Calling All Enclosures.....

Jacksons do best when traveling to a new home when around 5-6 months. Most are wildcaught in the hobby, so unless you see pictures on the forum or something and get to talk to someone with breeding specifics I wouldn't buy from someone who says they are bred in captivity. Unless you find a long term captive (I prefer 5 months AT LEAST preferably 1 year in captivity), then I would avoid jacksons. They are pretty much the same as any montane, they require less supplementing, they need a LOT of hydration, do well with a higher humidity, like a few foggings throughout the day. I would never keep a montane unless I had an automatic mister. The do better with lots of plants and privacy. I definitely recommend doing what @jajeanpierre says. I am just hitting basics. They do better with lower temps and so usually need lower temp drop at night too.

Thank you very much. I will definitely look into that. @jajeanpierre, thank you for taking the time to invest your knowledge of how to research. I appreciate it. I will definitely take a look at that site, it sounds great. I know several other sites about chameleons, such as Much Ado About Chameleons and Chameleon News, etc. Will these help me with my research?

Thank you very much. I will definitely look into that. @jajeanpierre, thank you for taking the time to invest your knowledge of how to research. I appreciate it. I will definitely take a look at that site, it sounds great. I know several other sites about chameleons, such as Much Ado About Chameleons and Chameleon News, etc. Will these help me with my research?

I think the trick to solving the puzzle that is keeping chameleons is to learn where they come from and get an understanding of where they live in that environment. Then you start having a feel for them and whether they are a good fit for you.

Think of them as a puzzle. I am not fond of care sheets simply because they don't teach you how to tease out how a particular species fits in your home. Sometimes an individual doesn't always behave they way one expects the species to behave. For example, I have Trioceros quadricornis graciliors that will hide from the sun, yet others will sit out in the sun heating up and just loving it. I know my graciliors will dehydate outside in cool sunny dry weather, so to give the sun worshipper what he wants, I have about five or six mister nozzles running all around him and he is in heaven.

Back
Top Bottom