Camo has Coccidia...and I will be changing exotic vets!

Any ideas On how to soak this for 10 minutes? The top part comes off with a couple of screws, but I can’t think of a container big enough to soak it with the peroxide in. Also, the back has flex seal with peat moss stuck to it. Would that have to be scraped off somehow?

Attachments

• 8022EB7B-3F88-49DE-8271-BC7189705567.jpeg
    8022EB7B-3F88-49DE-8271-BC7189705567.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 6F5C7455-CD38-4C54-887F-767454C58546.jpeg
    6F5C7455-CD38-4C54-887F-767454C58546.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 214
I'd put the 10% hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and just make anything sprayed with it stays moist for the full 10 minutes. To be on the safe side I'd personally scrape off as much of your background as you can and then redo after thorough disinfection. For ease of cleaning I'd keep Camo in her old cage (once it's been cleaned) until she has clear fecal results, and keep her with a relatively sparse set up with plastic plants and stuff you won't mind possibly throwing out. After the primary deep clean, stool should be removed as soon as it's noticed and spot cleaned with dish soap and a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. Camo will need to be removed from the enclosure during the process.

Make sure you wear gloves, and possibly a respirator mask! I deal with HemaPeroxy on a daily basis (hydrogen peroxide and peracetic acid), and at that concentration it's extremely unpleasant on the skin (and to inhale!).

Thanks! Yes, I have some 30% hydrogen peroxide in my chem lab (middle school science teacher) and have had an unpleasant burn when one of my gloves had a tear!

Thanks, I ordered some!
Thanks, I ordered some. I like that it is odorless, no rinse, & keeps working for 3 weeks. Should this be used after or instead of 12%peroxide? I am just terrified that I will not kill all of those little boogers! I do not want to end up doing this over and over again!

Last edited:
Thanks, I ordered some!

Thanks, I ordered some. I like that it is odorless, no rinse, & keeps working for 3 weeks. Should this be used after or instead of 12%peroxide? I am just terrified that I will not kill all of those little boogers! I do not want to end up doing this over and over again!

I have no idea if Star Sans is effective against coccidia... it might be worth calling the manufacturers and seeing what they have to say!

Thanks, I ordered some!

I e been around a long time and I’ve always heard that nothing kills Cociddia except 40 volume peroxide, the kind you buy at a beauty supply store. A couple of links you might find helpful about Cociddia and treatment.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/chameleons-and-coccidia-ponazuril-offers-new-hope.16409/

The vet called to check on her a few minutes ago and told me to use Odoban. It just doesn't seem like it would work. I'm finding it hard to find 12% anywhere that I can just pick up today so I guess I will be taking home my 30% and diluting it before using. She already pooped on one of the sticks in her temporary enclosure. I am just SO freaked out! I have to keep saying to myself...I will get through this....

OdoBan is highly unlikely to be strong enough to kill coccidia, at least from my quick ingredient check. That's an odd choice, coming from a vet. I'd probably stick with diluting some of that 30% hydrogen peroxide.

What a mess... hopefully Camo will be all better soon!

I did a bit of reading after I saw this post and there seems to be very little that can wipe out coccidia and not without soaking for some time, which with your setup, I would say is very unlikely to happen. Sure wish you the best with it.

I diluted the peroxide 1:1 with water (man it was still strong) and cleaned her small cage and stopped by a discount store and got her a small amount of fake foliage. I also dumped the remaining crickets and disenfected cricket bin and all accessories including tweezers spray bottle and Dripper. I got a start on her big enclosure as well. I tossed all plants, pots, dirt and branches. Over the next few weeks, I will take the enclosure on the back porch, wash thoroughly with hot soapy water and spray with peroxide for 10...maybe 15 minutes then rinse. My hope is that because she was only in the enclosure for a couple weeks and had very few bowl movements since she wasn’t eating that contamination was minimal. Hopefully a couple times a week for a couple of weeks of repeating this process will do the trick. If not, I do not know what else to do other than buy her a new enclosure. I do not plan to put her back in that enclosure until she has a clear fecal test. I only have a small amount of peroxide left so my peroxide order needs to hurry up and ship! I do worry about not having a lay bin in with her during this time though. Also, I was wondering if anyone thought I should change my cricket supplier? Can Dubia carry coccidia? On the plus side she ate some superworms today. Not surprised she left the Dubia in the cup, but maybe in a few days she will be feeling better.

Last edited:
Where were you getting your crickets? As for the dubia, roaches in general are less likely to carry parasites due to their strong immune systems, but I'd imagine coccidia could still hitch a ride on them if they were around infected feces.

Buying from local pet store but don’t know their suppliers. Dubia are kept in a bin in another room and I don’t think they would have come into any contact With anything.

Yeah my bet would be that the coccidia came from pet store crickets. So much cross contamination in the stores, even if they keep everything clean.

They were closed one time and I had to resort to the liquor store/bait shop. I’ve been wondering if that was it.

Update: Camo has eaten very little for 3 weeks now. Only one or two superworms a day if I’m lucky. She ate 1 very small silkworm yesterday and a very small hornworm today. She has refused everything else. I looked for formula to feed her at the pet store (is it called carnivore care?) I couldn’t find it. Is that something you guys think I should order? She has been taking her meds better than I expected although it’s still difficult. I did have to give a rabbit a pill 2x a day many years ago and I must say it’s easier than that! She has developed a swollen area around her neck. Is this Gular Adema? She has also been CONSTANTLY trying to escape her “ hospital enclosure “. I worry about her needing a laybin, but I know she shouldn’t have it for sanitary reasons so I’m watching her closely and she hasn’t been at the bottom trying to dig so I’m guessing she doesn’t need one yet. She just hasn’t laid eggs before so I don’t really know what her “signs” will be. From what I read they are all different and some may not show signs. All help is. appreciated.

Attachments

• 8398107C-EB68-4EE5-A3BD-96DE36150162.jpeg
    8398107C-EB68-4EE5-A3BD-96DE36150162.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 219
Back
Top Bottom