Chameleo montium and Jacksons?

Hilikus311

Any tips on the care for these lil guys? I was thinking of using a 10.0 and keeping humidity at around 60-70% and temps around 70-80F:confused:

well i got one tip for jackson chameleons,there hardy chameleons alright so i suggest you buy some kind of ficus and the jackson chameleon not in a cage but let it roam free in your house.

A 10.0 it's too much, in my opinion 5.0 it's better!! they require high umidity, also more then what you expect.. from 70-80 to 100 % in the hot season!!

My Jackson's does free range around the house and he's pretty fun to watch. Pretty much has taken over the living room..LOL! He has a couple of trees in several corners and a free range home base with lots of hanging pathos, a 10.0 UVB and a spot for heat . Make sure you keep your Jackson's well hydrated :)

You really dont need a 10.0 in a screened cage. You can use a 10.0 in a free range if the cham is over 18" from the light source at the closest point. Personally i wont use a 10.0. I give my chams nat sunshine whenever possible and 5.0 is good enuff for 90% of people keeping chams. Why take chances w/chams vision?

I live in Maine...definitely need a 10.0 UVB up here... We have about 3 months of summer that's warm enough to let my guy out for natural sun light. But, I use the linear tube UVB which I haven't heard damages eyes like the like spiral type.

well at this point free range is out of the question, for now, what temps should i be shooting for here? on both the chams? Sorry for asking and all i just want to get it all correct and ready don't want to lose these jewels. as far as the light goes i'm using a ZooMed Reptibreeze with fine meshing is 5.0 still ok?

well at this point free range is out of the question, for now, what temps should i be shooting for here? on both the chams? Sorry for asking and all i just want to get it all correct and ready don't want to lose these jewels. as far as the light goes i'm using a ZooMed Reptibreeze with fine meshing is 5.0 still ok?

What size reptibreeze did you get? I'm assuming that you're housing your two chams in separate cages. I would still go with a 10.0 Zoomed Reptisun UVB linear tube style bulb. Don't go with a compact style.Make sure that you have lots of foliage in the cage. For the old world chams the temps should be around 85-90 degrees max under their basking lamp with a gradient that goes down to around 70 degrees towards the bottom of the cage. Humidity should be 50% and above 70% being ultimate. Night time temps should be around 70 degrees or at least 10 degrees lower then their basking temp. :)

Also, I just noticed that you live in Texas. If you plan on taking your chams outside for natural sun every once in a while which is soooo good for them I would go with the 5.0 UVB. If they aren't going to get outside much then I would go with the 10.0 UVB. :)

Ok, Great! Sounds like i got everything covered then the cage is the medium ReptiBreeze and a small for the Jackson since it is still young 6-10" this should be ok till i get a larger cage made correct?

Yeah, it sounds like you're doing well then. The med reptiBreeze should be fine until your Jackson's get's larger..but as you know when they are adults the larger the better. Have fun with your new babies. I love my Jackson's. How long have you had yours for now???

I would not put a 10.0 over any of my montanes.
Also 90 degrees basking for a Jackson's is too hot.
60 degrees at night (they are fine with lower)
These are mountain chameleons that require lower temperatures, higher humidity and cool nights.

-Brad

I have a 10.0 UVB but it's approx 10" over my Jackson's highest perch and I live in a cold climate. Also, he free ranges so he isn't under it continuously. But, I would definitely agree that prob only a 5.0 is needed for a Jackson's living in Texas in a Zoomed reptiBreeze. A 40 wat bulb would probably be enough for a basking area to reach the appropriate temp. :)

Yeah, it sounds like you're doing well then. The med reptiBreeze should be fine until your Jackson's get's larger..but as you know when they are adults the larger the better. Have fun with your new babies. I love my Jackson's. How long have you had yours for now???
so far I have raised a male Veiled Chameleon for over a year and a half and have been raising a male panther Nosy Be for about six months and am jumping head first into the next two previously mentioned Chams and I am very anxious and excited as the arrive tomorrow, as I have been tirelessly researching the care and husbandry while setting up their enclosures. Tomorrow will be a big day. Wish me luck!

What does living in a cold climate have to do with % of UVB radiation?

-Brad

It seems that people that live in warmer climes tend to take their chams outside more often for natural sunlight and because of that they don't need as much UVB as maybe a cham that lives in a colder climate. But then again I'm not saying that everyone that owns a cham and lives in a warmer climates takes their chams outside either. I know that my Jackson's spends time outside in the summer which is very short up here in Maine. I have the 10.0 UVB linear florescent tube to make sure that my Jackson's gets enough UVB, but then again It's 10" away from his perch (basking area) so it's not enough to effect his eyesight. I think for smaller enclosures a 5.0 UVB is probably enough depending on where the closet perch is located to the light source. But, then again research is always hemming and hawing about how much UVB a cham should have whether 5.0 or 10.0 is enough. However, I've only heard about the compacts causing problems in the eyes of chams not the linear florescent tubes. My Jackson's is doing really well at this point so I know I'll continue using the 10.0 UVB until at such time there is a health issue why I shouldn't.

It seems that people that live in warmer climes tend to take their chams outside more often for natural sunlight and because of that they don't need as much UVB as maybe a cham that lives in a colder climate. But then again I'm not saying that everyone that owns a cham and lives in a warmer climates takes their chams outside either. I know that my Jackson's spends time outside in the summer which is very short up here in Maine. I have the 10.0 UVB linear florescent tube to make sure that my Jackson's gets enough UVB, but then again It's 10" away from his perch (basking area) so it's not enough to effect his eyesight. I think for smaller enclosures a 5.0 UVB is probably enough depending on where the closet perch is located to the light source. But, then again research is always hemming and hawing about how much UVB a cham should have whether 5.0 or 10.0 is enough. However, I've only heard about the compacts causing problems in the eyes of chams not the linear florescent tubes. My Jackson's is doing really well at this point so I know I'll continue using the 10.0 UVB until at such time there is a health issue why I shouldn't.

Do you have a UVB meter?
Have you measured the levels of radiation?
I would recommend a 5.0 ... my chameleons never go outside.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom