Carpet chameleon habitat

I have 10 wild caught carpet chameleons coming to me next weekend. I've had them before and for some reason the females don't do well because most of the time they come gravid and become eggbound from all he stress. I decided to do something different for their habitat this time. Instead of putting each female in a cage with a container of sand at the bottom, I decided to put all females together in a very large cage with lots of live plants and vines so they can feel more like they are in their natural environment. At the bottom of the cage I will have about 10 inches of dirt and all my plants will be planted in the dirt. My males will just have their own cages. I wanted to see if anyone has any input on this or ideas. I know carpet females are most of the time wild caught in Canada and they don't do well so I really would love to hear from someone with experience with carpets. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you

Also I don't think they'll lay in just dirt.. you should get some moist playsand in there atleast 12 inches deep. That's the depth they lay in.

I could be 100% wrong but I think I remember carpet chameleons being different from panther/veilds and Jackson's and should actually do well in this. I have never kept them nor know much about them but vaguely remember reading something about it. Get a senior member who has kept them to help you out though :) best of luck to you.

If so it'd be interesting seeing a cage that big. Making sure they all eat enough might be hard though. I know I'd get confused, say I had to keep an eye on one, they'd all be jumbled together.

If so it'd be interesting seeing a cage that big. Making sure they all eat enough might be hard though. I know I'd get confused, say I had to keep an eye on one, they'd all be jumbled together.

well if you get enough feeders mounted around it shouldnt be to big of a problem I would think, if he has time for all of these chameleons it wouldn't think he would have an issue lol ready for the challenge :D

well if you get enough feeders mounted around it shouldnt be to big of a problem I would think, if he has time for all of these chameleons it wouldn't think he would have an issue lol ready for the challenge :D

Not so much the distribution but making sure they all eat enough. Say one is on a hunger strike, how would he know?

Not so much the distribution but making sure they all eat enough. Say one is on a hunger strike, how would he know?

Yeah i would imagine in the beginning with the stress sure, but as they get adjusted(which it seems like he has the right plan of simulating their natural environment) I doubt it will happen, especially if he has a good variety of feeders to somewhat simulate what is normal in the wild(which is impossible :D but hey he can try.)

Thanks for all your interesting comment. First of all, I'm a she and my name is Monika. I've been breeding chameleons for 10 years and I'm trying something knew because carpet females always come gravid WC and become egg bound. I've already tried having them in their own cages and having a 10 gallon cage full of moist sand so they can lay eggs but they didn' want to and ended up dying. Alot of breeders that have tried breeding these species have had the same issue so I though I would give something different a chance and offer them a more natural environment. I feed my chameleons silk and horn worms mostly, I know carpets are small so they will be getting small silks. crickets, wax worms and meal worms. I recently have veilds, panthers, deremensis and carpets.... 45 adults all together and I spend alot of time with them since it's a full time job. I will know if this is not a good idea and I wrote this thread to get some advice, if I feel its not the proper environment I will have to put them in their own cages. I will keep you all posted:)

Thanks for all your interesting comment. First of all, I'm a she and my name is Monika. I've been breeding chameleons for 10 years and I'm trying something knew because carpet females always come gravid WC and become egg bound. I've already tried having them in their own cages and having a 10 gallon cage full of moist sand so they can lay eggs but they didn' want to and ended up dying. Alot of breeders that have tried breeding these species have had the same issue so I though I would give something different a chance and offer them a more natural environment. I feed my chameleons silk and horn worms mostly, I know carpets are small so they will be getting small silks. crickets, wax worms and meal worms. I recently have veilds, panthers, deremensis and carpets.... 45 adults all together and I spend alot of time with them since it's a full time job. I will know if this is not a good idea and I wrote this thread to get some advice, if I feel its not the proper environment I will have to put them in their own cages. I will keep you all posted:)

Ha I am so sorry lol I was just saying he because I did not know. :D But it sounds like a good thing to try just to see, if all else fails like you said obviously you have the space and supplies to go individual with them, I hope it goes well. Thanks for keeping us updated :D

verry cool if so could you post a pic of this large enclosure. the only advice i could think of for wild caughts is keep them VERRY well hydrated and nurished as they usually come verry dehydrated and malnurished. IF you get some babies out of these i will be for sure interested

verry cool if so could you post a pic of this large enclosure. the only advice i could think of for wild caughts is keep them VERRY well hydrated and nurished as they usually come verry dehydrated and malnurished. IF you get some babies out of these i will be for sure interested

I sure will, I have 3 mist kings hooked up in boh my rooms and i spend alot of time taking care of my beautiful chameleons. Your welcome to check my website sometime next year and see if I have any babies availalbe. I still have 15 month old carpet eggs going which is pretty crazy.

Back
Top Bottom