Can you help me identify?

Underground reptiles.
This ^^^^^ More then likely wild caught and more then likely not given the medical treatment he needed when they had him. Trouble is you do not know what the cause was. Some parasites are contagious to other chams. Some are worse then others. If you are planning on getting another one... If it were me I would strip the cage throw away anything porous. Do a thorough intense cleaning on the cage. Then start with all new plants and branches inside.

So sorry for your loss... And I would not worry about adding the picture. There are no rules against it. And it is not like it is something we have not seen before.

I'm terribly sorry about what happened! If you want to, you can get a necropsy done to find out the cause(s) of death. Sending healing thoughts your way!
I am actually interested in this, can it be done by anyone? Is there anything thread or video you would recommend? I am not sure I will have the guts to do it, but I think I would like to at least try. Being WC I am really interested to know if he had internal visible parasites. When I realized it was WC I sent them an email to cancel the order, they said it was "too late" (it was like an hour later) and then I said I was concerned about his health and parasites, being WC and they said "he is in good health and we check for external parasites". They would't do anything else for me, so that was that, I had an appointment for an exotic vet, but he never made it that far.

I am actually interested in this, can it be done by anyone? Is there anything thread or video you would recommend? I am not sure I will have the guts to do it, but I think I would like to at least try. Being WC I am really interested to know if he had internal visible parasites. When I realized it was WC I sent them an email to cancel the order, they said it was "too late" (it was like an hour later) and then I said I was concerned about his health and parasites, being WC and they said "he is in good health and we check for external parasites". They would't do anything else for me, so that was that, I had an appointment for an exotic vet, but he never made it that far.
It's best for an experience cham vet to do so

I’m so sorry! Not that I’d expect them to take any responsibility, but have you contacted Underground Reptiles and let them know? This is unfortunately why many on here recommend against buying from them and similar sources. I’m sure you provided the best care for him and gave him a good life for the brief time he was with you.

What state are you in? Meantime refrigerate not freeze him.

I’m so sorry! Not that I’d expect them to take any responsibility, but have you contacted Underground Reptiles and let them know? This is unfortunately why many on here recommend against buying from them and similar sources. I’m sure you provided the best care for him and gave him a good life for the brief time he was with you.
I did and they offered me a discount for future purchases?? I told them that with all due respect I won't be buying again from them and they said there is nothing they can do, because once the chameleon is on my care, it's my responsibility, basically. I had no idea about this place. I even wish something could be done. I won't get my money back but I wish no more chameleons had to go through this and no more keepers had to go through this, because it's pretty traumatic. I assume full responsibility for not having informed myself better about this place and the kind of chameleon I was getting but their practices are highly unethical.

I’m so sorry he passed! It’s not your fault so don’t blame yourself!
Thank you so much for your kind words. I tend to be hard on myself, but now what was done was done. Like many of you said, being WC, the stress of the shipping among other things could have been the cause. I still have responsability by not having informed myself better about everything. Maybe this thread could stop someone else from making the same mistake. Like I said above, now that the damage is done, I would like to avoid others from making the same mistake or somehow hold the unethical place responsible so this doesn't happen again or at least not so often. I think back and it was extremelly easy and cheap to get this little guy, so literally anyone can do it. And their policy is nor flexible at all, which makes me think that they are not really interested in the wellbeing of the animals. If someone has ideas on what to do, please PM me. Again, I don't want my money back, I take that as my own stupidity, but would like to take something positive from this situation if possible.

I did and they offered me a discount for future purchases?? I told them that with all due respect I won't be buying again from them and they said there is nothing they can do, because once the chameleon is on my care, it's my responsibility, basically. I had no idea about this place. I even wish something could be done. I won't get my money back but I wish no more chameleons had to go through this and no more keepers had to go through this, because it's pretty traumatic. I assume full responsibility for not having informed myself better about this place and the kind of chameleon I was getting but their practices are highly unethical.
Please let we clear one thing, and I know this was traumatic for you, however there’s no blame to you and I repeat NO BLAME TO YOU. You did your best, looking at the timeframe of declining, it wasn’t during your care he declined and something underlaying was the problem, which just arose during your care. Just by coming here, feeling guilty, making adhoc changes (like adding a fogging) rings all the bells you did your best and you had the best intentions. And yes we’ll made our mistakes regarding homework, but nothing to blame yourself fore ✌🏻

Last edited:
You have absolutely no blame in this at all! None! This poor little guy was going to pass no matter what. You at least provided him a comfortable and loving home and a dignified passing. It is horrible that you have had to go thru this loss and sadness, but take comfort that you made his last days, good days.
As for actions that you can take to try and help others from the same heartbreak, there are on line reviews like Google and always, the better business bureau.

You have absolutely no blame in this at all! None! This poor little guy was going to pass no matter what. You at least provided him a comfortable and loving home and a dignified passing. It is horrible that you have had to go thru this loss and sadness, but take comfort that you made his last days, good days.
As for actions that you can take to try and help others from the same heartbreak, there are on line reviews like Google and always, the better business bureau.
Thank you, it does make me feel so much better.
Those 3 options are great options. Thank you so much for your support.

Back
Top Bottom