since feeding soft bodies or super gutloaded hard bodies can also help with the hydrating, but can also cause hunger strikes for the next 48 hours.

Dont check in in it, just put it in the tree and only disturb for hydrating.

My best case was after basking for an hour, (after hiding for 3 hours) he would cup feed :)

This is something you should ask before actually buying a chameleon lol but fill out the form below and the more experienced members will go over everything and make sure your new member is good to go. A lot of helpful people here

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

• Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

• The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Haha I have researched on what to do, but I just want some more opinions about the topic.

Open box
place in fluffy plant, to the point it looks like you have a "pet tree"
Hydrate hydrate hydrate

Make a judgement call 4-5 hours later on feeding. Since feeding soft bodies or super gutloaded hard bodies can also help with the hydrating, but can also cause hunger strikes for the next 48 hours.

Dont check in in it, just put it in the tree and only disturb for hydrating.

My best case was after basking for an hour, (after hiding for 3 hours) he would cup feed :)
Ok! Thanks! I'll try this.

We’re just double checking. No offence, but we find a lot of new keepers who have researched a ton, but still don’t have things 100%, especially because there is a lot of misinformation on the web. Please fill out the form if you can, we only want to help.
Here you go!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled chameleon that is 2 and a half months. Hasn't been in my care yet!

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I am planning to only handle him once he is settled into the enclosure and is used to my presence.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I have wax worms, superworms, dubia roaches, black soldier fly larvae, and a few crickets my friend gave me. I plan to give 8-13 bugs or however many he can eat in 15 min. I gut load with an assortment of things, dandelion greens, apple, banana, mango, and other leafy greens.

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have calcium without D3 to give 6 days a week. The 7th day I have Calcium with D3 to alternate weeks with reptivite.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I am planning to spray 3 times a day for 2 minutes with a spray bottle because I don't have my mistking system yet.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 16x16x30 screen enclosure. I plan to build a much bigger cage, but I got this small one for free so I am using it in the meantime.

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Linear UVB and a 100w heat bulb.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 85 degree basking spot and 72 degrees at the bottom. Lowest overnight temp would be 68 degrees maybe lower. I measure temperature with a thermometer.

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity levels are 52% and I have live plants and I spray down the enclosure to obtain this. I use a humidity gauge.

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos, Umbrella Plant, Neanthe Bella Palm, dracaena, and jade

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is located in my bedroom and is higher than most of the things in my room. I fan to get a mini fan to put next to it to allow more airflow.

• Location - Where are you geographically located? I live in California in the Bay Area

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. None at the moment, just wanting some tips :)

--------------

Please Note:

Here you go!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled chameleon that is 2 and a half months. Hasn't been in my care yet!

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I am planning to only handle him once he is settled into the enclosure and is used to my presence.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I have wax worms, superworms, dubia roaches, black soldier fly larvae, and a few crickets my friend gave me. I plan to give 8-13 bugs or however many he can eat in 15 min. I gut load with an assortment of things, dandelion greens, apple, banana, mango, and other leafy greens.

• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I have calcium without D3 to give 6 days a week. The 7th day I have Calcium with D3 to alternate weeks with reptivite.

• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I am planning to spray 3 times a day for 2 minutes with a spray bottle because I don't have my mistking system yet.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 16x16x30 screen enclosure. I plan to build a much bigger cage, but I got this small one for free so I am using it in the meantime.

• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Linear UVB and a 100w heat bulb.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 85 degree basking spot and 72 degrees at the bottom. Lowest overnight temp would be 68 degrees maybe lower. I measure temperature with a thermometer.

• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity levels are 52% and I have live plants and I spray down the enclosure to obtain this. I use a humidity gauge.

• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Pothos, Umbrella Plant, Neanthe Bella Palm, dracaena, and jade

• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is located in my bedroom and is higher than most of the things in my room. I fan to get a mini fan to put next to it to allow more airflow.

• Location - Where are you geographically located? I live in California in the Bay Area

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. None at the moment, just wanting some tips :)

--------------

Please Note:

Only thing I see is 85f is a little high for a baby, I had this issue and used pieces of wood to prop up the lamp high enough to lower the temp. Or of course you can get a lower wattage bulb

I'm also a new Chameleon owner. Just trying to make sure things are OK for him. He's a good fellow so far.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? -- Veiled Chameleon, sex is unknown, and was told about 6 to 8 months old. Had him 2 days.
• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? -- Not yet, he is still learning us, and so far isn't running from us too much anymore.
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? -- Right now feeding him crickets, live, he grabs them as they climb the cage. Mealworms but they are at the bottom and he seems to avoid going down there, won't eat from my hand. Did eat some banana today.
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? -- Calcium and Calcium w/D3. Right now it has been without the D3 added to his crickets.
• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? -- This has been the hardest part. We have a humidifier but that doesn't seem to be right to keep running all the time. We are hand misting now, a few times a day keeping his enclosure damp (the leaves).
• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? -- Orange and white, with a brown piece. Looks like pictures online, so I think that's good.
• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. -- So far nothing.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? -- Using the ReptiBreeze but have 3 sides with Plexiglass covering due to low humidity.
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? -- Not sure, need to check, had to upgrade the bulb from the one that came with it, it couldn't keep the cage warm. His basking spot is 80 to 85.
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot about 80 to 85, floor about 70. We have the room temp set at 68 so it should never go colder than that.
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? -- Initially it was too wet, the floor of the enclosure was soaked. We are getting it dried out now. We have a misting system coming, right now misting by hand a few times a day.
• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? -- No live plants right now, we plan on changing out the plastic ones with real ones. He has a bunch of branches from outside to climb upon.
• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? -- It is on a end table, near some windows, and in the main living room. We may be moving him to a better location.
• Location - Where are you geographically located? -- Nashville Tennessee

Just looking, like the OP, for tips and ideas. Being new to this, we don't want to distress the guy out, he's adorable and we want him to be happy.

I'm also a new Chameleon owner. Just trying to make sure things are OK for him. He's a good fellow so far.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? -- Veiled Chameleon, sex is unknown, and was told about 6 to 8 months old. Had him 2 days.
• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? -- Not yet, he is still learning us, and so far isn't running from us too much anymore.
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? -- Right now feeding him crickets, live, he grabs them as they climb the cage. Mealworms but they are at the bottom and he seems to avoid going down there, won't eat from my hand. Did eat some banana today.
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? -- Calcium and Calcium w/D3. Right now it has been without the D3 added to his crickets.
• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? -- This has been the hardest part. We have a humidifier but that doesn't seem to be right to keep running all the time. We are hand misting now, a few times a day keeping his enclosure damp (the leaves).
• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? -- Orange and white, with a brown piece. Looks like pictures online, so I think that's good.
• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. -- So far nothing.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? -- Using the ReptiBreeze but have 3 sides with Plexiglass covering due to low humidity.
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? -- Not sure, need to check, had to upgrade the bulb from the one that came with it, it couldn't keep the cage warm. His basking spot is 80 to 85.
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot about 80 to 85, floor about 70. We have the room temp set at 68 so it should never go colder than that.
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? -- Initially it was too wet, the floor of the enclosure was soaked. We are getting it dried out now. We have a misting system coming, right now misting by hand a few times a day.
• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? -- No live plants right now, we plan on changing out the plastic ones with real ones. He has a bunch of branches from outside to climb upon.
• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? -- It is on a end table, near some windows, and in the main living room. We may be moving him to a better location.
• Location - Where are you geographically located? -- Nashville Tennessee

Just looking, like the OP, for tips and ideas. Being new to this, we don't want to distress the guy out, he's adorable and we want him to be happy.
It sounds good to me so far. Also to find the gender out, the males have little spurs on their back feet while the females do not.

It sounds good to me so far. Also to find the gender out, the males have little spurs on their back feet while the females do not.

Thank you, I have been trying to catch a glimpse of this but the way he/she has been laying has been hard to tell. I'll keep watching, and let you know.

Here you go!

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:

Looks pretty good! I would suggest misting twice a day for about 3 minutes (once before lights come on and once after lights go off) instead of three times. Is the UVB a T5? What brand? The basking spot is also a little too hot for a baby and should be in the high 70s to low 80s. You can take down the wattage of the bulb to around 75 watts.

I just got him!! He is so much smaller than I thought. He is pretty dark in color rn cause of stress and he is chilling in one spot. But I am acting like he isn't here so he feels safer.

I believe our Chameleon is a female, she is quite chill. She has stopped hissing at us when we are misting or something. Today she was willing to take mealworms from us (end of tongs) instead of going after her own. She is seeming to become much more relaxed around us. Which is good. My son purchased her and we are really enjoying her with us.

Back
Top Bottom