Care Sheet/General Care For T. Hoehnelii

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
As some of you might know, there is limited info on this species on the internet. I have found a couple resources hut they weren't very clear. I'm talking humidity, temps, food, temperment, ect. I'm looking for a care sheet or advice from someone who keeps them. @Vert340 @bobcochran? I would also like to know how you two acheive the nighttime drop;)

I'm looking to raise a male in a 24x18x36 glass exo terra with a t5. I say this because I already have it lol is the exo terra suitable for one?

I would also like info on the different locales/morphs (uganda, nairobi etc) and which one is brightes and which one needs more care etc.

The ones for sale in my area are from Kenya.

Last edited:
I would also like info on the different locales/morphs (uganda, nairobi etc) and which one is brightes and which one needs more care etc.

The ones for sale in my area are from Kenya.
There have been no imports from Uganga. All T. hoehnelii in the U.S. are from Kenya. Mainly from 2 locations. Most recent imports are from the Nairobi area. This area produces a pretty wide range of color morphs, depending on the exact area they come from.
As to which which are the brightest; they are chameleons, individual color variation is prerequisite no matter the geographic morph. Pm me if you want to see some of the variations.

As some of you might know, there is limited info on this species on the internet. I have found a couple resources hut they weren't very clear. I'm talking humidity, temps, food, temperment, ect. I'm looking for a care sheet or advice from someone who keeps them. @Vert340 @bobcochran? I would also like to know how you two acheive the nighttime drop;)

I'm looking to raise a male in a 24x18x36 glass exo terra with a t5. I say this because I already have it lol is the exo terra suitable for one?

find a comprehensive care sheet here
https://chameleons.info/_files/2000...h-Casqued Chameleon Trioceros hoehnelii .pdf

I would not gofor a glass terrarium
I do jot recommend to gonfor a small cage
Take the biggest available
Small chameleons need big enclosures,
Itnis enough when we let our big chameleons suffer in small
Enclosures

I think they will thrive in a 24x18x36. I've seen examples of people keeping them in smaller enclosures (18x18x36) succesfully.

Why do you think a glass enclosure wouldn't be good? I am new to this spieces is there some sort of requirement besides the nighttime drop?

I think they will thrive in a 24x18x36. I've seen examples of people keeping them in smaller enclosures (18x18x36) succesfully.

Why do you think a glass enclosure wouldn't be good? I am new to this spieces is there some sort of requirement besides the nighttime drop?
The general big mistake in chameleon husbandry is, we keep them in too small cages. The bigger the better! There is no reason not to five them the biggest commerxially available cages, which are actually too small fir the bigger species. At least the small species xan jave worthy sized cages.

the requirements if the high casqued chameleons are
Low nighttime temps in 50s
High air exxhange
Limited basking at low remos (max 76) and only few minutes se eral times a Day
Fog at night
Bee pollen

glass
Enclosure does not deliver
Enough ventilation

hmm I figured that could be the reason I have heard about the "chimney effect" on the exo terra glass ones and it gives good ventilation not sure if that plays a role.

Also for the air quality i'm not too worried as I whenever I have time i'm always very social with my chams I have free ranges and I take them outdoors in the summer/spring I use glass cages for all my chams and because of the air reason I sometimes keep the cages open for like an hour or so (under constant supervision of course). Would this help them get better air quality and therefore be ok to keep them in the exo terra?

Again i'm not too worried about airflow bc I take my chams out often and the cage doors are sometimes left open for the airflow reason alone (obviously under supervision).

To add to all of this The cages are by a door so fresh air blows into the room often whenever the doors are open. IF anybody would like to counter this please do i'm not an expert and I want to learn :)

Thank you @DocZ for the resources!

Back
Top Bottom