cham drinking still water?

just wondering if this is a bad thing? my cham is starting to drink still water now... like i put a little bit of water in a bottle cap and now he drinks out of it.
is this a good thing or bad thing?

just wondering if this is a bad thing? my cham is starting to drink still water now... like i put a little bit of water in a bottle cap and now he drinks out of it.
is this a good thing or bad thing?

I wonder if your chameleon does that out of preference or because he is not getting water otherwise. Other than the bottle cap, how do you provide drinking water to your cham? In any case, if the chameleon prefers to drink off the bottle cap, as long as the water is not stagnant, I don't see that as a bad thing.

I wonder if your chameleon does that out of preference or because he is not getting water otherwise. Other than the bottle cap, how do you provide drinking water to your cham? In any case, if the chameleon prefers to drink off the bottle cap, as long as the water is not stagnant, I don't see that as a bad thing.

i usually spray his plants and stuff so that he can lick the water. i use bottled water. i never use tap water

I wish mine would drink still water, he cant find the water dripper that I set up, so he only drinks when I spray.

Since you offer such a small amount, you're risking running out and could dehydrate your cham. You should be misting the habitat at least 3 times a day, are you sure he's not getting water off the leaves in your habitat? Arboreal reptiles are usually naturally programmed this way.

If you do choose to do this, I'd be careful to not let it become stagnant, clean it regularly with antibacterial soap, and refill it every day. I'd also keep spraying down your cage 3 times a day to bring up your humidity and potentially get your cham drinking more naturally.

-Dave
SPF

From what I've read some people teach their charms to drink still water by letting the dripper drip onto a leaf and roll from the leaf to a dish, giving them the option, then when the charm does visit the floor they have no problems drinking... This is done from a young age.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.456646,-2.073068

Spraying the foliage in your Cham's cage should be enough? But setting up a drip system as well would be awesome that way there's always water for your Cham :D I uploaded some pics just to show you my Drip System in action :D My Female Jackson love's her drip system.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 111
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 135
  • SANY0173 (2).jpg
    SANY0173 (2).jpg
    238 KB · Views: 175
That's what I'm going to be doing, I have the lucky reptile dripper.. It attaches to the cage and looks like a tree trunk that will drip onto a leaf and into my small exo terra waterfall that pools about 1mm deep and filters back into the rock, hoping to get a fogger in the back of the waterfall too to run in the morning for 30mins

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.456679,-2.072904

Spraying the foliage in your Cham's cage should be enough? But setting up a drip system as well would be awesome that way there's always water for your Cham :D

Yep, depends how much you mist. I mist about 45 minutes a day, using several gallons of water, so I don't need a dripper because they get plenty of water this way. But if you mist something like 15 mins a day, then you may need a dripper.

I'm of the opinion that it should pour, not mist lol But it's not practical or doable for many people, so drippers are excellent.

Dope! Hopefully you can upload some picture's whenever you get the chance Slyfox

Will do, I'm still in the process of setting it up at the moment, I don't get my baby till around the 6th of jan.. I too will also be spraying my baby my problem is I work very long hours, so I will only beable to manually spray him once a day so I need a system to keep a nice balance with misting and dripping water, I'm hoping he will venture to the waterfall to as this only trickles, I also have a termite hill feeder but I'm trying to think of something on a timer too if anyone has any suggestions? For releasing crickets, locusts and worms.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.456492,-2.072887

Back
Top Bottom