Chameleon cage build

Mountain Dragon

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I’m building a chameleon cage very soon it’s going to be 6ft by 6ft by 3 ft and it’s going to be decked out with a billion plants and be perfect this isn’t for stuff to get for it like uvb and heat lamp this is like what to build and stuff. My dads very close friend is a very handy person and owns and a like I don’t know what you would call but he builds stuff and he owes my dad bc my dad built he website so he said he will do it for free (except cost of wood ofc)

So so far I have the cage plans and I’m going to build dragon strand ledges already on the cage but my own ledges

I’m think of having drilled holes in the bottom of the floor or screen for the floor and the cage will be on pvc about 5 inches tall of pvc and around the pvc will be wood so it will look like the cage doesn’t stop and there will be a flap I can open and suck the drain trays out or pull them out and clean them

I’m also going to have designated wood spot for the lights and built in stands so they aren’t weighing down the screen and they are suspended

I think I’m also going to have a designated “ diy dragon strand ledge” for the feeder cup

I’m short like 4 foot 11 and so the cage will also have built in steps only like three

also it will be on a custom table
Any other ideas

If you’re having it built by a carpenter or other similarly handy person, for drainage why not a slight tilt to the floor and have the excess water drain into some pvc tubing and from there into a bucket or other receptacle. Kind of like the gutter on a roof. It could be in the back where it isn’t seen, or even inside the enclosure.

If you’re having it built by a carpenter or other similarly handy person, for drainage why not a slight tilt to the floor and have the excess water drain into some pvc tubing and from there into a bucket or other receptacle. Kind of like the gutter on a roof. It could be in the back where it isn’t seen, or even inside the enclosure.
Oooh I like that idea I’ll add that to my list of thoughts!

☝️☝️☝️agreed If you have someone with the skills have them show off a bit but also a simple bulk head drain works great if you can get a shim or something to grade the drainage tray / pan it'll make your life easier. Speaking of I need to increase the grade to make drainage easier.

So I’m building a chameleon cage very soon it’s going to be 6ft by 6ft by 3 ft and it’s going to be decked out with a billion plants and be perfect this isn’t for stuff to get for it like uvb and heat lamp this is like what to build and stuff. My dads very close friend is a very handy person and owns and a like I don’t know what you would call but he builds stuff and he owes my dad bc my dad built he website so he said he will do it for free (except cost of wood ofc)

So so far I have the cage plans and I’m going to build dragon strand ledges already on the cage but my own ledges

I’m think of having drilled holes in the bottom of the floor or screen for the floor and the cage will be on pvc about 5 inches tall of pvc and around the pvc will be wood so it will look like the cage doesn’t stop and there will be a flap I can open and suck the drain trays out or pull them out and clean them

I’m also going to have designated wood spot for the lights and built in stands so they aren’t weighing down the screen and they are suspended

I think I’m also going to have a designated “ diy dragon strand ledge” for the feeder cup

I’m short like 4 foot 11 and so the cage will also have built in steps only like three

also it will be on a custom table
Any other ideas
This would be a great place for you to start... Listen here:

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/117-building-your-own-chameleon-cage/

Sounds like a fun project.

☝️☝️☝️agreed If you have someone with the skills have them show off a bit but also a simple bulk head drain works great if you can get a shim or something to grade the drainage tray / pan it'll make your life easier. Speaking of I need to increase the grade to make drainage easier.
He’s definitely handy so yea

From personal experience:
Do you know how difficult it is to clean or work in an enclosure more than 24" deep?
36"H seems a bit short as far as plants (especially centerpiece plants) go.
Being on top of a 5" stand also puts the cham's basking site at about 30-36" high—lower than the recommended eye level or higher.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/
LOL My snake cages are 36 deep. You kind of go, Well I won't need to get back there. I can at least pull them out and get into the top, but hopping I wont have to. The are natural and planted.

From personal experience:
Do you know how difficult it is to clean or work in an enclosure more than 24" deep?
36"H seems a bit short as far as plants (especially centerpiece plants) go.
Being on top of a 5" stand also puts the cham's basking site at about 30-36" high—lower than the recommended eye level or higher.

https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-placement/
I believe the cage is 6’ high. @Green Dino will you have any access doors on the back or sides to get access to those parts of the cage that you can’t reach?

What do you mean by this sorry
Reading it now, I see I worded it badly. :oops:
I should have said:

From personal experience:​
It's extremely difficult to clean or work in an enclosure more than 24" deep.​
36"H seems a bit short as far as plants (especially centerpiece plants) go.​
[Centerpiece plants are described here: https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/ Any time I've shopped for them, the average height was around 36", which would be too tall for a 36"H enclosure (6"-12" has been recommended between plant tops and ceiling)]
Being on top of a 5" stand also puts the cham's basking site at about 30-36" high—lower than the recommended eye level or higher.​
[Chameleons are more comfortable when their basking site is at/above eye level]

I believe the cage is 6’ high. @Green Dino will you have any access doors on the back or sides to get access to those parts of the cage that you can’t reach?
AH... Stuck in designer paradigm again...
Dimensioning convention is Width x Length x Height (e.g. 24 x 24 x 48)
When he said "6ft by 6ft by 3 ft" I thought... OK... a little short, but horizontally roomy, and then my mind went to practicalities... 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom