Does anyone know of any good ways to keep your dubias moving?

Raymond1412

Established Member
I am trying to feed Daffie Dubia roaches, bc that's what the breeder was feeding her, along with some other bugs. But when I put one in her feeding container, it moves around for a few seconds and then stops moving. Daffie doesn't seem to notice the Dubias at all. Any tips or tricks you guys use?

I put mine in a plastic cup I made as the feeder cup. they seem to move around.

I also put the feeders in a little container and shake the supplements with the feeders, this catches his attention so when I put them in the cup, he goes right for them.

I put mine in a plastic cup I made as the feeder cup. they seem to move around.

I also put the feeders in a little container and shake the supplements with the feeders, this catches his attention so when I put them in the cup, he goes right for them.
I tried this just now with a dubia that just shedded (Easier to eat and creamier) And Daffie did not seem too interested. She watched it for a minute, and then when the dubia stopped, she went to go bask. I've always had a hard time feeding dubias, so maybe it's just me. Thank you for your advice!

I tried this just now with a dubia that just shedded (Easier to eat and creamier) And Daffie did not seem too interested. She watched it for a minute, and then when the dubia stopped, she went to go bask. I've always had a hard time feeding dubias, so maybe it's just me. Thank you for your advice!
I too have had a hard time getting my guy to eat roaches. Same issue of not moving and not seeming interested. He will however eat if I place in front of him or by feeding tongs 🤷‍♂️

I too have had a hard time getting my guy to eat roaches. Same issue of not moving and not seeming interested. He will however eat if I place in front of him or by feeding tongs 🤷‍♂️
They will sometimes squirm in the tongs, but not long enough for Daffie to seem interested.

I put them in the feeder cup - legs up. They move their legs- nonstop but can't flip over. My Cham slurps them up.

Wow! That sure is a variety!! Daffie is 1 1/2 years old, but the breeders did feed her dubias
Have you tried grasshoppers? Grasshoppers are my favorite feeders. They require very little care and are very nutritional for Chams. Thay have very little fat.
A few times a week, I feed them romaine lettuce dusted with feeder gutload.

Have you tried grasshoppers? Grasshoppers are my favorite feeders. They require very little care and are very nutritional for Chams. Thay have very little fat.
A few times a week, I feed them romaine lettuce dusted with feeder gutload.
Hmmm, I haven't!!! Do they jump everywhere like crickets though??

You could switch to discoid roaches too. I’ve only ever seen dubia in videos and they are totally lethargic compared to discoid. Yet the discoid aren’t so fast that you can’t easily catch them. Plus, same as dubia, they can’t fly or climb.

I don’t know how comfy your Cham is with you, but I hold the feeder cup right in my hand when I feed him and when they stop moving I give them a little shake

You could switch to discoid roaches too. I’ve only ever seen dubia in videos and they are totally lethargic compared to discoid. Yet the discoid aren’t so fast that you can’t easily catch them. Plus, same as dubia, they can’t fly or climb.
Next time I order bugs, I will try those!!!

I don’t know how comfy your Cham is with you, but I hold the feeder cup right in my hand when I feed him and when they stop moving I give them a little shake
She is a little shy when it comes to eating, but she's eaten with me watching her a couple times.

I also feed anything new 1st. I add the Dubia at wakeup. Give him about 30 minutes then add the other feeders. If I give Bolt all of his feeders at the same time, he will eat things in this order 1. Grasshopper 2. Cricket 3. Horn /silk worms 4. Dubia (might not get eaten).

Back
Top Bottom