Can you sex my 3 jacksonii jacksonii please

jojothefirst

Hi.
I know j.jacksonii can be hard to sex when young as both males and females have 3 horns.
I asked for 3 females knowing they are hard to sex at this age (around 4 months) but I think the first is a male...... What do you guys think?

Suspected male?
jacksons1.jpg

jacksons11.jpg

I think female.
jacksons2.jpg

and the 3rd also think females
jacksons3.jpg

jacksons333.jpg

jacksons33.jpg

I think you are correct on all three. The first one doesnt have a bulge but the tail base is definitely thicker than the other two and the horns look larger too.

I think you are correct on all three. The first one doesnt have a bulge but the tail base is definitely thicker than the other two and the horns look larger too.

Thanks for your reply.
These 2 points are what stand out to me as well. The horns all seem in proportion on the first but on the other 2 the rostral horn seems larger.
I also notice that the first 1 has a much more rounded back, is this characteristic of a male?

Appreciate the reply.
Is the base of the tail a reliable way of sexing them? I know it is in panthers obviously but I can seem to find out about jacksons.

To some extent yes, for the reason Cain listed. It is noticeably different from the other two, but time will tell for sure

Awwww, those 3 babies are so sweet! Reminds me of Monty when he was tiny! Just a little story form my experience - when I first saw Monty and his clutch mates at 2 weeks old, they all looked the same and we thought they were all males, or at least a high percentage were males. However, a few months down the line it turned out that out of the 11 babies that survived only 3 were male! So my friend did an excellent job of picking out the one that looked most male for me at just 7 weeks of age! :D With Xanths, as you know, it's the males that have 3 horns and the females don't have any, although some of the females still have teeny tiny upturned rostral horns at 13 months old. :D They look so cute!

Awwww, those 3 babies are so sweet! Reminds me of Monty when he was tiny! Just a little story form my experience - when I first saw Monty and his clutch mates at 2 weeks old, they all looked the same and we thought they were all males, or at least a high percentage were males. However, a few months down the line it turned out that out of the 11 babies that survived only 3 were male! So my friend did an excellent job of picking out the one that looked most male for me at just 7 weeks of age! :D With Xanths, as you know, it's the males that have 3 horns and the females don't have any, although some of the females still have teeny tiny upturned rostral horns at 13 months old. :D They look so cute!

Thanks for that. Did you or your friend ever use there tail base as a way of sexing them? They are 4 months old now so I am starting to feel confident that the first is a male. As others have said, He does look different to the other 2.
I dont really want to wait months and months and get attached to him then have to sell him.

No we didn't as they were all so small and all looked exactly the same! Monty's bulge has only become more prominent just lately but only having him I had nothing to compare him to whilst he was growing. Photos are nowhere near as good as actually seeing them in person and comparing them. Like I said they all had 3 horns until quite late on. It wasn't until about 4 - 5 months that Monty really started to grow, along with his horns. Even back then it was still quite difficult for a breeder of Jacksons to tell them apart. Neither my friend nor I had ever seen baby Jacksons before.

No we didn't as they were all so small and all looked exactly the same! Monty's bulge has only become more prominent just lately but only having him I had nothing to compare him to whilst he was growing. Photos are nowhere near as good as actually seeing them in person and comparing them. Like I said they all had 3 horns until quite late on. It wasn't until about 4 - 5 months that Monty really started to grow, along with his horns. Even back then it was still quite difficult for a breeder of Jacksons to tell them apart. Neither my friend nor I had ever seen baby Jacksons before.

Thank you for your response.

Back
Top Bottom