Camo has Coccidia...and I will be changing exotic vets!

I believe that is a form of Albon. Albon can make them very sick and stop them from eating. I would ask your vet for Ponazuril. Did you read the link that I gave you above about Albon and Ponazuril? Here it is again. Us old timers have been using Ponazuril for many years now.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleons-and-coccidia-ponazuril-offers-new-hope.16409/
Yes, Thank you! After reading it, I looked up several other posts about ponazuril here on the forums. I spoke to the receptionist and she asked the vet for me, but she didn’t want to switch her. She didn’t give an explanation or anything. This is reason number 207 to find a new vet ASAP! I never actually spoke with her...only the receptionist called me back. I am looking for another exotic vet (preferably one with reptile speciality). There is an exotic a little over an hour away but it looks like they do mostly birds from the website and they had some negative reviews online. The one I could find with a reptile speciality is 3 hrs away:(. Would you recommend stopping treatment until I can get her to a different vet? I have seriously thought about it, but didn’t know what’s worse...the parasite or the meds.

I called back AGAIN this morning BEGGING to be switched to ponazuril. I was told that they would ask her again and give me a call, but they have a hard time finding it so that's why she wouldn't switch her last week. Hopefully, they will listen this time. I told them (while crying) what a hard time she is having!

1-2 superworms a day is actually a decent bit. They are fatty and fat has more calories than protein. She's also probably hunger striking a little because chams get quickly attached to the worms. Not the healthiest feeder, but for the time being, if she's eating that at least I wouldn't worry.

I can't speak on the medicine though. And I have heard the edema can pop up in females at times, but I'm sure it could also be a reaction to the medicine.

I called back AGAIN this morning BEGGING to be switched to ponazuril. I was told that they would ask her again and give me a call, but they have a hard time finding it so that's why she wouldn't switch her last week. Hopefully, they will listen this time. I told them (while crying) what a hard time she is having!

It’s a compound drug from Diamondback compound pharmacy. They will ship it right to your door.
1-866-646-2223

She may also have eggs. Do you have a laying bin for her?

I’m outside at recess with the kids. As soon as I go back in I will have my planning period and check it out. Thanks so much! I am assuming the vet would have to call them right?

Last edited:
It’s a compound drug from Diamondback compound pharmacy. They will ship it right to your door.
1-866-646-2223

Yes, she had a 5 gal bucket in her large cage, but I put a smaller one in there and will just replace dirt and sanitize with peroxide daily.

1-866-646-2223

1-866-646-2223

Ok, I called again and left another message with the receptionist. I feel like I'm being a pain, but I don't really care at this point. I left the name & number of the compound pharmacy...and again they told me they would call me back. Maybe they will just go ahead and do it just to shut me up, lol!

FINALLY talked to the actual vet, who did try to tell me that the two drugs would do the same thing and treat the same way. After she tried to convince me to continue with Bactrim, she tried to get me to use another similar drug. I guess when she realized she wasn’t changing my mind, she finally agreed to call Diamondback. She never dealt with them and was hesitant to call them, but They immediately contacted me and it will be processed and shipped out in 1-2 days.
I am concerned that they said they were unsure of the dosage so they prescribed the bierded dragon dose:confused: I certainly don’t want to overdose her. I think they said she was 109 grams when she went in last week. I will bring home my digital scale from my lab tomorrow. I’m sure she’s lost weight!

Last edited:
@jannb im always impressed with the help I see you give people! I just wanted to chime in and say just make sure she gets some good basking time in under the heat lamp, the high temperatures will help blood flow and definitely help with medicine distribution throughout the body, usually best to give anything in the morning rather then at night, unless you have to then just give a couple hours before lights out.

Thank you! I have given her an extra hour with lights on for the past week, but it never occurred to me to give meds in the morning. Since she got her first dose from the vet in the evening, I just kept with that, but when her new meds arrive, I will definitely dose her in the am.

FINALLY talked to the actual vet, who did try to tell me that the two drugs would do the same thing and treat the same way. After she tried to convince me to continue with Bactrim, she tried to get me to use another similar drug. I guess when she realized she wasn’t changing my mind, she finally agreed to call Diamondback. She never dealt with them and was hesitant to call them, but They immediately contacted me and it will be processed and shipped out in 1-2 days.
I am concerned that they said they were unsure of the dosage so they prescribed the bierded dragon dose:confused: I certainly don’t want to overdose her. I think they said she was 109 grams when she went in last week. I will bring home my digital scale from my lab tomorrow. I’m sure she’s lost weight!

What’s the strength of the ponazuril? If it is 25 mg/ml then the dosage should be 0.12 cc per 100 grams. Normally dosed once daily for 3 days, wait 2 weeks and dose 3 more days. Wait 2 weeks and get another fecal to make sure it’s gone.​

It’s 30mg/ml. The instructions weren’t on the email they sent. I’m assuming there will be some on the package, but I could almost swear she said give it one day and wait two days and give it again. Then repeat the next week. I will definitely post when it arrives before I give it to her. I swear...this has my nerves SHOT! I trust you guys SO much more than that vet! I can’t believe she just said, oh well...give her the beirded dragon doseo_O

I was wondering do you have to throw away all live plants or can they be saved? Just wondering because my chameleon also has coccidia?

I was wondering do you have to throw away all live plants or can they be saved? Just wondering because my chameleon also has coccidia?
I did...even though I had JUST purchased several plants for her 2 days before. I just don't want to keep battling this because I didn't wash the plants well enough. It just makes sense that if you have to use such harsh chemicals to clean the cage that just washing a plant could possibly reinfect them. It might be fine, but I just didn't want to take chances.

Back
Top Bottom